1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

MENTOR Voldemort? (non-slash!)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by xvector, Sep 23, 2014.

1. xvector

xvector Second Year

Hi all,

Looking for some Mentor Voldemort stories, preferably darkish in nature. Was reading "A Stranger in an Unholy Land" and I was intrigued by the idea of Voldemort actually mentoring, and in his own way, caring about Harry (not in a romantic way!)

Does anyone know any novel-length (~30k+) or longer fics in which Harry has a Mentor Voldemort? The more AU, the better.

I've seen "Prince of the Dark Kingdom" in the forums and in my searches, but looking for a fic where Harry doesn't have as much animosity back towards Voldemort for whatever reasons.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

4. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

Nah, I really have to say this.

Prince of a Dark Kingdom is probably the best one out there, and I miss the days I spent reading it the first go through. Its fucking wonderful reading a fic that rich and long without waiting for updates. You stay immersed all the way through.

Ice Crux....man I tried to read it but couldn't it was just...I dunno, too unreadable. Ah I remember now, it smacked of Fandom!PermaVillain Voldemort. I have to agree with a certain fanfic author in that extracting Voldemort's motivations and personalities from the times he was at his most desperate/punishing truly monumental fuck-ups is kind of the wrong way to go. Even if to some extent, JK Rowling did something similar. Although TBH, most of the time Voldemort outright flipped his goddamned shit....its fairly easy to sympathize. He mostly deserved what pissed him off but still. The fandom's oddity of Voldemort being a overly torture happy control freak is odd, and to some extent actually conflicts with Canon.

I recommended those stories by Brigade though. Try them out. But really, PoaDK is quite possibly the best of this type, if not one of the best Harry Potter fanfictions ever written. Read it, and stay with it, its over a million words and well worth it.

I however, would like to politely hijack your thread for a related interest:Any fics out there where Voldemort/Tom Riddle ends up actually getting the DADA job by Dumbledore hiring him? And say, keeping it for the next several decades or so, putting his other plans on a long-term backburner/keeping things to targeted assassinations and such?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. xvector

xvector Second Year

Thanks! Of course, I'll continue to read Prince of a Dark Kingdom. But I will finish it, eventually, and this is why I am looking for other fics of a similar nature.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any others?

6. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

The only thing that comes to my mind is "Rectifier" by Niger Aquila. FanFiction.Net A different Tom Riddle, one who is DADA teacher, comes to the canon Universe and encounters Voldemort, Dumbledore etc.

7. gbbz

gbbz Professor

You want a Mentor Voldemort story? This is the ultimate:
    The Manipulator

He just wants you to love him.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That seems... interesting. What happened to Ron and Hermione? How did Voldemort win in the first place? Is any of this elaborated in the fic?

9. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Not really, at least I don't remember the fic mentioning it. I think they died...

EDIT: I haven't read it for ages, last (and only) time was in 2010

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Yeah, I'll skip this shit. Harry has been, for some reason, de-aged and that bothers me to no end. Not to mention the whole treating him like a pet behavior from Voldemort, stroking his hair or kissing him on the forehead. This is obviously gonna end up in slash, no matter what the author claims.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  11. gbbz

gbbz Professor

The whole point is it not being slash, despite the overtones and Harry's struggle as a single sane man in the land of lunatics.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

He doesn't have to put his dick in his ass to make it slash, it's obvious enough. And the whole de-aging thing just gives it an extra pedophile vibe.

13. sirius009

I just finished "Enveloped in Darkness" and it's one of the better ones out there and has some really original ideas, not all of them are great but they are original and the writing's solid.

14. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This thread has grabbed my interest and I am looking for odd Tom Riddle fics as well.

I agree with the OP's sentiments. The more AU the better, indeed.

Sadly I do not know any other than Prince of a Dark Kingdom.

There was this one story I read ages ago which featured Draco being friendly to Harry as Harry was being groomed in Voldemort's camp. I think he refused to join Voldemort and I forgot how it ended. But I read through a few chapters again a short while back and it was horriblelicious.

Now I've been looking for ages and can't find it. Found it. It's called Harry Potter and the Slytherin Connection by KrystalRoze. Somewhere in that entire series is a scene where Draco Malfoy goes to talk to Harry in a tent while he's in Voldemort's custody and they get along fine. I think Harry learns about how Voldemort thinks there.

It was the first story I read that presented Malfoy as something other than a stupid villain.

As a character I think he has a lot of potential. I particularly liked Kwan Li's, Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived.

Thinking back on it that story featured a villainous Voldemort who just wanted to control Harry and it is kind of unreadable. It was a pain to look at it and see what my taste was like when I started reading fanfiction years ago.

Sadly I still like a lot of shit stories.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/426481/KrystalRoze

The most memorable scene from that kind of mentor soul bonded Voldemort with Harry fic. At least it's the most memorable for me. The scene is near the end of the chapter. Although all of it can be considered a conversation.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2021674/8/Harry-Potter-and-the-Trelawney-Prophecy

If you get engaged read all of it. It is unbelievable what happens but it is entertaining.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

16. sirius009

17. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hah, yeah. Time flies, holy shit.

Anyway, that story sucks at the start, so if you can get over it then it'll be fine.

18. xvector

xvector Second Year

Thanks for all the help here! I'll be sure to read through these.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I am suddenly overcome with butthurt that Something Lost, Something Found lies untouched since 2011.

Heh.

20. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, not untouched. Just unpublished/un-updated.