1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Legacy of the Force: You Were My Brother - T - Star Wars (NJO)

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Rayndeon, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Title: Legacy of the Force: You Were My Brother
    Author: Dash Nolan
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Suspense
    Fandom: Star Wars (NJO)
    Summary: After Darth Caedus wins the Battle of Kashyyyk, he now must embrace his new role as the galaxy's leader, all the while fending off those he once held dear. [[LOTF AU, Jacen, Jaina, Zekk, more - Action]]

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8599613/1/Legacy-of-the-Force-You-Were-My-Brother

A nice, very fast-paced fic set during Legacy of the Force rating about 60k words. To me it reads like a character study of Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus just as much as a thriller. The prose flows really well, with combat scenes that seem to jump out of the screen. The characters seem well-written, though there are a couple of hiccups IMO. (There's a scene involving Tahiri Veila and Ben Skywalker that struck me as a bit off)

While featuring multiple POVs, Caedus is indeed where the focus and action is at and one gets a sense of his indefatigable will as the stakes quickly mount. As much as I disliked Jacen's characterization in Legacy of the Force - it felt like a derailment of the Jacen that we saw in Traitor and the Unifying Force circa NJO - it's hard not to root for Jacen/Caedus in this fic.

I'm pretty sure - given the ending - the fic is a setup for a sequel, but unfortunately none seems in sight anytime soon, given that the fic completed 3 years ago.

Still, a well written NJO fic that is complete and features - IMO - a contained arc that resolves mostly satisfyingly. 5/5, highly recommended.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Does one need to have read the NJO books to enjoy this? Because I haven't.

3. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this is what a lot of folks are wondering. I myself went 'Haven't read NJO, wouldn't be able to follow'.

4. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Hmm, yes and no. I didn't read all of NJO myself, but certain stories - especially Star by Star, Traitor, and The Unifying Force - are important for placing Jacen and the others in this fic in the proper context. I won't disagree that a familiarity with NJO greatly helps to sell the emotional impact of the fic.

I think the core structure of the fic largely holds up, just as long as you know who's who for the most part: Jacen Solo is the son of Leia Organa Solo and Han Solo, now Darth Caedus; Jaina's his sister; Zekk is Jaina's lover; Anakin Solo is her deceased brother, Tahiri Veila was Anakin's love interest and now Jacen's Sith apprentice; Ben Skywalker is the son of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade Skywalker and Jacen's former Sith apprentice; Tenel Ka D'jo is Jacen's wife and mother of their daughter, Allana as well as Queen of the Hapes Consortium.

As far as basic background info, here's the abbreviated Cliff Notes:

The context of the fic is that it occurs during Legacy of the Force, which has as its backdrop a seccessionist movement within the Galactic Alliance -- a government which formed as an alliance between the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant during NJO. (NJO, if you recall, was all about the invasion of the galaxy by the Yuuzhan Vong, a sort of fanatical pain-worshipping species)

Corellia and other worlds attempt to secede from the GA -- Jacen and others don't take too kindly to this. Jacen himself has grown into an extremely powerful Force user, having personally defeated the leader of the Yuuzhan Vong at the end of that conflict and later having independently studied the Force amongst different organizations for five years. (A big part of Jacen's philosophy of the Force is that he doesn't believe there is a Dark Side or Light Side to the force - the light/dark spectrum is internal to the Force user, not a part of the Force proper.)

He ends up becoming more and more of a utilitarian, willing to commit horrendous crimes for the greater good as he perceives it and ends up becoming a Sith towards this end - Darth Caedus and he covertly takes control of the GA to try to make it a galaxy where his wife and daughter can live without fear of conflict.

The fic begins proper post-Inferno, after Caedus' successful pacification of the Kashyyyk and begins with his sister coming to kill him.

5. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I have trouble reading any type of NJO stuff. It always seems like such this big family drama with everyone turning into a sith at some point.

6. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

The old EU had so many writers that nothing really stayed consistent and falling to the dark side is an easy drama source. I never really minded the ideas behind any of the series but the execution was lacking, there'd be some good books and some bad ones which were enough to taint the whole thing.

That being said Jacen always annoyed me most out the Solo siblings, it was a relief when he died and stopped being so sanctimonious.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I read this having read a lot of the pre-NJO EU books, but only a handful of NJO ones (including Traitor). With that, and what Rayndeon posted above, I had no issues following it (though probably missed a lot of the impact of certain scenes).

It's pretty enjoyable and well written.

The whole thing is about exploring the characters, their thoughts, motivation and interactions through what is essentially a single battle. Each character is interesting and natural, and it's hard to look at anyone in particular as a 'good guy' or 'bad guy'.

Jacen simultaneously feels righteous and warped, you can understand why no one else is willing to accept him the way he is, but at the same time, you can also understand as through that he gets driven more and more angry/violent.

It actually reminded me a lot of blank101's style of writing and characters a lot more than the rest of the fandom, which tend to either feel like video games (probably because of the KOTOR influence) or cheesy redemption/timetravel/romance fics.

The main criticism I'd have is the ending. The last few paragraphs didn't feel like an ending at all, and I subscribed to fic updates until I realized it was marked as complete.

Overall, 4/5. It's written well, enjoyable and feels refreshing, but in the end it feels like a great scene taken out of a larger story. Alone, it doesn't deserve a 5/5 I think.

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention:

It's almost due to moving - and despite the number of posts it only has one review (+op) and one vote.

I'll give it until Sunday before I move it based on the current review and vote.