1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop restarting after booting up

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

The Alienware laptop I got recently was working fine until today, where upon playing CK2 the computer froze. Alt-Ctrl-Del only took me to a frozen screen so I turned the laptop off via power button and turned it back on. Laptop proceeded to start loading, went through Alienware loading screen before reaching Windows loading screen. Attempted to load that, before going to a blue screen (not of death, more like the screen when you put in your password), stating that the computer was going to do an error report before restarting the laptop. Doesn't go past 0% before it just restarted, and three hours later I can say that the pattern hasn't changed.

Thoughts?

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Well, my first thought would be don't buy Alienware... Can you start it in safe mode?

3. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

Bad ram.

Using a good computer, download and create a bootable USB stick with memtest 86+ (or whatever is out now) and leave it running for two passes.

If any error codes show up, take out one ram stick and rerun.

4. Hashasheen

Did a diagnostics, came up with the error (2000-0145), an apparent failure to self-test the drive. Looks like I either have to replace the drive or download the driver and get it into the Alienware somehow. Do that sometime today I guess.

Edit: Well, I just checked the Dell site and did some other research as well. Some interesting points:

1. M14x R1 only operates up to Windows 7, but the student I bought it off got it with Windows 8. Meaning that there's no actual Dell approved Alienware driver update for it. I've seen some people online say M14x R2 drivers are compatible, but who knows.
    2. This of course means that I'm probably not going to be able to get a driver update, and instead will have to replace the drive itself.
    3. Being back home in Jordan, there aren't any local Dell shops and customer support means calling overseas between 9 - 5 local time to try and confirm the above problems. Too late today, so I'll have to try tomorrow if possible.
    4. Safe mode for the laptop is apparently F8, with a lot of people saying to pound it as soon as you press the power button. Been out today for a family meal, so I reckon I'll try it tonight after the family goes to bed so they don't wonder what I'm doing to the new laptop (my sister has already given me enough shit for getting a used laptop, don't want her to think she's right).

5. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

1. Doesn't matter. Most drivers on w7 is compatible with w8. Furthermore, only specialized drivers (ie. Fingerprint scanner, infrared radio receiver, specialized Bluetooth receivers have OS specific drivers won't work in a newer OS.

As your laptop has none of these, you'll be fine applying w7 drivers.
    2. See #1
    3. See #2. Don't bother wasting your time.
    4. Yes, f8 is safe mode. However, I'd bet that you'll still crash and reboot with a bad hard drive.

I'd still recommend checking your ram with memtest -- bad hard drive slows the computer down, not force it to reboot like it does. Only in cases where the ram has gone bad it does.

6. Hashasheen

Ran diagnostics again to see the drive for comparison, it's an A08 which is the latest one. The F8 button for instigating safe mode has been unsurprisingly useless (as in it's not even gone to safe mode).

Deplore, I'm looking at the memtest86+ stuff now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted by tomorrow when I get a USB for it (or nick my sister's hard-drive for temporary use).

7. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

Actually, that's curious. I was doing a search on your laptop, and it seems that it's plagued with BIOS issues.

Can you try to see if you can revert back to A07 and see what happens?

A08, apparently, completely disables SATA 6.0 Gbps (in other words, disables SATA 3 and reverts your HDD speed to SATA 2) because of some issues or other.

Are you running an SSD or a regular platter drive?

EDIT:

Here's a link to a A08 BIOS with fixed SATA 3.
    http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/1786-m14x-r1-bios-a08-sata-fix.html

I don't know if the issue is due to your HDD or not, so it'll take some time for you to start the process of elimination.

First, eliminate RAM by testing it with memtest.
    Secondly, if RAM passes, then:
    • You have a spare computer
    Take out the HDD from the alien, put it in the desktop, and run HDtune on it. Run both a speed test and block test.​
    • You don't have a spare computer
    Use your sister computer to download a Window 7 ISO (should be easy to find. if not, PM me) or if you prefer, W8. Wipe your computer and reinstall windows. Then run the HD tune from there.​

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013