1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Keystroke software - legal and private use

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Starwind, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Is there any good software apps for this which won't try and load a virus on my computer?

I need it for private/work use, but I can't seem to find any which don't have the word virus in the first paragraph.

Or is it just some fancy made up thing than I think exists for some reason I can't remember.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

If you're just looking for something that records frequency then check out WhatPulse. If you want to record input then I'm not helping you.

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Perhaps I should have clarified. Yes, this is basically what I need as the computers at work have to be monitered. Usage of them on a bit of paper after each night for the higher ups.

Thanks.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Keystroke loggers are detected as viruses. They don't have them; they are them.

If your management is looking for a summary report on 'what programs are my people using?', you can tell them that there are event log monitor apps that can be bought, but that tend to slow network traffic. If they insist on the invasion of privacy of actually seeing what was typed (and it isn't a government contractor requiring a verified high security clearance) you can advise them that they are opening themselves up to lawsuits and that they really need to find better ways to occupy their time.

The best compromise for this would be an internet gateway logging and filtering program. There are several commercially available, and there's valid legal use for them. Whether an employee is writing fanfiction or letters to his mother doesn't directly affect their business (unless the employee isn't also doing his job). If said employee is using company access to public resources to post corporate secrets is very much their business.

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011