1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Limit Break TV - A Review Channel

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Joe, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Hey, guys,

So check out my latest venture. First episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us271rlrupI

Me and an old friend from high school, currently the front man for a local band here in Perth - CRASHING PLANETS - have planned a twelve episode season reviewing some old and new games. MARIO KART 8 to get us underway.

Love to hear your thoughts, feedback (especially from YouTube veterans!), get a few subscribers. Recommend some games and challenges, and what have you.

Going to be biweekly, I'd imagine.

Cheers!

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

That... that opening.

Also, you need better lighting.

3. Joe

High Score:
    Heh. Cheers. Written and directed by Calhoun.

Yep, agreed on the lighting. Also lapel microphones.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The opening song takes too long. If I wasn't watching your video to critique it, I would have closed the tab after ten seconds.

I don't like the transition title cards because they are unnecessary. You guys aren't reviewing the game after playing it and segmenting your thoughts into complete capsules, but while you play it with your opinions jumping all over the place.

I hate seeing people as they play the game. I want to see the gameplay, not your faces (unless there's a visual gag).

Keeping your names on screen seems pointless. As soon as I know who is playing which character the names become an eyesore and distract me from the gameplay.

The game sound goes in an out depending on if you guys are talking. I'd keep it at the same level the entire time, if only for consistency.

Don't tell me that Battle Mode sucks, show it to me with more gameplay.

I get that number scores a thing with gaming, but they are stupid and arbitrary. Why is it an 8.5 and not a 9? How about an 8? All that really matters is whether you guys enjoyed the game, and why. A score doesn't convey that at all, everything you guys did before that did.

I like the challenge and penalty thing, but eventually you guys are going to run out of things to force the other to do. How about there's a single embarrassing, disgusting, or painful thing that whoever the loser is has to do? Make it quick and entertaining too – I closed the tab of your friend eating the onion after the first few bites because it got boring.

Joe
  5. Joe

High Score:
    Thanks, Banta. That's some awesome feedback.

Just on the point I've quoted, is that a personal preference, or more of a general feel in the game community? I watched a whole bunch of videos to lay the groundwork here and there didn't seem to be a consensus.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agree with most of these to some extent. The opening's a big one.

In your favor though, your commentary's decently entertaining and your voices are actually pleasant to listen to, which is a huge advantage over most of Youtube in my experience.

Joe
  7. Joe

High Score:
    Cheers, Aviary. I do have the smooth, soulful voice of a poet, this is true.

Yeah we consider this clip our first draft, somewhat. Ready to refine the process as we go along.

8. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Those shorts with that vest, though.

Personally, I liked how you had the gameplay with both of you in the corner. The best of both worlds.

The main thing I gathered from this video, however, was that I need to challenge you in Mario Kart 8.

I also gathered that given a choice in vehicle, you chose the Wiggler.

Joe
  9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Into was ... weak, at best, shameless advertising at worst.

Actual video was ... okay, I suppose. It's not exactly a review if all you can provide is endless praise (unless I missed something, which is very possible considering my attention wavered a lot).

I'm not sure if the bit at the end with the challenge was a nice touch or not. On one hand, it was the highlight of the video. On the other, well, it was the highlight of the video and had nothing to do with the video's purpose, which was to review games.

Edit: Oh, and unless I missed it, some more details on your grading process would be useful.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  10. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

It's a personal thing. That little box is distracting, it draws my eye away from the game footage and blocks some of the screen. The video shows I watch don't include it: Game Grumps, Zero Punctuation, Arumba, etc. The only time I see their face is if it takes up the entire screen, or is used for a visual gag.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Regarding the litte box: As a person who watches streams daily, that was fine. More than fine, actually, it felt correct. That's the right way to do gaming shows, these days.

12. Joe

High Score:
    The shorts are non-negotiable! Don't you dare. ;)

Ha - bring it, Ash. I haven't played a game this fun in years. My Nintendo ID escapes me at the moment, but I'll see you on the mountain.

2 for yay and 2 for nay. Hmm. It seems like a personal preference thing.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter