1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Limited Connection

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Peace, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

I'm receiving a limited connection signal on my laptop, tablet and phone on both wifi and when I plug the cable into the laptop. The phone has connected to a different wifi network without a problem. I'm assuming the problem is my home connection. I've tried the basic fixes - resetting the router, making sure all the cables are plugged in properly etc and that's about the limit of my expertise.

Can anyone help me with this?

If you need more information let me know and maybe provide some instructions on how to find it since I have the computer skills of the average ten year old.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The most likely explanation is probably just an ISP issue. It might be worth seeing if your neighbours are having the same problem, if they share the same ISP. Has the issue been going on for long?

3. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

I'm not sure. This is the first time I've tried to use my home network in three days. My neighbor is currently away but I will check with him tomorrow.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Can you still access the internet when on your home connection?

5. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

No I just get a msg that the page failed to load.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Your internal network is fine, but your external connection is down.

Are you on an a DSL or Cable connection? A DSL modem plugs in the wall with a telephone cable.
    [​IMG]

A Cable modem plugs into the wall with a coax cord.
    [​IMG]

There are four probable areas of fault:

1. Your modem/router. Perhaps it's developed a fault and needs replacing, or just needs a setting changed.
    2. The cable going from the router to the wall has developed a fault. Try a new replacement cable [pictured above].
    3. The internal cabling inside your house has developed a fault. Do you have multiple ports/jacks inside your house? Eg. Take your new phone or coax cable from step 2, take modem, and plug it into other phone/coax ports inside your house. Wait five minutes and then see if your wifi connected devices [eg. your tablet] get internet access.
    4. It's an upstream error and the ISP needs to fix things on their end.

If you have a computer-savvy mate handy, then the first and easiest step is to have them watch your router as it attempts to connect with the ISP and see where in the process it fails. You really need someone on site to help you at this point.

If I were you, I'd jump straight to Faults 2 and 3. Rule them out. The ISP will make you do those anyway, so if you get them out of the way first, then that's less things that they can give you the run-around on.

If checking Faults 2 and 3 doesn't fix things, then call your ISP. It's time for them to help you. Did you get your modem from your ISP? They can provide you with over-the-phone help for exactly that model of router. Your ISP will help you with Faults 1 and 4.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015