1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Katekyo Hitman Reborn Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Child of the Moon, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Child of the Moon

Child of the Moon First Year

I'm looking for a decent Reborn! Fic. Preferably a darker realism kind of theme but anything good is appreciated. Also, if anyone finds a good Fic crossed with Naruto or Bleach that would be awesome.

2. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

3. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm still reading the second one, but man is it painful.

On a side note cywcross' work is readable at least considering the state of the fandom, wish there wasn't any bashing tho. Iemitsu could be a fascinating character if done right.

And I hate gratuitous Japanese. :/

4. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I'll throw out Ten Little Soldiers by Orrunan. It's a series of one-shots told from the perspective of police in different times and places as they interact with the Vongola Famiglia. In my opinion it's the most well-written story in the fandom.

5. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Yeah, it's pretty hard to expect top notch fics from this fandom. The ones I recommended are just some I thought were somewhat readable.

6. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I'm gonna hit the highlights here. There are a number of readable/decent KHR fics out there, and I've been burning my way through the archives for the past few months. General author recs are cywscross, Lys ap Adin (great author, but usually not my thing), Nightsmoke, metisket, and long live marshmallows.

Raison d'Être by cywscross: A few weeks after Reborn arrives in Namimori and Tsuna's life is turned upside-down, a young man with ancient eyes and an easygoing smile wanders into town as well. And all of a sudden, everything changes, another path is laid out, and what little sense left in Tsuna's world promptly flies out the proverbial window.
    Notes: Master of Death Harry Potter strolls into town with Shamal when Tsuna gets Skullitis. A moderately decent canon rehash trickles the characters into slightly better circumstances than where they'd started. Give It a Year is a collection of one-shots taking place in this universe. Unfortunately, Iemitsu is a belligerent ass as per the author's self described 'bashing.'
    Word count: 95816
    Rating: 3/5

To That Faraway Sky by cywscross:
    Tsuna's never liked attention so it's only natural for Ienari to stand out more. But being himself means a mom and a brother who don't care about him, and Tsuna doesn't have enough tolerance to overlook it for long. He won't change who he is just to make them like him so he leaves. Three years later, Reborn arrives to train Nari, only to discover that there's one Sawada missing.

Notes: Twin-fic. Tsuna is a shy genius who is dramatically outshone by his abusive, athletic twin brother. Nana is the villainous parent in this, leaving Iemitsu as the oblivious-but-innocent loving parent who is left in the dust when Tsuna runs away from home after a Ienari is convincingly portrayed as a budding psychopath. The premise is a little wonky to me, but I am extremely fond of the story itself.
    Word count: 46374
    Rating: 3.5/5

Tsunahiki by metisket: Tsuna's ongoing, sort of unwilling attempts to be everything to everyone.
    Alternative summary: “Someone else threatening Sawada Tsunayoshi?” Hibari says in passing, mildly interested. “Brave. He burned the last one to death.”

Social disaster accomplished, Hibari walks on by.

Notes: Short piece set immediately after the Byakuran arc when all of the characters have returned to their normal lives, and Tsuna's dealing with balancing his new, scarier self vs the world outside of the mafia.
    Word count: 4250
    Rating: 4.5/5

For the Love of the Game by metisket: In which Yamamoto wanders through life smiling, joking, and terrifying bystanders.
    Alternative summary: It strikes him as weird that he’s had to struggle not to kill people, that it’s been such a challenge. He’s pretty sure that for most people, not being a murderer is way easier than being one.
    Notes: A Yamamoto character study where he plays off of the people in his life. There is an implied unrequited pairing.
    Word count: 8094
    Rating: 5/5

Close to Home by metisket: Everyone watching the spectacle that is Hibari Kyouya raising a child in fascinated horror.
    Alternative summary: Hibari treats child-rearing almost exactly like animal-training—the same basic pattern modified for a bipedal, very intelligent creature. It’s a little upsetting to watch. On the other hand, both his animals and his child seem happy, if odd, so maybe it works out.
    Notes: Chrome/Hibari, ten years later.
    Word count: 14530

On the Outside by metisket: Iemitsu’s disturbing youth and misadventures in parenting.
    Alternative summary: “You have a kid?” Lal Mirch looks betrayed by the world. “You? A*kid?*Aren’t there laws against people like you breeding?”
    Notes: Iemitsu character study. Best Iemitsu fic in the fandom.
    Word count: 12401

The Dead and the Forsworn by metisket: Hibari is starting to doubt that his carefully ordered world will ever recover from Sawada Tsunayoshi.
    Notes: A day in the life of Hibari Kyouya, lover of small helpless animals.
    Word count: 2928

Relative Reality by metisket: Yamamoto and Gokudera have lunch together every Saturday. Tsuna can't decide if this is a good thing or just the cause of more ridiculous problems.
    Notes: Yamamoto regularly mind screws Gokudera.
    Word count: 3314
    Rating: 4/5

Countdown by metisket: A series of vignettes about Tsuna, his guardians, and the people closest to him—snapshots of the impact they all have on each other (and that life has on them) over ten years.
    Alternative summary:He never wanted to stand out, not in either direction. Is that really too much to ask? He’s not asking for great!

He’s asking for normal,
    normal.

Apparently it is too much to ask. Apparently it’s always going to be all or nothing with him.

Notes: This is a ten-part one-shot where each piece is a vignette from each year from the time Tsuna's fourteen until his twenty-fifth birthday, written post-Shimon arc and pre-Arcobaleno arc. There are a few implied background pairings, with one explicitly stated minor fem-slash pairing.
    Word count: 15440

If You Can't Beat 'Em by metisket: Hana finds that it’s difficult to take care of your best friend when your best friend has all the self-preservation instincts of a lemming.
    Alternative summary: Hana doesn’t know how this happened. No, wait, she does know how it happened. Kyoko made that pleading face, and Hana is weak to the pleading face. She knew Kyoko made poor life choices, but she didn’t realize they were*contagious.
    Notes: Hana Kurokawa character study, where she starts as an outsider POV and then follows the main cast down the rabbit hole of poor life choices and the mafia. Ryohei/Hana.
    Word count: 16436

What We Fought For by metisket: The KHR mafia and the real world mafia collide. It’s like a celebrity deathmatch.
    Alternative summary: Tsuna loved Naples from the start. Reborn had trained him to love things that might kill him at any moment, after all.
    Notes: Post-series Tsuna meets the less out-of-this-world side of the mafia in Italy after things like the box weapons and supersoldiers are made obsolete/hidden by the Vongola. It doesn't go so well. Six years later, he sets out to destroy them all. Warning for a brief moment of wtf with the pairings implied.
    Word count: 23842

Choice: Betrothal by Lys ap Adin: In which Tsuna isn't Tsuna but Tsunako, and lived with her parents in Italy for a few years before circumstances made moving to Namimori seem advisable. And changes spiral out from there. For the prompt*Xanxus/Tsuna - genderswap; "don't look down on me because I'm a woman."
    Notes: I don't actually like this series all that much, despite how well done it is. Fem!Tsuna is raised to be betrothed to favored son Xanxus in a nauseating and corrupt political mire. WIP.
    Word count: 92801

yesterday's tomorrow by misamiera: The last thing Tsuna needed after dreaming of some crazy future where babies were hitmen and he'd become a mafia boss was it actually coming true. After all, dreams aren't meant to become real.
    Notes: WIP, time travel. TYL!Tsuna sends his memories back in time to his younger self. Nice little fic, and I'm disappointed that it hasn't updated recently.
    Word count: 41929

The Sun Always Rises by lacewood: In another world, Kyoko lived a very different life - and Tsuna had a different Sun guardian.
    Notes: Fandom staple.
    Word count: 9724

The Piano Room by morphaileffect: Gokudera Hayato is feared as the Vongola's right-hand man for a reason.
    Notes: N/A
    Word count: 2849

In Retrospect by Makeste: Irie Shouichi and the two men who changed his life. On making mistakes, and dealing with the consequences.
    Notes: Character study. The things that drove TYL!Shouichi. Alternate to canon.
    Word count: 5845

Grapes Into Wine by joosetta: The beginning.
    Notes: Reborn character study and invented backstory. The characterization is surprisingly plausible.
    Word count: 2133

Of Sparrows and Princes by sllebswap: Various one-shots depicting the complicated relationship between Belphegor and Haru.
    Notes: A well characterized straight up smutty romance between The Prince and Haru that begins when Haru goes to upgrade the Varia's security system and gets saddled with Belphegor as a babysitter. There are several brilliant moments in this story, but it's so long that you might want to give it a pass anyway. There is a WIP sequel in the works, too.
    Word count: 317359

Power of the Vongola Decimo by long live marshmallows: Tsuna and his Guardians help various people who are in need of help, whether the trouble is from the Mafia, Yakuza, or your every day gangster. A series of ONESHOTS starring different Guardians in each chapter.
    Notes: Several things about this story bother me, but at the end of the day it's a decent, uncomplicated gen fic highlighting aspects of the Vongola Guardian's characterizations.
    Word count: 101643

6 Times the Guardians Came Back Injured by WaiiKitsune: ...and 1 time their boss came back critical.
    Notes: With a bonus Reborn chapter, another character study on the 10th Generation Vongola Famiglia.
    Word count: 56126

Thunderstorm by LavenderSkies: A story about how the 5-yr-old Crybaby became the 25-yr-old Thunderstorm… the girl who had always been his support… and the man who was pivotal in his making.
    Notes: The story of 20YL Lambo, who lived while everyone else died.
    Word count: 12303

Bail by Zessai: Once again Tsuna spends a Saturday afternoon bailing Hibari out of jail.
    Notes: Funny and good, despite the punctuation errors.
    Word count: 4496

Fledged by Lys ap Adin: There comes a point when a person has to say, "Enough." And Tsuna just reached his.
    Notes: Reborn forces another decision onto Tsuna… about his Right Hand Man.
    Word count: 3903

Seven steps away from death by Celendiar: On a sunny Wednesday afternoon, Tsuna gets shot. His Guardians retaliate.
    Notes: Minor errors throughout, but an okay short piece.
    Word count: 3101

The Grandfather Paradox by Nightsmoke: Lambo has lived his life in the wrong order. But sometimes, that's okay.
    Notes: I recommend almost everything by Nightsmoke, but this fic especially.
    Word count: 1935

Love, Duty, and Other Difficult Things by Lys ap Adin: It's time for Bianchi to come into her own, whether she likes it or not.
    Notes: Bianchi/Dino, with more of Lys ap Adin's typical politically based set-up.
    Word count: 89970

Keeping Your Character by Insanity-Red: When a girl from our world takes advantage of a quirk in the reincarnation system, guess whose body she ends up in? See what changes when the stupid cow isn't so stupid - nor a cow. What else will change when she retains knowledge from her previous life?
    Notes: WIP, a KHR fangirl is reborn as fem!Lambo, which is traumatic enough on its own. The author does a bit of world building with the Bovino family before Lambo gets herself into trouble, and then takes off and becomes known as a deadpan snarker/mysterious hitman with no known connections to any mafia family. The writing has slowly improved to a 5/5 in the latest chapters, the characterization is solid, but I'm mostly looking forward to finally making it out of the Daily Life Arc.
    Word count: 82370

DONE.

...unless I find the links to the half-decent Bleach/KHR fic I read recently. Dammit.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013