1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Make a (Practical) Spell!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Basil!, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Basil!

Basil! Squib

Hi. Not that anybody asked, but I originally came here looking for spell ideas because I’m an uncreative mess. I’m not really writing anything publishable but I like to create stuff for fun. So I looked at some old threads (Grimoire and this long one) and they all had some really nice ideas, but most (I didn’t say all) of them were violent attack spells or pranks. These are nice- they bring action and life to the world of Harry Potter and it’s fan-made alternatives. But a lot of wizards who maybe weren’t in a war and didn’t survive a dark wizard might not need those spells. They might need spells to wash the dishes, or tidy up a room… both spells that exist, but I digress. These spells are just as important. Wizards and Witches (especially ones raised away from Muggle Society) have a very different society than muggles. So what kinds of spells might someone use outside the battlefield, whether it’s in a career or everyday life? Here’s a few of mine… but they might not be restricted by the ordinary time of the HP series. I choose creativity over logic. Oh, one more thing, there’s no specific template you have to follow, but it should have a name, an incantation, and a description. I’m not going to ask anything I wouldn’t ask of myself, but if you want to include more, go for it! And maybe try to keep it SFW. Ok, here are my ideas (with google translate. Please don’t take the incantations too seriously…)

BRUTE-FORCE CHARM
    Incantation: Exporitium Succedonia (from Experior = Try + Iterium = Again, Donec Succedant = “until we succeed”)
    Effect: When used on a combination lock or any similar mechanism, the mechanism will automatically begin attempting every possible combination until it reaches the correct one. Unconventional due to its length and inferiority to alternatives, but only the most paranoid people would think to protect their belongings from this spell.
    (Is it a charm? I don’t know, the terms always throw me off.)

NATURAL RESTORATION CHARM
    Incantation: Restibuma Fecideus (from restituet cibum = restore food, Fecit made + Deus = god. Supposed to translate to a twisted version of “restore food [to the way] God made it, but Google Translate had other plans)
    Effect: removes pesticides and preservatives from food, freshening it and reverting it to its natural state. This was my friend’s idea. He isn’t here, but I can’t take credit.

You may be curious on why I added that I’m new here and I just came for ideas before signing up. The answer is simple: I haven’t read anything. If you allude to a story, or say “that’s been done to death”, I’m sorry, I didn’t know. Now it’s your turn! Please remember that the most important thing is to have fun. If your idea breaks the laws of physics, or the Harry Potter canon, that doesn’t mean it breaks the rules of your own story.

But, this is a Harry Potter forum, so try to keep it somewhat related, haha.

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Pesticido:

Basically kills anything that would be considered a pest on plants.

Ketchutumis:

Makes what every you are casting at taste like ketchup.

3. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

The flowery language charm, incantation Fac Pulchrior.

Invented by a horny young muggleborn called Will in the 1570s as an aid to pick up girls, the charm combines aspects of the self correcting quill with an adaptation of Amortentia to convert dictated words into the verbiage that the targeted recipient will find most flattering and aesthetically pleasing. Banned in 1653 within Britain by Cromwell, the charm still sees limited use amongst ICW diplomats, negotiators at wizarding law firms and celebrities such as Gilderoy Lockhart to answer his fan mail.

Will himself later adapted the spell to become a successful playwright in the muggle world.

4. Basil!

Basil! Squib

These are all really good! I can’t believe I didn’t think of a pesticide curse when I already had a counter. I imagine the ketchup thing wouldn’t have much use aside from a prank… but it would be a pretty funny prank. Muggle-baiters come to mind if they can cast it subtly on… let’s say applesauce.

I like the flowery language charm, too… I’m curious on its legality. Writing and stuff, sure! But campaign speeches? Those are manipulative anyway, I don’t see a problem… what about lawyers? In a courtroom, could a lawyer twist words to appeal to the audience and get away with it?

My grandpa always says that every coin has two sides, and this is no exception. All the lives it could save with the Suicide Hotline and Hostage Negotiation. It’s technically not lying, it’s just converting your message into something someone else wants to hear. And saying things the right way can, in such situations, be the difference between life and death.

I’m not going to comment without adding my own contributions, or I would have complimented these much earlier. This is going to be a recurring thing- I check these suggestions quite regularly. This is my 5th time on this thread on the 1st day, haha

Again, I digress.

TRIPWIRE CHARM
    Incantation: Custodi Sonoris (corrupted versions of “Protect” and “Sound”. Latin again. I’m going to try exploring other languages, but Latin is easy to put together because of all the vowels).
    Effect: Put it on something, usually an object of storage (purse, bag, pocket) and it will make a loud noise if someone besides the caster attempts to reach within. Invented in the early 1800s by a furious English wizard who had returned home from a vacation to New York City with less currency than he planned to. This was also an issue for the Ministry; as they had to cover up Wizarding Currency in Muggle Circulation.

I also had plans for a spell that would help when you forget what you were doing. Something in me decided against it for some reason, but if you like the idea, you can use it! (No credit required. I’m sure many have had the idea before me, and I’m not too interested in popularity. I’m going off topic again so I’m going to stop.)

edit: late night idea. Putting it here before I forget… which I already did. Give me a moment… knew I should have made that charm :p

oh yeah! I have 2. Just going to list the ideas and general descriptions. I initially said you need to have an incantation but I also said I wouldn’t ask anyone anything I wouldn’t ask myself. You still can, of course. Heck, off topic once more.

This first one’s probably been done already. It’s a thing. Ideas aren’t original. We’ve been making them for how long. A counter to the permanent sticking charm. Kind of destroys the permanent part of it, but some wizard or witch must have devised a counter after messing up, right? This one doesn’t need much explanation. It makes sticky things not sticky, in simple terms. If you want advanced terms… get help. c:

the second one is a reversal of the memory fixing charm, it makes someone forget what they’re doing in the moment, like a travel-sized Obliviate (I forgot the spell name. That’s the incantation. It’s a bit ironic how I forget the forgetting spell…). The only reason I made this is because in the last 15 minutes, I’ve forgotten what I was doing so much times, I am now possibly convinced that JKR is a spy who betrayed wizardkind and is disguising her findings as what wizards and witches may see as inconspicuous fiction. Tl;dr, Wizards might be real and if so I’m being baited by this spell.

One more idea, because I need it. A spell that shortens text. Someone could ask me how my day was and I’d write an essay on Ancient Mesopotamia. I’m going to bed now.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  5. Basil!

Basil! Squib

I’m back! And more importantly, I have more ideas. Sorry for double-posting; I didn’t want the previous reply to get too long. Also the formatting is exhausting on phone so I’m not going to do it anymore.

NAME: Kamikaze Curse
    Incantation: mein Leben für deinen Tod (German; My life for your death. It’s a bit long but I assume due to the nature of this spell, it makes sense.)

Description: highly illegal, but what are you going to do, bury the caster in Azkaban? Haha… that’s not funny. This would be an unforgivable curse, or something to the effect. As the wand is focused with the true intent to perform this horrible action, a purple “reverse shockwave” will close in on the caster. Upon disappearing, the caster will glow, being able to finish the deed by shouting the incantation. There are no wand movements. If the name did not make this obvious, this curse will cause the caster to explode violently, greatly damaging anything or anyone in range.