1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Just a Word by Saucie

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Revlis, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Revlis

Revlis Squib

Title: Just a Word
    Author: Saucie
    Rating: K+
    Genre: General
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: Ron/Hermione
    Summary: She says You-Know-Who's name now. He hates it. (Ron's PoV)
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1883661/1/Just-A-Word

I liked this, I found it to be an interesting character study of Ron. Which isn't something I thought I'd been interested since I'd largely forgotten that he'd existed. However, the formatting in this really irks me so I'd only give it a 3/5. Though, I do think it is worth reading if just as a mild reminder that there is more to Ron then being the average member of the trio.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I liked it. It was an interesting, and refreshing, look into Ron's character. It's nice to see a Ron who is portrayed accurately, like a regular teenager.

I'll give it 4/5. It's not really memorable enough to be worth 5, and lack of length and slightly annoying format count against it.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, probably closer to a 2.5/5 for me. It doesn't rely tell us anything we don't know about Ron's character and it was difficult to read because of the injected ().

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

3.5/5 here. It's a bit, well, odd. The ways it's written is disjointed, and I know that most of that is intentional to give us an impression of Ron's somewhat chaotic thoughts, but it's still strange.

It's the first time I've seen anyone give an explanation quite like that of why so many kids in this time period are scared to say the name. The author did a good illustrating what it could have been like growing up with people always telling you not to say it, enforcing it, etc. It wasn't just a name to any of them, it was a cultural imperative almost to not say the name.

5. Lawyer in Exile

Lawyer in Exile Second Year

It felt uninspired, like an assignment does, couldn't hold my attention. Nothing new, nothing original in it. 3/5 for not being bad.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's not a bad idea, and if you can get past the chaotic format it's not badly written. But it's essentially one note repeated over and over again, and while it's not something I've seen explicitly stated before, at least in canon, it's hardly a revolutionary idea.

3/5 is about right, I think.

7. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I'm kind of ambivalent about this one; it's hard for me to decide whether Ron comes off as realistically pathetic or just plain pathetic. Either way, though, he's pathetic.

That said, it's an interesting character study, but then again, the italicized injections are jarring. They'd pop up in the middle of sentences

(it pissed me off, man!) and they'd also precede line breaks for no discernible reason. Just killed it for me. Fuck it, 3/5.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012