1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

KenderCleric’s Challenge #26: Who says you need Technology?

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by KenderCleric, Feb 23, 2008.

1. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

KenderCleric’s Challenge #26: Who says you need Technology?

Warning:

Mwuahahaha. That is all.

Summary:

Harry Potter was triumphant; Voldemort was dead and gone and Magical Britain began to rebuild. The populous rigorously supported Minister Shacklebolt’s efforts to build a new, more effective, government rather than simply reform the old and corrupt one. While the Pureblood support may have been mostly superficial, no one was about to go against a Minister with such unprecedented popularity.

After returning to Hogwarts for a semester to catch up on their education the “Triumphant Trio” (a name Rita Skeeter had given them and thus they disliked enormously) had moved on to successful careers. Hermione found a home in the Department of Mysteries as a Spellcrafter and Researcher while both Harry and Ron were begged into the Auror program by Shacklebolt himself. In time they all settled into their lives and time passed.

Hermione Granger stared wide-eyed at what she saw before her. Her voice was lost to her under the weight of sheer awe. Mounted on a platform before her was a large circular construct inscribed with 39 symbols on an inner, free-moving, ring. The magical power radiating off the device danced over her skin as the inner ring spun in place and the large crystalline chevrons lit up. She knew, on an intellectual level, that this should not have been happening; the device should not have been so easy to figure out. Yet, at the moment her success at unraveling an ancient mystery outweighed all other considerations.

A year later Hermione stared in horror as the true consequences of opening the gateway came crashing down on her. The armored wizards and their staves were causing untold damage and death. When one of the assailants grabbed her by the neck and began to drag her back toward the gateway her mind could only focus on one thought: “Please god, let Harry save me!”

“We’ve managed to scry the coordinates the gateway was connected to so we know where they came from. These wizards have killed a dozen Unspeakables, destroyed Ministry Property, and kidnapped one of our top Researchers. You have your orders Potter,” intoned Shaklebolt in his most stern tone.

“Understood Minister,” Harry responded before turning to his hand-picked team of Aurors. “Move out. We have some Dark Wizard arse to kick.”

The Challenge:
    It’s time to turn the Stargate Universe on its head, as well as canon-Potter. This challenge changes the Stargate universe into one where magic created the Gates, the Goa’uld are Dark Wizards, and Harry Potter commands the front-line team of Aurors to explore the galaxy. This fic should not just follow an episodic-retelling of Stargate’s canon. The author should be creative, consider how magical origins would alternate perceptions and events, but most of all be original.

The Rules:
    • No overt pairings. If you want to write some, be subtle and make them undertones just as the SG-1 series does in most cases.
    • Normal DLP pairing rules: No HP/GW, Slash, etc., etc., etc.
    • If you decide to bring Stargate Characters into the fic as wizards/witches that’s fine, however, “SG-1” should be led by Harry and comprised of Potter-verse characters. Personally though, I’d love to see someone make Hammond into a seasoned Auror commander placed in charge.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That could be quite interesting. I'm all for stargate/HP xovers, but I generally prefer it when there are characters from both worlds in it. Would it not work better, if the DoM had a stargate locked away for years, and Hermione figures out how it works, they go out there exploring, and then meet up with SG-1 out there on some random planet...?

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This....this is the most fucking awesome challenge I have ever read. You're a genius. An absolute genius.

I'll be in my bunk.

4. KenderCleric

Ah, sarcasm at its lowest.

5. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Mordecai's idea is far better.

I can't stand Alternate Universe Alternate Universes. "It's the Go'Auld, but now they're Dark Wizards!" Frankly, the idea is as bad as taking Random Romantic Comedy #25615 and substituting Harry for Ben Stiller and Hermione for some-young-bint-that-a-middle-aged-man-would-never-have-if-the-world-made-any-fucking-sense.

6. KenderCleric

I agree 100%. I've said it before, and I'll most likely have to say it again, my plot bunnies are not always good, and often are fairly bad. However, if my crap idea can inspire a decent idea in someone else then some good has come of the idiocy my mind holds.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh? I wasn't being sarcastic. I honestly think this is an amazing challenge. HP/Stargate fics are among my favourites, and this is the best way I've seen of merging the two universes. They're already pretty compatible, but this is genius.

Just because I've criticized some of your challenges is the past, doesn't mean I'll dislike all of them.