1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Kagemane Complete by Anbu-Dave - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Perspicacity, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Title: Kagemane Complete
    Author: Anbu-Dave
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairings: Shikamaru Nara/Anko Mitarashi

Summary: Shikamaru makes a single, different choice at the beginning of the chunin exams. With it he makes a mortal enemy of Orochimaru and must try to outmaneuver the sanin. Adventure/humor/romance.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6309413/1/Kagemane_Complete

A "for want of a nail" Shikamaru-centric story where canon deviation occurs just before the second task of the Chunin examination. Shikamaru works out and manages to foil Orochimaru's plans for Sasuke and the invasion, casting him into the spotlight far earlier than he would like. It's 200k words and feels like it's nearing the end, though the author hasn't updated in several months.

The tone is dark throughout and the author's selection of the Humor category is probably misplaced. What it is is an action/adventure yarn that is possibly the best Shikamaru-centric story in the fandom. You get pretty much the whole package here--high quality writing, serious development of multiple characters (Shikamaru more than anyone, but also Chouji, Anko, Neji, and others), believable relationships, decent action, a plot that's fresh (rare in the fandom, nowadays), and Shikamaru's scheming and descent into ruthlessness at its best. There are a couple of "crowning moments of awesome" that I won't spoil. That said, he's not a Gary Stu here--he screws up, sometimes royally, and there are real consequences for his failures. The Anko romantic pairing is a muted thing, humanizing the characters, not taking center stage. This is about right for the story.

I found the story to be a refreshing break from all the "lovable idiot" Naruto-centric stories littering the fandom. Two things keep it from being a 5/5 in my book: The first is that while the story is nearly complete, it leaves off before what appears to be the climax and it has been nearly a year since the last update. The second is that a few of the plot developments seemed a bit too convenient (the amount of latitude the Godaime gives him strained credulity for me in one place in particular).

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What is Naruto's place in all this?

3. Perspicacity

High Score:
    He's there as his canon self, though not a major character.

4. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I've read the first 6 chapters for now and it certainly is fresh and interesting.
    I just feel that at times some of the characters feel OOC. I know its already months from the point of departure and there is a lot of character development going on, but still it seems weird that some of the characters make - to me - surprising decisions.
    I feel that shouldn't really happen in a story if you developed your characters well enough.

Especially the Sasuke business has left a bad taste in my mouth. It just seemed like all the characters in those scenes acted strangely.
    I don't know yet if there's a broader point to it in the plot, but I hope there is. Otherwise that was just character bashing.

5. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Interesting concept, but the execution is mediocre. Almost recommendable, sure, but not library worthy.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I would sooner eat raw shit than read something that centers on Shikamaru.

7. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I read five chapters too many...

I was hoping this would be a decent distraction/guilty pleasure but it was mostly Gary Stu Shikamaru. He is already a special jounin. He is way smarter then everybody else. This just sucks unless your looking for Shika too splooge on your face.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Read first chapter, and completely agree with Jester.

It's just Shikamaru winning at everything. The writing is pretty decent, but the story is just awful. Everyone else seems to just listen and follow Shikamaru's advice, with none of their own input - despite being decades more experienced than him.

2.5/5 - As decent as the writing was, the story was just too bad.

9. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I agree that the first few chapters, like many stories in the library, were less than impressive. I think this story hits its stride several chapters in,
    around the time Shikamaru's family is slaughtered and he's captured and tortured by Orochimaru,
    but I appreciate that it would require a leap of faith to bother reading that far.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have bothered putting this up for review since I almost never do with any story, no matter how good (my tastes being sufficiently different from those of the DLP rank-and-file that my enjoyment is a poor metric). I'd considered the novelty of this one to compensate for the flaws in execution and thought it was probably, on balance, in the neighborhood of 4/5, at the lower edge of Library-worthy. (That said, I find the Naruto fandom to be exceptionally monotonous on the whole, with few real gems to speak of, and probably overrate novelty relative to other factors.)

10. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Generally anything you say is worth reading is good enough for me. I have enjoyed most of the things you have recommended. I went back and read a bit more too see if it would change my opinion but I would maybe give it a 3 just for the spoiler you pointed out. It gets better but it doesn't make up for the Ultimate?Shiki

11. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Kagemane Complete has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 242,309
    Updated: 2020-07-20 07:09:46 UTC
    Published: 2010-09-08 23:47:49 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 years ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don’t think I read this back in the day. On a whim I opened to the most recent chapter. I wanted to share the opening because hot damn I did a spit take at the WTF.
    ... what?

13. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeaah.

This was on my favorites list, but if I was reading it for the first time this year, I doubt I'd even finish the fic. I vaguely remember it being borderline 3/5 back forever ago.