1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

More Out-of-Book Information Revealed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Some of it we had already figured out, some of it is new. Notice the section I bolded as complete bullcrap.

All from JKR's website.

2. Inferi

Inferi Third Year

I call shenanigans

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

She isn't going to be happy until there is no more stuff for us to use our imagination with. If she keeps this bullshit up the vast world we know and use in fanfiction will have its limits because she keeps giving out information.

4. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That's why its called fanfiction. You don't have to use canon if you don't want to. Granted, you need to let the reader know that you're not following all of canon, but you still have the option.

Isn't it wonderful?

5. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

I call bullshit. No fucking way would Harry, after suffering for a decade under Dudley's tyranny, after nearly having his soul sucked out because of Dudley's stupidity, after nearly starving in GOF because Dudley was a obese bastard, forgive that fat fuck.

Likewise, I seriously doubt Harry ever bringing his kids near was amounts to a fat, lazy, narrcistic asshole.

6. Alec

Alec Raptured to Hell

I think he would, no offense but my sisters and brothers have done alot of shit to me,and I mean alot of shit and they totally screwed up there lives and were total assholes of children to my parents..But when they started getting there life together and they apologized I accepted because they were still family..And they were the only brothers and sisters I would ever have..same goes for harry...Harry didn't have half the shit happen to him as I have had happen to me...So it's not totally unbelievable....

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I deduced the second one from Book 7. But the other quotes are ridiculous. What author adds bits after they finish the series??? It is infuriating and just a ploy to keep the 'Pottermania' thriving cause she has nothing better to do with herself now. If your not going to write anymore books, which Im glad about, then let the series finish...

8. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Good point. Maybe I'm just clinging to hope that Harry believes in the 'Do unto others as they do unto you' philosophy.

9. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I found the second and third were ok, and actually well thought out, the rest should have just been left to the readers imagination. I'll join the bandwagon of people who think she should just leave the books be.

10. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I prefered when I didn't know what it was. Now it's kinda lame. Thestral hair seriously? She could have found something more unique.

11. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

This is bullshit. She's squeezing every ounce of the book she can get to continue getting media attention, and book notice.
    Come on she now decided the core of the elder wand is a threstal hair? Bullshit, you're telling me no one has ever though to make a wand with a threstal hair? That the secret to having an awesome wand is an almost invisible horse hair? Total crap.

The second point is fine because she clarifying something that might of been confusing and that was written i,n but the last one I call bullshit as well. She has now stepped from giving plot details to emotional ones as well. Now apparently somewhere in the few years between defeating Voldemort Harry had an emotional breakthrough no prevalent in any of the books, and: married Ginny, knocked her up thrice, named em after people that fucked him over, forgave his abusive relatives because they gave a half ass apology, visits them on holidays, became the best auror ever (mid air freeze high five!), and became a great dad even though he never had one, and the only male role model he ever saw was a fat abusive red-faced Uncle. That's believable. Oh and Dumbledores gay, and a painting with the power to traverse all through a boarding school filled with paintings. God .

12. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I believe she just want to proves that she's the author and can do what she likes with her characters not what people want. And to prove it she says Dumbledore's gay.

Or she wants to please H/D slash fangirls, which in my opinion is more likely.

13. Darkmakr

Darkmakr Seventh Year

Methinks the thestral hair is another one of those, "i've been planning this from the beginning things, why else would i have invisible horses that aren't mentioned in four books and then suddenly become a big part of the story, go back to relative no one cares about them and then oh look the wand is thestral hair."

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I don't like that detail much, but I can see how it could happen for multiple reasons:

1) Most people can't see thestrals, and probably don't even know they exist.
    2) Assuming a wand maker can see thestrals, that's no guarantee that it will be of any use as a core (maybe, like JKR said, people who haven't faced death head-on (and thus, can't see thestrals) can't and/or wouldn't be accepted by the wand. Maybe that's why the previous wielders of the Elder Wand were all killed, even; the new "wielder" hasn't faced death, and by extension can't use it. Upon killing the previous wielder - and by extension facing death - the new wielder is accepted by the wand as its master, and can use it).

People learn from their experiences, and from other people's experiences. For instance, there is the young child learning how to be a good spouse from his parents' interactions. If the relationship is bad, the child will probably realize this to some extent, try and figure out what the reason for the failing relationship, and make sure not to do that when he grows up.

This is pretty much how I see Harry's situation. He had a shitty life with his horrible uncle, knows its a shitty life (especially since he saw how Vernon treated Dudley), and makes sure to avoid emulating his uncle when raising his kids. Since Vernon was such a shitty parent, Harry inevitably ended up doing the exact opposite kinds of things that his uncle did, and by extension, became a pretty good parent.

15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I like the thestral hair. I kind of makes sense. But then we really didnt need to know that.

So could olivander slap elder and thestral hair together and make another powerful wand?

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Presumably in theory, but I think that the Peverell brother that made The Elder Wand was of such skill that it's unlikely that another wandmaker would be able to replicate it.

17. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

She is such a moron its unbelievable, ever since that time she labeled Dumbledore as gay, the whole Harry potter world just lost some of its value to me. Why does she continue with this nonsense?

There is supposed to be a level of suspense and mystery even after the series is done and if she was not smart enough to divulge this info in the 7 books then she should not do it outside of the book. It serves no purpose other than making her look like an idiot who is vying for attention.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    And the funny thing is that we still don't know James' and Lily's professions. No doubt she's saving that one for a rainy day.

19. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

Yeah thats what I love, she sets up this bullshit before the book comes out about how we are going to find out something extremely important about lily and her profession as you pointed out Taure.

If you read the 7th book carefully, you will notice that some of the questions are answered in such a pathetic manner it made me doubt whether it was her or someone else that had written it. Usually she gives pretty good explanations sometimes imaginative and creative but Deathly Hallows was just fucking pathetic.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    After reading this again I've come to the conclusion that Harry's power is in fact, as was previously postulated, luck.

I mean, the sheer improbability of this sequence of events occuring is huge, yet it all comes together to work for Harry. It's also pretty poor writing: the entire story revolves around a series of implausible events, and had any of them occured even slightly differently, Voldemort would have won (as he should have).