1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft xp disk

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Evran, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Ok, it may be that I'm dumb, but I can find no help online on where to find a disk. I ordered a laptop and its come with Vista and I googled how to downgrade and it shows the steps but not a way to get a disk. And it said that Microsoft won't provide one if its preloaded on a machine or some shit, I may have to wait for my laptop to get here to see if the vista disk comes with it or ifs its just installed and just provides a key, OR, if its just comes with vista with no key or what ever. This isthe first laptop I ordered so I'm not sure.

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Why get a laptop with Vista on it then? You couldn't demand that they put XP on it?

3. Evran

No, I bought it on newegg. I know you can demand it at bestbuy or circuit city, but this was only 450

Also Richard, your sig, is that from a fanfic and if it is which one, sounds like a cool scene.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

5. Evran

I'm not looking for an illegal copy, I'm getting a laptop with vista, and in the EULA it says when you own Vista you can transfer the license to a lower OS like xp/2000/nt. I just cant figure out where to get the damn disk, I'll try your links.

Edit: Looked up my school, has professional for 24 USD.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I recommend getting XP Pro. I've heard rumors that Home has craploads of bugs in it.

Also, my sig is from this story (its a quote from Harry talking to Dumbledore): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4563333/1/

It's the best scene in the whole story, I think.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

You have to call your computer manufacturer and ask them if they'll send you a copy. Is that what you're asking?

8. Evran

Well I figured out where to how to do it now..... sorta legal I guess. But now I'm driver hunting for the first time. The HP site has some drivers I need, but I'm finding it difficult locating the other ones. If I get the driver to make the internet work, doesn't windows update fix it?

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Windows update... fix what, exactly?

10. Evran

@Jolly Rancher
    I read somewhere that they can't help you with this. I'm looking up a bunch of sites and its confusing the shit outta me.

@jolly... again

When you reinstall a OS it formats your HD, so your ethernet adapteron't work and video card stuff like that. Since I want to downgrade I have to find the drivers for XP, and I think I remember before getting a driver for a vid card or something it had a windows update option, not sure, thats what I was asking.

Edit: Ya that somewhere I read it says Dell, Lenovo, offers the disk, but not HP... Guess what vendor my laptop is... Only three guesses, pretty sure you dont need the first two.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Ah. Look up the specs of your mobo manufacturer, they might have it on their site.

12. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

You'll want to download your internet drivers BEFORE you format your PC. Then you can download your other drivers (unless you have a disk for them), but its usually a better idea to download from the site seeing how they always update video card drivers.

Windows Update generally updates Windows issues, although sometimes in certain hardware, it might have it. You're better off downloading the drivers for the hardware, formatting, installing Windows, then installing drivers.

13. Evran

I have all the hp drivers, the video card is confusing me, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M
    I went to the website and I tried puttting the info in. But the only card that came up near mine was NVIDIA GeForce 7150, which I dont think is right.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

last I knew, they had the categories where they had the drivers for each series, like the 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 all in their seperate file. Like the 6,000 category, had all the versions in one file, and the same with the 7's and 8's.

Here's a link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html

I went there and its still the same. That should bring you to the 7,000 series download.

15. Evran

Ya well, I think Newegg reworded the video card so I'm going to wait and install xp and then nvidia.com has the ability to auto detect your hardware, So that should fix it.

16. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

better off going to computer shows and buy the hardware there, if you ask me. Or Fry's or something.

17. Evran

Microsoft says it doesn't matter if the xp disk and I got a key. Then I have to call microsoft. but I have most drivers so it should work with xp than I can work from there to get the rest of the drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  18. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No, it won't. Nvidia.com is no good for laptop nVidia drivers. The only way to get it working is with some hacking. More info on that here.

The official driver for your video card will be on the HP website. Find the support section for your laptop model. All necessary drivers should be on the same page.

19. Evran

Ok, after a few days of searching and reading forums I figured something out. If you buy a machine nowadays, you most likely are stuck with vista, so if you don't like it I guess you have to learn to enjoy it, we're stuck with it until Microsoft come up with a better OS. I'm thinking about switching to Mac.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

... go Ubuntu if you don't want to get XP. Why would you spend $1000+ for a Mac just to switch when you can get Linux for free? o_O