1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

'Medieval' Weapons/Armor

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by BioPlague, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague MD DLP Supporter

Using medieval loosely in this thread, if you were a fighter in medieval times, what would be your weapons and armor (shield too, if you want) of choice? For weapons, pick two - ranged and melee.

Sounds World of Warcraftish, I know, yes as you'd probably have little choice as to what you got to use. But some imagination is required. Pictures are optional if they might be obscure.

Only rule? Real weapons. They must have existed.

For ranged, I'd use a crossbow; for melee I'd use a katar. Guess I'm into delivering punches :D. For armor I'd go with chainmail.

[​IMG]
    Picture of the Katar. The katar is unique because to stab an opponent one has to punch instead of thrust, unlike when using a regular knife or dagger. This leads to much more acrobatic fighting styles. It is more like an extension of the fist than a dagger, and it seems more natural to attack and defend with a katar. Sometimes, a katar is also used as a main-gauche in dual blade fencing.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

As suffocating as it'd be, I'd probably go for some padded armor behind a suit of chainmail.

For melee, the Xiphos- 'course

For range, the siphon-powered flamethrower that shot sticky Greek fire.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I would go with either no armor or very light leather so I could keep speed and movement to a maximum. Speed being the one thing I have in my favour in a fight.

For Weapon I like staff flighting because I had a few lessons from a family friend but since that isn't very deadly I would have to go with the short Roman stabbing sword and a dagger.

For ranged it would have to be the long bow I just love the idea of the english Longbow men kicking the Frenches ass back in Agencor (Sp?).

4. Xiph0

O_O Huh? Staffs are brutal.

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yes they can be very painful but when fighting someone else armored and with a sword ar something similar they don't really compare. For unarmored combat they are pretty brutal.

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Light leather for armor, a bit of protection but because im rather short i think speed would be something in my favor. For weapon id go Katana mele, and a smaller bow for range.

7. Xiph0

Just out of curiousity, have you ever actually used a katana?

Just 'cause some of the one's I've tried out have weighed damn near as much as some of my rifles, not the best for speed imho.

8. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Katar- A wonderful little weapon made in India during the middle ages...or was it before that. It was used mostly by king and the army , mostly by whoever went to war. It's used mostly to pirces the armour.

My Choice of weapons would be:
    1)Katar- Gotta love my people.
    2)Katana- "Soul of the warrior"
    3)Piece of cloth-Thuggee...gotta love my people
    4)dagger- comes in handy
    5)chain- never know when it might be handy
    6)Compisite Bow- Genghis Khan

That it.

9. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

I'd have chainmail armour with leather under-armour, a big-ass Celtic broadsword, and the Welsh longbow.

10. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    I'd go with chain mail, Scottish Claymore, and I'd use The Long-Bow for ranged.

11. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Plate-mail armour.

A two-handed axe, with a half-moon blade on each side.

Dagger, just in-case.

Ranged. . . well, Xip, get my catapult!

12. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

yes, i can swing it but your right i am to slow, but i figure w/ enough practice and defensive fighting style id b ok. besides while it isnt the most practical they r really damn cool

13. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I would go with the Leather/Padded armor under a set of Light Chain Mail.

For Meele, I would use a Bastard Sword. A balanced weapon able to be swung fairly fast (if fit). Probably have a Short Sword on me as well.. just incase

as for ranged? Probably a Short Bow.

14. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

I would use chainmail for armor, long bow for range, and the Cinthorc Sword of Justice for melee:

[​IMG]

15. Wasteland

Wasteland Second Year

Double Handed Battle Axe with Heavy armour, to be in the middle of the fight, probably the first to die but thats why I want the heavy armour. Can't really move that quick anyway with a big battle axe anyway :)

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I probably sound like a try-hard but i'd stick with the good 'ol Scythe

[​IMG] <~ Example for the dull ones.

I'd have picked Katars but I didn't want Merrill to think I copied him. :p For armor I'd go leather and for ranged, Probably throwing knives.

17. Xenon

Xenon Professor

Hmmn. I would either have to go with a katar or a Qiang(Chinese spear), possibly even a tachi(predecesor to the katana). As for armor, leather all the way baby! Ranged? I don't do ranged, got terrible aim.

18. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

For armour i'd wear a brigandine over a mail shirt, and a simple helmet.

For ranged a chu-ko-nu (chinese crossbow) and smear poison on the arrows for those heavily armoured troops

For melee, a Lochaber axe and a flanged mace ....and a Kukri.

19. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Armor would be scale maille, a compromise from the manuerverability of chain and the protection of plate. A friend of mine built some from 16 gauge steel scales attached to a net of chain maille links. A 30 pound shirt was not easy to move in but not impossible either. There is the serious downside of course that a knife could slip under the scales or it could be punctured by an arrow easier than plate.

Is a machete qualified for medieval weaponry? I hope so because I can use one of those. Pure chopping power but no ability to block or slice. Simple weapon/tool.

If not, then I would use a scimitar. The movements are not too dissimilar but blocking and slicing can also happen. I would hope to get some real training and practice beforehand though.

For ranged combat I would try for a shortbow. I do not have the upper arm strength for a long bow so I just have to get closer.

I would forgo a shield to leave my right hand open to grab things or people.

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You realise of course a Scottish Claymore (they do only come from Scotland) is no different from a broad sword. If you are thinking of what you saw in the film Braveheart, then that has a different name, that i can't remember. Claymore comes from the gaelic name for the broadsword, the other thing that you saw in Braveheart (which is one of the most historically inaccurate films ever made) has no english name, it merely has the gaelic name that i can't remember.

Well, there is no such thing as light chainmail. Have you ever held any, let alone worn it. I regularly attend medieval re-enactments, and in fact my brother is a re-enactor, and I have tried on a chain mail top, its bloody heavy. And iot was a 'light' one, which wouldn't offer a hell of a lot of protection.

Me personally, for armour I would go a breast plate, thigh guards, metal grieves, simple leather trousers, a large shield (round, diameter of about a meter or so, and yes they did come that large, I saw one used in a re-enactment of the Battle of Largs recently) with a large metal boss, and a Viking Helmet like [​IMG]

For combat, I would go for a one handed battle axe, brute force type weapon, a large bladed one, not a small blade like were more common. I would probably also have a broad sword, fairly standard, though not a particularly heavy one. I would prefer a lighter, faster sword.

For ranged, probably a cross bow, cause they have a long range, and can fire through most types of armour.