1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is it plausible to link the Harry Potter and Naruto universes this way?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by artenry, Nov 30, 2008.

1. artenry

artenry Guest

I'm in the beginning stages of writing a Harry Potter / Naruto crossover story, and am trying to flesh out plausible link or connection by which I can send Harry Potter to the Naruto universe, and then build on that for more ideas.

So, a brief summary of the massive post I have below:

Harry Potter and the Naruto universes are linked by Death-based magic, early branchings of which have created the Deathly Hallows in the HP universe, and the Jashin religion in the Naruto universe.

###

Harry Potter is, briefly, in possession of all three Deathly Hallows at one point in the seventh book, right? The Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, and the Invisibility Cloak... The symbol representing the Hallows is as such:

[​IMG]

A triangle symbolizing the Cloak, overlaid by a circle symbolizing the Stone, and a straight line down the middle representing the Wand. All together, I figure, they are the only existing artifacts that hold magical significance directly originating from Death itself, right?

###

Now, with the Naruto universe, as I understand it there is a religion centering around a deity called Jashin, and the religion considers anything less than death and destruction as a sin, and its symbol is represented by this:

[​IMG]

In the case of the Naruto universe, the character Hidan stands in the middle of this symbol much in the same way the Elder Wand would be situated in the middle. I have no idea what the underlying symbols are, but I guess I'm allowed to speculate for the sake of fanfiction, right?

###

Would you all say that there is enough of a similarity between the two symbols for me to use something like the excerpt I've written below, in my story?

Death is immutable, a force that has existed in tandem with life for as long as time itself. Death can only be delayed, never arrested - its reach extends forevermore, and the magnitude of its inevitability is overshadowed only by the sheer effort made to escape its clutches.

There are examples, of course, littered throughout history of attempts to hide from, and to cheat, Death. The most notable, and perhaps most recent, example of an attempt in our history is the Horcrux - an ingenious, yet heavily twisted, manipulation of soul-based magic in which a magical practitioner splits off a piece of his or her soul through a ritualized murder of innocent blood, and binds it to an earthly object. So long as one of these Horcruces remains intact, the rest of the soul cannot pass on, and the practitioner will remain alive - lesser than the merest shade, but alive nonetheless.

One that traces farther back into magical kind's history is the story of the Deathly Hallows - artifacts enchanted by Death itself. The Elder Wand, imbued with the powers of war, allowed its user to be unbeatable in combat. The Resurrection Stone, when turned thrice over, reached into the realms of the dead and brought back their spirits. The Invisibility Cloak, originally named the Aegis Shroud, shielded its user from sight and detection.

Research into this branch of magical lore has revealed what could be an early branch, or even a parallel formation, of Death-related magic. What limited information there is suggests a demigod known only as Jashin, who was worshiped by a group of cultists - all those who subscribed to his power were granted protection against fatal injury and the power to be undefeatable in combat.

Further examination of the symbols that represent each sect of magical lore reveals a startling similarity - the Deathly Hallows are symbolized by a triangle overlaid by a circle in its interior, with a straight line down the middle vertice. The religious mark for Jashin is symbolized by a circle overlaid by a triangle in its interior, with the practitioner of the symbol standing in the middle.

Coincidental? Perhaps.

###

At this point I haven't completely fleshed out the rest of this little tidbit, but I think you all get what I mean - I'm linking the two symbols together.

Criticisms and discussion are welcome, on the aspects of my line of thinking and the excerpt that I have posted. Any and all help is appreciated.

2. artenry

artenry Guest

... I feel like I've made a grave error in posting this here at all.

Something I did? =/

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Not merely grave, but a fatal error. :D

There is the fact that you want to crossover Harry Potter and Naruto, which I am tempted to say is automatically something destined for failure, but yeah, this connection is I think well-conceived. If you were to write it, it would by default be better than every HP/Naruto crossover in progress right now.

4. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

The two universes just don't work well together, and I have yet to see a good crossover involving the two. That said, I think your concept is actually fairly reasonable, so good luck to you.

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's an interesting observation that could link the two worlds, but it's not a story yet, as I'm sure you're aware. Regarding the kind of crossover you're looking to do: you're going to have to do a lot of work to integrate them and avoid obvious collisions between the two worlds. I'm skeptical that HP/Naruto can play together nicely in a natural way; I've yet to read even a halfway decent HP/Naruto crossover, much less a good one.

For instance, the morality of the two universes related to killing is far different: in Harry Potter, the act of cold-blooded murder is so heinous as to enable one to cleave one's soul and create a horcrux. In Naruto, killing is basically a B- or C-ranked mission, a regular occurrence for a Chunin or above. Heck, they expect deaths and killing in their examinations for promotion to Chunin, the Naruto pseudo-equivalent of the OWL examinations. Contract killing of innocents is commonplace, part of the shinobi way.

Another major conflict is that in Naruto, every ninja kid is essentially a prodigy. In the extreme case, Itachi was graduating the academy at age 6 or whatever, being a Jonin-level uber-badass by age 11. At the same age in Harry Potter, they're just getting to Wingardium Levioso.

I'm not trying to discourage you so much as make sure you recognize the challenges ahead if you go this route. I just finished a NaNo crossover novel (HP/Eternal Champion) and I found balance and integration of the two worlds to be by far the biggest challenge. The two I chose were much more complementary than the ones you're attempting.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

*sigh* agree with Andro and Perce about crossing HP with Naruto. Though if you are trying to mix them it is pretty much guaranteed to be better than any of the crap out there. Your way is quite good. Also, if the relation between DH and Jashin is actually vital to the plot, you may just be able to pull this off with more than 3 stars to your name in the review section. As Perce says, you'll have to pay attention to the details, like social morality, language and relative power levels.

But if the link between DH and Jashin is not important to the plot and you simply want Harry to be transferred to Naruto-world, and are looking for a way, try something more...tangible.

Like below (this is just something random off the top of my head, take it with a bag full of salt) -
    A hidden continent, under a powerful illusion placed by early ninja who saw that their powers were not to be lightly displayed. They were hidden away much like wizards hid themselves away. And so, ninja lived on that continent and as time passed they forgot about the outside world. Then during whatever time period you are interested in, have some random ninja (a criminal maybe, trying to escape a death sentence or something) accidentally break through the illusions and appear somewhere on the Pacific Ocean showing strange abilities like manipulating earth/breathing fire - you get the idea, I hope. Get the wizards interested and take it from there.
    Have Harry and the guys be young aurors or whatever being assigned to investigate this fellow and getting dragged into the ninja world. That'll leave you the option of bringing them back to the wizarding world. If you want this to be a one-way ticket for Harry alone, then have the investigating team killed while trying to overcome the illusions and other protections around the continent. Then have the trick to escaping from the continent once Harry's on it, be a plot point like a seal array that can only be found and activated under certain circumstances.

All the best with your story. It's pretty ambitious but I hope you're able to get this going. A good HP/Naruto cross will definitely be interesting to read.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate Naruto and everything related to it. As it is however, your ridiculously long essay, complete with handy diagrams, was very convincing. If you can write it as convincingly, you might well have a winrar on your hands.

8. artenry

artenry Guest

I see I have my work cut out for me, lol.
    Thanks, all of you, for your help, =D.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I'd read it out of pure, unadulterated curiosity.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

That cracked me up, LMAO. Probably really common, but this is the first time I saw it.

Anyway, the cross-over -- I haven't ever read a real cross-over, and I have no plans of doing it (okay so that's a lie, but I read HP/Dresden only because there are so few Dresden fics ... nuhuh, write that next chapter of Winter's Night, damnit :p); I simply don't see the point or rather, the points there are don't work for me as a reason, but as other said, at least you put quite a bit thought into it.

I wish you luck with the writing.

(...yeah, I was desperately searching for something to make this post not OT. Feel free to ignore it.)

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vash... >_>

Demon's Feign is nuhuh's. Abjuration is Jon's. The Denarian Trilogy is Shezza's. Awaken Sleeper is Water Mage's and That Last Emotion is Amerison's.

I'd go on about how wrong it is to mistake all those but I'm kinda guilty of it myself >_<.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Nah, I was talking about the Omake-series. It's nuhuh's turn there. Harry/Maeve <3

Although I wouldn't say no to an update of the actual story either.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  13. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

In my opinion crossovers only have the right to exists if they go "up" from cannon. Harry Potter world, lets face it, is slightly retarded. There are interesting aspects of it, and colorfull characters, but on the whole the world is little , or not so little, childish. Therefore, good crossover will throw Harry into some other, more mature set-up provided by fandoms like Stagate, Dresden Files or even LoTR. But making crossover with more childish fandom is really bad idea (I don't mean to insult any Naruto fans, but I consider Naruto a pokemon-wave thing). On the other hand, if someone likes Naruto and Harry Potter, your idead is not half bad.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008