1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Usage Aid in Naruto Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Lutris, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

For those of you who read Naruto fanfics, I think all of us have experienced the horribly utilized Japanese words mashed together to create 'original' jutsu names.

There are those writers who do it right or with very few errors, but there's entirely too many of them with decent or intriguing plotlines that go to waste because of the large amounts of confusing and downright wrong jutsu names and japanese phrases.

I think this has been discussed many times on the boards, in lots of different threads, but me, as a native speaker of the language, really can't ignore this any longer.

I 've seen some authors who ask for Japanese help at the end of their chapters, and I've decided I really want to help (I hope I didn't sound too confident of my abilities, or arrogant).

So, if there's anyone who's having trouble translating or formulating a Japanese name, I'd like to open a little workshop of Japanese help here, much like DGD and Vash have done with the Photoshop and the Smut shop.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I THINK I've been using Japanese properly in my story for the most part (or at least, nobody's come out and told me otherwise yet). Still, if I need help with something I'll ask for it here.

3. li.u

li.u Fourth Year

Since I don't really know any Japanese, I normally don't care as long as it sounds like it...everything's better than Jutsu's in English. But why have it wrong when you can have it right...so I guess this thread's a good idea.

4. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

For jutsu/names whatnot, I usually use freedict.com. Not sure if the translating there is flawed, but... yeah.

5. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

What annoys me is when people use the katakana version instead of the actual Japanese word.

I'm pretty sure you have been too, LT2000. I love your story, so I would have definitely posted something in a review if I caught you doing that.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I have a highly comprehensive databse of words and translations.

Atlas Ftw, it's ultimate beast.

7. I could use some help, i have several attacks in english that i would like translated if you didnt mind.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I guess I'm glad I can't read Japanese, because this doesn't bother me at all.

9. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    As I am learning Japanese, I agree with Lustris as to how flawed the usage is in most fics. Mostly, though, its just the names that they mess up, but thats probably the worst thing that they COULD mess up. >_<