1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

LOTR map

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I didn’t know if I should post here or art, but I know we have several huge Tolkien fans here.

So for my 2 year belated 30th my wife who is a fantastic calligrapher and artist said she would make me a hand made map of Middle Earth.

I want a large one to frame and hang in the office, and the largest sheet of high quality paper we can get easily is 1.2m wide by 80cm tall, I could maybe hunt for large but that seems ok.

My request to DLP is, I know the actual map in the books has a few small flaws even Christopher Tolkien the original artist admits. Also due to its scale it misses some thing out.

How/what would you suggest changing/adding to a hand done map of this scale.

Also an issue I though is that in some areas we have a huge amount of features, such as the Shire. Others very little. Hollan and most of Eriador.

I would love to include the ruins of some places from Arnor that were left off, and even the original encampment of the Rohirrum up north.

Basically I want a beautiful, factual, detailed map.

Also if anyone has any artistic suggestions that would be greatly appreciated by the wife.

I’ll post pics of the final product in December/January when it’s done.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I have no real suggestions, but think this is a really, really lovely idea.

I know there are YouTube series that cover topics such as the history and geography of middle earth relatively intensively that will often complement their oration with interesting fan-made maps and artwork. It might be that you can find something in there that fills a gap that you'd like.

Hellofutureme does a few Lord of the Rings videos, which is the only channel I remember because I saw them recently, but I'm sure with the amount of love for the fandom a decent channel can't be too hard to find.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Huh I did actually look online for some other maps, and either they are just the standard one, ones form LOTR online which add a lot of non canon things which I want to avoid, or look trash.

If you have any saved could you give us a link or PM me, cheers!