1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marauder Fan-Made Movie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by halfwaydecent, May 29, 2014.

1. halfwaydecent

halfwaydecent Fourth Year

I'm not sure if you guys have heard about this or not, but apparently some fans started a kickstarted to make a Marauder film (link here), that got funded so now we're going to have a fan-made Marauder film.

While I am not against the concept of a Marauder movie, one that is not in any way affiliated with JK Rowling or Warner Bros. is worrying. Added to that they said they pulled some ideas from fan fiction, which is also worrying because 90% of Marauder era fics are shit. And I dislike their choice of actors for James and Sirius, but given that it's extremely low budget and fan made that's somewhat understandable.

Despite that, I will probably give it a shot just because it is a movie about the Marauders. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ummm violation of Copyright and DMCA policy? They're clearly utilizing JKR's characters, and despite the fact that they're probably not going to make a profit that exceeds production costs, I'm thinking that this is still 100% against the law.

3. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

As long as none of the Marauders are banging each other (or act like modern-day American muggles), I think it's safe to assume this will be better than most Marauder Fics.

When it comes out, I'll give it a shot. It may not be a great movie, but it can't be that bad, especially if the above two criteria are met.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I hate the James choice. It will probably break it for me. Will watch, nonetheless. If I stop at minute 5 is a different matter.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Good choice for Remus, I think. Definitely dislike the James guy though. His tone of voice kinda rubs me the wrong way.

6. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I kind of didn't like the cast. James doesn't make me think of James except for the unruly hair and maybe Sirius was cast too perfectly. He definitely has some of that shiny pureblood thing going. Or maybe it's because he has a chiseled looking jaw.

Severus is a decent looking bloke, more than the others even. This is wrong.

Remus with the curly haired 'fro. xD

There was also one character who reminded me of Neville. He was the first one on the second row. Peter.

Also Lily could have been prettier. She reminds me of a shovel face.

That said, I'll check this out if I can before it gets removed for copyright infringement or something.

I mean, they could go with a youtube release right? And that wouldn't be illegal since there are non-profit fan-made films on youtube that don't get taken down.

Right?

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, it would still be illegal.

If they had made it out of their own pocket, it would be fine, and they could put it up anywhere. It would essentially just be visual Marauder fanfiction if they add a disclaimer.

The problem is, they've collected kickstarter funding to make it, which makes it a paid project. Paid projects can't infringe on intellectual copyright (aka using JKR's named characters).

Edit: Basically the same shit Yudkowsky tried to pull with donation 'incentives' to keep him writing. These guys have just managed to do it under the radar.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  8. thisperson

Those less than thousand backers must have had some deep pockets.

9. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I wouldn't worry about actor's appearance. Make-up artists will take care of that. Main problem is, as I see it, that director of that movie is very young and probably inexperienced. I tried to find him through google and no useful results were found. If this film will be his first one, we can expect low quality film that will be quickly forgotten.

But maybe they (the creators) will incorporate some interesting ideas that would make a film worth watching. I am hoping for portraying of the First war and more background behind it. Marauders never seemed very interesting to me. If it will be focused mainly on the Marauders, I expect it to be "watch and forget" kind of film.

She seems pretty enough to me.

10. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

This looks... Like shit. Sorry but we know next to nothing about this era.
    Holy cow just noticed the donated money and amount of supporters... Wtf?

11. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Damn, the characters are miscast. I also heard them say in the video presentation that Peter Petigrew is the one that holds the group together, wtf?

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Bunch of Harry Potter friends want to be Internet stars so choose rolls they suck the least in.

13. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

The actor for Sirius is cute but lacking "darkness hotness" and the actress for Lily is pretty.

The actor for James would probably work better for Peter (that voice ugh vomit). The rest seem okay or not bad. Snape actor is surprisingly better then he should be esp. in comparison to James.

I guess the film comes under fan fiction so that's why no one has legally chomped on it yet.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I could very much see this to be honest. Think of it this way, James and Sirius both have ego and are massively talented and at least a little popular. Do you think if they disagree with each other they are going to calmly and rationally settle down to discuss it?

Hell no. Enter Pettigrew, who will appease and calm the other two down while seeming innocent and harmless. In a non sinister way he just wants to keep his (powerful and popular) friends together so he isnt alone.

15. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

From the table read, Snape looks like a pretty good actor. Even got the nose down. I don't know about James Potter, since he didn't seem fantastically cast from the video, but I guess we'll just wait and see. Apparently they've got a voice coach, so his accent shouldn't be too much of a problem.

16. thisperson

I don't know how I missed the video at the top of the page. I just scrolled and started reading.

So this is why I said Lily had a shovel face. My only impression of her came from this image.

[​IMG]

Seeing her from different angles in the video I can agree that she is pretty.

I disliked Jame Potter's voice though. It kinda sounds like his balls haven't dropped.

Murky legal standing won't sway me from wanting to watch this.

17. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

From my head-canon wasn't Sirius the closest of the Marauders to James? Just because they are described as attractive, talented and popular doesn't mean a clash of ego's will commence.

The Marauders were like the closest friends could get and as Sirius said in POA - "Then you should have died! As we would have for you!" - that's just how tight and loyal they were to one another again except for Pettigrew.

I doubt friends as close as this would go separate ways from a difference of opinions. Friends clash all the time, but truly great friendships become stronger after these clashes. And to me, that's what the Marauders would be all about.

Your take on it seems really shallow. Probably fanfictions fault I suppose, what with all the times Harry's seemingly bestest and loyal buddies betray him, steal from his vault and get him thrown into Azakaband n' shit.

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just want to see James and Sirius Marauding about and doing epic shit.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  19. thisperson

Kind of a stretch but do you think that thrice defied him thing could have started in their last year of school.

Would be pretty cool if James and Lily had been that talented.

And if we got to see that in action of course. I wonder what a non-deformed Voldemort would look like in middle age. Of course they would have to cast someone handsome.

20. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If they were really that close (and what you said was true) then Peter wouldn't have betrayed them in the first place. As they became adults I actually expect they had more differences, not less. When they were younger just being part of popular in-crowd might have been enough to diffuse differences, but you can see they really started to have different senses of humor (Sirius thought Remus potentially mauling or killing Snape was a joke...) or at least different perceptions of morality.

Multi-person dynamics aren't really my thing, but we know that there was something different about how Peter related to the rest of the group (as opposed to Remus, who was the one they trusted least between Sirius and James).

Beside, being a teenager is all about drama. This way it's more dramatic, and they can have bromance makeup scenes afterwards (both by themselves and with Peter/Remus playing peacemaker).