1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking For: Good Detective/Crime/Action/Suspense/Mystery Fiction

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Ched, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hallo DLP,

I'm trying to get some good recommendations about Detective/Crime/Cop/Mystery/Whatever Fiction to read. It's my favorite genre apart from variations on the Fantasy theme, which is probably why I like the Dresden Files so much (it combines the two). Hell, maybe this even includes the "Thriller" or "Suspense" genres, but I tend to think of Thrillers as having more action than anything else (which isn't quite what I'm after, but might still be good).

Character driven stories are a plus, though all the ones I list as liking are not character-driven (Poirot and Holmes being the most notable exceptions).

Fiction in this Genre that I read and liked:

• Sherlock Holmes (all) by Arthur Conan Doyle
    • Hercule Poirot (many) by Agatha Christie
    • The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (more Fantasy than Detective, but putting it here anyway)
    • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
    • Without Remorse by Tom Clancy
    • The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (not detective fiction but it was sort of a Mystery/Suspense in places, and as it's one of my favorites any list is incomplete without it)
    Fiction that I read in this or a related Genre and thought was 'alright':

• Dirk Pitt stories by Clive Cussler (not really in the crime/detective category, but there was generally some version of a mystery to solve and Pitt did work for the Government)
    • One of the James Bond novels by Ian Fleming -- I can't recall which one I tried as it was many years ago, but it didn't overly impress me at the time
    • Most of the stuff John Grisham has written (some better than others, a few like A Time to Kill might move into the "good" category)
    • Other books by Tom Clancy that I have read (half a dozen perhaps)
    • Various books by Patricia Cornwell
    • Alex Cross novels by James Patterson
    Fiction in this Genre that I read and did not like (at the time at least):

• Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre
    • Two Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly (these weren't that bad, but I didn't enjoy them much either)
    • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
    I know that I could Google "Good Crime/Detective/Whatever Fiction" and come up with some lists, but what I really want is good recommendations from people who I know share at least some of my taste in reading material. No doubt some of the famous "classics" of this genre are classics in the same sense that Frankenstein is -- and I loathed having to read that damned book. Alternatively a lot of Patterson's books seem to have an almost cult-like following, but I don't think they're that great.

I'm partial to series as opposed to stand alone books because I like to "get to know a character/protagonist" as we go along (I.e. Harry Dresden). Holmes and Poirot are an exception as we never really get to know them that well; the stories themselves focus on the plot and not the detectives quite as much, but there are a lot of those stories. I prefer male leads to female leads as a general rule.

There's probably a lot of books that I didn't list, but if I tried to get "everything" written down I'd be here all night.

So, any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jonathan Kellerman's The Murder Book is part of a series about a detective named Alex Delaware, might fall more into that middle category for you I guess.

Inserted in EDIT: Isaac Bell books by Cussler are straight up amazing in the first two, book 3 is really good, haven't read the fourth yet.

I love Dirk Pitt novels and the Ryanverse by Clancy, part of Clancy's deal is they're war-game and intrigue, some just feel more like what you want, Grisham is another favorite of mine. So that's why I say the Delaware books might not be your thing, and Murder Book was just the first I read, I've read half a dozen of them now.

This is my favorite genre of novel as well for the last few years, only HP, Kingkiller, and LotR are fantasy I can say I really really like. Also one of my favorite YA authors, Anthony Horrowitz was hired/scored rights to write a new Holmes from the estate, all I know, looks good though.

EDIT: Obviously Bond is a huge thing to me, the two new novels and young Bond kicked ass as did every Flemming except Golden Gun and Octopussy. From Russia with Love and You Only Live Twice (nothing like the movie) are wonderful books, and many of those novels have a lot more suspense than they do action.

3. Ched

Honestly anything that might fall into the "middle category" is something I want to try. It's hard for anyone to make a "perfect" recommendation for someone else, so I gave three categories in an attempt to help people get a general idea of what I'm after.

So I'll give Alex Delaware a go. I'm not familiar with him at all so something new might be just the thing.

I haven't tried anything from Cussler other than the Pitt books, which to me are the equivalent of a fun summer movie flick, so I'm willing to give some others of his a go. Do you suggest trying Ryan or Bell or what next as far as Cussler goes?

I've read two Holmes books by people other than Doyle. I quite enjoyed both of them, though neither really "felt" like Holmes, so I'll be on the lookout for the new one by Horrowitz... *googles* Aha! I knew I recognized that name -- according to Wikipedia he did adaptions of a lot of the Poirot novels for TV, and the TV shows of those were damned good. Now I've got something to look forward to reading--thumbs up for that.

If I get desperate I'll give Bond another go. I am a fan of the movies and it seems like something I'd like reading, so I'm not sure why I had such a "meh" impression from last time. If I do read them again I'll try one of the ones you mention. Question though -- does Bond... grow as a character throughout the books (like Harry Dresden) or does he more or less stay the same and just have different assignments (like Sherlock Holmes).

4. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    double

You want bond character development? Read young Bond, it's not too kiddish, he just has some morals left. Horrowitz also wrote the fun gatekeepers books, young adult horror/fantasy. Bond doesn't develop in the books, but he's deeper, also the books have little continuity.

Ryanverse are Clancy's books, they become truly character based at Executive Orders, which is followed by The Bear and the Dragon, The Teeth of the Tiger, and most recently Dead or Alive. Preceding those only Without Remorse and Patriot Games (one of the very best) are quite that good.

For Grisham certain books are better, The Firm, The Rainmaker, The Summons isn't great but it's a truly fun read. More recently he had one called The Associate which was decent and I'm using my Hannukah money for food, gas, rent, and the book he wrote called The Litigators, which looks great. If you like Grisham, and haven't seen it already, check out the USA original series Suits, it's pretty legit and has a decent following here as well.

5. Ched

Young Bond is also written by Fleming? Or did Horrowitz write some? Sorry got a bit confused there.

Gotcha, for some reason your post made me think not of Jack Ryan but of Cussler's other Main Character (who I couldn't think of at the time) in the Oregon Files (which I haven't read).

I've read Executive Orders, which I remember thinking was damn good. Debt of Honor was not quite as good, but still excellent if I recall. It's been probably 10 years since I gave those a read though. I thought Patriot Games wasn't quite as good as the later ones, and of course Without Remorse is fantastic. Rainbow Six was good but not great. Read a few of his others too, like Clear and Present Danger (meh), Hunt for Red October, and... hell, the names evade me. I have read very few of his latest ones though.

Cool stuff so far -- glad to see some quality responses this quick.

6. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Charlie Higson, he wrote young Bond, was good too.

After Exexcutive Order Bear and the Dragon is next, it rocks.

Never read Oregon, the Bell stories start in 1904, he's a Van Dorn (like a Pinkerton dick).

7. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

You could try reading Andy McDermott's The Hunt for Atlantis and the following stories.(wiki)
    These are action novels with strong references to lost treasures and myths (pretty much Cussler's copycat).

There is also P.N. Elrod's the Vampire Series.
    It's divided into 4 plot-arcs of 3 books each and takes place in Al Capone's Chicago. In the first trilogy our protagonist tries to find his murderer (death "activated" his dormant vampirism so to say). I'd call it average: well written, quite interesting plot however the action is at times a bit sluggish...

8. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Have you tried Nero Wolfe? Rex Stout put together some pretty good mysteries, and they're pretty much in every bookstore I've ever seen. Set in the 1930s-40s, Nero Wolfe is the laziest fat ass genius ever which is why the mysteries and the action are covered by his observant/witty right hand man Archie Goodwin, who was played by Timothy Hutton in a short lived tv series a few years ago.

9. Ched

I haven't tried Nero Wolfe -- I'll give that a go. Any specific tome you'd suggest starting with in that series or just from the first published?

I've heard of PN Elrod, but I can't remember if it was positive or negative. I'll add it to the list at any rate, though I am generally skeptical of anything vampire related. The Hunt for Atlantis appears to have a female protagonist, which might be fun for something new, so I'll try that at some point if I want some new "action" novels.

Thanks on all counts so far!

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Check out the Gentleman Bastards series.

This is more of a fantasy recommendation, but it does have strong elements of
    [genres in thread title] to it.

What I posted about it in the Book Rec thread:

11. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Nero Wolfe is a a rare breed; you can start with any book. Chronologically speaking they were published out of order, so, yeah. Pick a few likely candidates and roll with it.

12. Ched

I have heard a hell of a lot of people talking about the Lies of Locke Lamora, but until now I had no idea what it was about. Thanks and I'll definitely give it a go.

13. Ched

I thought I'd put this here just in case anyone else was following the thread:

Greywalker Series by Richardson

I asked a question similar to this elsewhere and I was told to try these books as they are "just like Harry Dresden in most ways." I'm a bit hesitant, and it's not what I was looking for (it's more fantasy than anything), but there it is.

14. Portus

Portus Heir

I've got just what you're looking for, Cheddar:

The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness, both by Caleb Carr. I really enjoyed both.

Carr apparently even wrote a Sherlock Holmes novel, but I haven't read that one.