1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lair

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I kept hearing how awesome this game was, and what a hit it was going to be. I mean, Riding a dragon, torching shit, picking up your enemies and dropping them, how could this game, so many epic things going for it, with such an awesome story; fail.

Lets start off with the good.

Visually, Lair is beautiful. The details on the dragon, the places you go, its all top notch, great graphics. Its probably one of the most visually impressive games I've seen for the PS3 Library.

The story is also one of the most impressive I've seen. Like a more rounded Eragon, or maybe Reign of Fire meets Eragon. The short of it is you ride a dragon to defend your home against OTHER people who ride dragons.

Annnnndddd.... there is......

...Nope. Ive got nothing. Thats it. Nothing else worth picking up the game for. And not even that makes the stress of playing it worth playing.

The controls are literally the worst I can remember ever using. There is no way to turn off motion control to use the thumbsticks. And that wouldnt really be a problem in most cases, except they respond poorly. Well... as poorly as using a sack of bricks to crack those eggs you were gonna scramble.

You try doing a 180 turn and instead you charge forward like an idiot. And turn when you WANT to rush forward. Thinking of epic Dogfights on dragons? Nope, you arent. Precision is impossible.

Playing the game is also entirely frustrating. Its like you can set your watch to mission changes and cutscenes. Every 30 seconds you get a cutscene to show you something awesome you'll never be able to pull off, or every 5 seconds your goal changes. Or so it seems, anyway.

Most of the time you're just flying around wondering where the hell you are supposed to be. You only manage anything by luck and luck alone.

This isnt even worthy of the DLP trashbin. 1/5 at best.

2. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Shame really... I had such high hopes.:(

3. cowboyweasel

cowboyweasel Squib

I agree with you here, this game has some of the best backgrounds and scenery that I have seen.

One thing that I think that most people forget is that you are flying a big dumb animal. It won't respond like a jet fighter or even a older prop fighter. One tip that I found out is to hold your controller loosely (kind of like holding reins) that way you can jerk up and back for the 180 turn, and kind of throw it forwards for the speedburst.

I don't know if you took advantage of the training "missions" but after you complete your first mission go back to the Badlands and complete some of the training missions. It helped me some.

I do agree with the cutscenes, much like gears of war, I thought that the flow of the game was interrupted waaay to often. I did like the crack about the cousins in the first of the game though.

I would rate it 4/5.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Reminds me of Battlefield: Vietnam. Got real close to good dogfights; and failed. Maps are to small, field of vision to short, and controls to choppy to do anything fun.