1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

LotR and HP/LotR Crossovers

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sechrima, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

So, having just read At Any Price by Teresoul in the WbA section, I got around to wondering if there are any more DLP-standard Lord of the Rings (or otherwise Tolkienesque) fics that someone could recommend. I'd also be up for a Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings crossover, if done well.

Good characterisation, plot, and faithful world-building are all a must.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is the only good length decently written HP/LotR cross I can think of on short notice, although it has been a little while since I've read it. There are a few others out there that merit a look, but are much shorter. Couldn't find them on my alerts list though.

What I really want to see is a good Dresden Files/LotR.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So do I, though you'd run into the obvious pitfall of Harry knowing how the books end, considering how damn often he references Lord of the Rings. A better solution, probably, would be to dump him in the Second Age, where the storyline is a lot less set in stone. Then again, he'd know about Isildur.

4. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    >_>

<_<

Try this, it's only just a couple of chapters and very bare beginning, but... DF/LotR.

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Elda Kundu, Kurutar: A Wizard's Tale was mentioned somewhere, and I can almost swear that I found it on this forum. It was an old thread, I think, so I didn't post any comment there. I think it was some time since any updates.
    Its a rewrite of, I think, "HP and there and back again" (that one reads harder due some overuse of Sindarin and some other smaller failures. And some parts could really have been executed better - there was a reason for rewrite.) - surprisingly both fics have a really different plot (the original was ~250k words, and the rewrite is ~100k, but still hasn't reached the same time as the first 20k words of the first one - comepletely different focus and better questions also, a different passage of time, the Turambar's (not Turin, its from the third age) war with easterlings is absent from the first one entirely and only skipped and here it takes up half of the fic).
    I remember someone (Taure?) stating that it has epic scale and ambitions, but fails epically to deliver a narration epic enough to be good.
    On my personal opinion its somewhat of 4/5, but I'm slightly biased where lotr is concerned. Also a drop of sindarin there and here was a plus in my tower.
    The love interest is shallow at first, but then grows into something sligtly more interesting if only for the choices she and harry must make because of her (so far not so much as make, but to consider).
    The mortality and immortality issues are clever, but could be polished more.
    And the scale is epic. Also Turambar is a good character.

There is Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings
    Kind of mediocre. It's probably a 2.35/5, but for some reason it's the one I really enjoy reading as a simple non-demanding read. I have gone through it two times, and it entertained me as well as some 5/5 pieces do. (a guilty pleasure i feel no guilt for?)
    So - my personal evaluation is 3.5/5, but read with very low expectations.

There is also a fic I read but can’t remember when, where, how, and if it was from here, but maybe someone will remember before i find it - there was harry jumping back and forth between lotr and hp worlds, similar to "three hearts and three lions" - leaving most the possessions behind on each jump, sometimes including clothes. I think he left his Firebolt in Fangorn after one of the jumps.
    There was also a scene were Albus managed to travel with him for one jump and ended up warding Helms Deep.
    A 3.5/5, imo.
    And now I want to read it again...

{edit}
    (insert facepalm and slight disappointment here)
    The Black Wizard
    I think I need sleep.
    {/edit}

Nauro

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

You killed Gandalf! You bastard!

He's still coming back though, right...?

Interesting start man. Don't know what I think of the formal language (as much as it is a part of LotR), but good stuff so far.

Kinda wanna see Dresden fanboy over Galadriel a bit :s...

7. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I can't believe I forgot To Face the Wolf, which technically is not lotr, but HP and Sillmarillion crossover. I havent seen anything on it in this forum, but it's a very good piece.
    It's about Finrod finding himself at hogwarts in harry's third year, and it's all cetered around Remus and Finrod interactions. The whole piece is made of awesome.
    It has some brilliant moments, but the final explanation of how did finrod end up there is slightly weak, imo.
    Even with that said, it is one my favourite reads, and one of the first fics I have ever read.
    5/5.

Nauro

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can second the recommendation of Elda Kundu. Everything else is rubbish. Black Wizard especially.

9. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

I feel obligated to post this. It's one of the finest HP/LotR crossovers that will never be finished.

10. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

There was one called Sanctuary of Arda which was somewhat good if you ignored how Harry had gone to Middle Earth.

It is in the DLP archives.

11. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I think Sanctuary of Arda hasn't aged very well. it's also been a while since I read it, but I remember thinking 'Why did I like this in the first place' the last time I skimmed through it. Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't it the one also crossed over with DBZ?

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tried reading it earlier and skipped half of the two chapters I read. It definitely hasn't aged well.