1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Medieval: Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Xiph0, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I picked this up around a year ago. Medieval: Total War is extremely fun if your into, well, Medieval warfare. The campaign system sucks, to be frank, but the custom and historical battles more then make up for it. The game comes with three historical battles. One downside to these is that you cannot pick which side your on..The custom battle, another feature, lets you choose:

> Which country you fight with, determining your units. [ England - Longbowmen, ext. ]
    > The budget of your Army, and your opponents.
    > Your enemys country.
    > Your name, and theres.
    > Wether you want to be on the offensive or defensive during the battle. [ Attacker/Defender]

After all thats squared away it will take you to the screen where you choose your troops and your opponents troops given the funds at your disposal. This is what makes the game great fun... You can literally load a castle [ Defensive ] full of peasents[ weakest unit ] and just slaughter them. After the troops are picked out and locked you will choose a map. Theres so many to choose from, I haven't got passed the countryside ones yet, after a year. If the map you choose has a fortification the Defendant will automatically be placed inside. Once in combat you will automatically be place in a semi-ariel view, but you can scroll down so that you can literally see the combat like it was 3rd person..Theres a smattering of group formations to choose from included also. Overall this game is good fun, and continues to be fun:

Graphics: 4/10

Gameplay: 8.5/10

Sound: 9/10 [ brilliant, you hear everything from the horses, to the canons, to the archers ]

Story(Campaign): 6/10

Overall: 8/10

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I'd say it's one of the 5 best strategies and definitely inside the best 10 games ever made.

Unlike Xiph0, I enjoyed chess-like campaigns and political manouvering more than RTS battles themselves. But since I generally don't like RTS, I guess that's understandable.

Still, the world map mode was for me much more interesting, especially when you're planning an offensive on a nearby state - send in agents and priests, then assasinate generals, bribe off an army or two, divide them from the inside and THEN conquer by bringing in your own army and stepping over them like worms they are... Ahhh, nothing beats that. I'm telling you, battle mode, while nice for a RTS, is maybe 30% of what this game has to offer.

My marks:

Graphic - 6 - uses sprites for units in the battle mode. World map is OK, but nothing special.

Sound - 7 - can get irritating on the world map. Battle sounds are ok, but still, nothing special. Usualy play my own MP3's in the background, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Gameplay - strategic mode (world map) - 10 - Simply brilliant.

Gameplay - tactical mode (RTS battles) - 9 - Good for RTS, I even played most of the battles myself. Can get a bit overwhelming with 2-3 huge armies facing each other.

Overall - 9 - one of the best, definitely better than Rome: Total War.

3. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I liked this game alot, there is the Viking Invasion expansion which is not great as an expansion but it adds a few extrasto the main game ehich make it better

4. ShadowedDarkness

ShadowedDarkness Second Year

I enjoyed this as well, unfortunately campaign is no longer working for me. It was quite fun to build up armies, engage in espionage and work your way to conquest. The diplomacy model wasn't that great and sea battles were not very clear.

Biggest problem is not being able to play a campaign with other human players. Granted it would be hard to make it work and remain interesting for all involved, but still something I missed.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Same here, and the patch didn't fix it.