1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lockhart - Making shit up or bumbling idiot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmfrank, Jul 10, 2008.

1. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Alright, here's my canonical discussion topic: Gilderoy Lockhart.

Upon first impression, we get the feeling that he makes everything up and just doesn't know shit at all besides Memory Charms. Evidence: Peskipiksi Pesternomi

However, a few more examples state that maybe he learned things like Incantations and wand movements - or at least one of them - but was just too damn lazy to ever practice them enough to get them right.

For instance, he tries to heal Harry's arm on the Quidditch pitch, but the spell doesn't quite work, so he uses a 4th year Vanishing spell instead.

Also, in the Harry/Draco duel, the snake that he tries to get rid of flies upward - just like the one Dumbledore Vanishes in OotP - but doesn't quite poof away like Dumbledore.

So, likely, it's a little bit of both. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of Lockhart.

Kevin

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think you could go either way with canon Lockhart, so there's room for interpretation. Or you could imagine a third option--Lockhart actually is competent, but plays the fool for some as-yet-unspecified reason.

I wrote a fic with the third option. (I won't link to it here, since it's not proper DLP material, but anyone interested can get to it from my ff.net page; it's a one-shot, but the concept has legs and could be expanded into a proper story).

3. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Lockhart actually had to work hard to build his reputation. He went around the world, researching all the stories and local legends, then obliviating whole villages. Then he had to write entertaining stories, changing the original tale so that he was the hero. Being a believable fraud is tough to pull off. Really I'm surprised that he accepted the job as DADA teacher. Yeah, it boosted his book sales, but he took a huge risk of being exposed as incompetant. The DADA Curse must have really killed the teaching standard to make Lockhart think he could get a way with it for even one year.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

How do you figure?

As far as we are aware he had free reign to teach wahtever he wanted.

He ended up choosing to teach about his books.

5. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Because students and parents would surely complain about it. The other professors already had him figured out by the end of the second term (remember the scene in the staff room after Ginny was taken to the Chamber). He was able to get away with the books and the appearances because of the memory charms. How was he going to get around being labeled a horrible DADA teacher? It would kill his career forever. An entire generation of Hogwarts students now saw the real Lockhart - a useless fop.

He must have decided that the ride was over and it was time for one last check to cash. I bet he never thought the DADA curse was real, that he could get through the year and the worse that would happen would be he was fired for being incompetent. Then he could take all his earnings from the text book sales and retire.

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

cannon lockhart wasn't really fooling anyone amongst the staff, especially not till the end of term.

I think Our favorite gryffindor head of house already had him pegged as an idiot early on.

And remember sprout was grumbling to herself not even a week into lessons.

Students and teachers would surely complain about snape but nothing ever gets done about it.

Lockhart if anything was a bit too sure of himself. Thinking he could continue to fool people with his skills.

He probably didn't think to far ahead when he was offered the DA position. He just saw a way to add the title of proffesor to his already growing list, and took it.

I mean if he thought about anything, he probably thought about how fabulous it would look if he was the man too teach the boy-who-lived his first combat spell.

7. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Technically, he and Snape did teach Harry the spell that killed Voldemort. Sad as that may be.

Kevin

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

When you think about it, that is rather depressing.

@Quazi: I dunno...it's debatable how early the staff had him pegged as an idiot. In the beginning, I thought it was more because he was a pretty-boy braggart that turned them off, not necessarily a lack of skill. Remember, Tom Riddle was a pretty boy too, and he wasn't showing nearly half of the talent he had while in school.

As for Lockhart himself, a wizard who performs spells at half-muster is still a weak wizard - regardless of the breadth of spells he knows. At best, he's a poor teacher: just because he couldn't perform high level spells as easily as Dumbledore, doesn't necessarily mean he should have done such a poor job instructing his students. Of course it stands to reason that properly knowing the theory would lead to properly performing the spells, but I'm not gonna open the Magical Strength/Performance can of worms. Again.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

There's also always the question how he was able to get the teaching position in the first place if everyone knew he was incompetent and/or a fraud from the very beginning.

But besides that, I'd be more inclined with your second version, Kevin. I mean, how likely is it that he knew only the Memory Charm, but not a single bit of true magic besides that?

And if you want to continue with that theory, then as a wizard, he's quite incompetent and weak, with the sole exception of his memory charm. But you could never say that he was stupid -- indeed, he could have a brilliant mind. He fooled the entire world, like Jearom said -- the amount of planning and careful work that is needed is substantial, then writing the books ...

Which of course brings up the question why he makes up ridiculous spells -- but maybe he fears that his lies could be exposed, so he pretends to not have the first clue, so that no one believes him capable of that much well-planned deceit?

And, of course, if you want to have a darker side of Lockhart and the real reason as to why he took the post as a teacher at Hogwarts: he has his own office and quarters, a castle full of young girls that adore him or have an outright crush on him, and he's an expert at Memory Charms. Makes for a nice, malicious combo, I'd say.

10. smb

smb Muggle

Hmm. I rather like Perspicacity's suggestion that Lockhart only plays the fool. Perhaps it wouldn't quite in canon, but I'd at least like to see more of that in fanfic.

And Jearom's got a good point, in that Lockhart had to be mentally talented, at the least, to be so believable.

~ Smb

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

That is a rather interesting idea, Lockhart being competent, but for some unknown (hopefully malicious) reason acts the fool.

I do like sesc's idea as well.

I don't think it would be enough to write a novel length story on, but I would definitely read a story like this if it was an extended one shot, or somewhere around 30k-40k words.

12. Resident Weevil

Resident Weevil First Year

The blank patches in Ginny's memory weren't only from Tom Riddle...

13. KafkaExMachina

KafkaExMachina Second Year

Oh, thank you so much for that lovely mental image. I just threw up a little, in my mouth.

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

lols, I've seen this one a few times. Harry and Draco were victims in one of them though. T_T

15. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

I like to think that the Wizarding world is kind of like the Sith as far as competent magic users are concerned.

Only two at any one time.

16. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I always got the impression that Lockhart wasn't Hogwarts alumni, surely if he was the teachers would of at least known that he wasn't an exceptional student? Then again he could have been and the idiotic persona that he exhibits is confusing to the teachers who actually know that he was an above average student.

17. malaga

malaga Auror

I always got the idea that this fact was why the teachers had such a low opinion of him from the beginning. They knew him when he was a dull child, and they know how bad he was at various classes.

18. TurnCoat

TurnCoat First Year

To hell with the teachers why the fuck did Dumbledore hire him. There's no way that he could have fooled Dumbledore.

19. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

As Hagrid said, he was the only applicant, and i'm sure Dumbledore didn't want Umbridge there or even another Ministry working because he couldn't hire a teacher.

20. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

But that was well before the Ministry was super hostile to Dumbledore.