1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse/Keyboard odd actions

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Richard, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

For some reason, I'm playing any game, and my mouse an keyboard quit working in the game for a few seconds. I thought it was a Windows Update I installed yesterday, but I uninstalled that, and it's not the problem it seems. It's also apparently doing it even when I'm not playing games as well. The computer does not freeze up when the mouse and keyboard do, just the mouse and keyboard.

It's only been doing this for the past day or so (24hours at the most, maybe earlier than that), and it's already pissing me off. I turned off my anti-virus, thinking it might be doing it, but its not. I also thought it might have been someone using my mouse through my system, but that didn't seem to be the case when I disabled my wireless card and tried to play a game as a test. This occurrence is rather new and something I've never seen happen before. Any ideas?

Edit: Apparently, unplugging and plugging the mouse/keyboard does not make them work again. I had to restart the PC with the button because the mouse/keyboard quit responding for more than 30 seconds.

I also forgot to mention that for the past month and a half or so, my computer's been giving me some damned CPU fan speed warning, but nothing has really shown that anything was wrong. The CPU didn't act slower or sluggish at all. So I turned off the warning because I'd have to hit F1 every time to continue booting.

If you want the rest of my specs on the machine:

QuadCore 6600 (runs at 2.4GHz).
    Ge-Force 8800GTS
    2 gigs of RAM
    It's an ASUS motherboard, but no idea what model of ASUS.

My computer is rather clean of dust, despite the side not being on it. The computer is only about a year old at the most.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

MOVE CLOSER TO THE WIRELESS DONGLE!

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

My dad recently bought a new 150 speed router, I'm getting a full strength signal. My wireless internet is the only wireless item on my machine. I despise wireless mouses/keyboards.

4. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Both the keyboard and mouse are USB I assume? If so I had a similar problem with my old usb keyboard, it would play the da-da sound when something USB was plugged out(even though it wasn't) and stop working for 2-30 seconds. I fixed it by buying a new keyboard.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I read that as, he's plugged in with non-PNP hardware... Cause if he has to restart his computer after he unplugs them... Only used to happen to me on the old ports.
    --

It sounds like some spyware that used to hit my HS, namely, shitty computer systems might've also been their problems, but browsing about woudl make both the keyboard and the mouse seem to disable, or hang up, and stop working....

If it is spyware, or malware, your best bet is to scan and see what comes up. And if'n doubt:

This fella here seems to be using some pretty solid advice.

Joking aside, you can do what Skykes says, and just buy a new keyboard and mouse, but, I think your fix is even more simple than that.

I'm waiting for Yak to pass judgement and give you a tl:dr on what ur doin' wrong.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

my mouse and keyboard are the regular types that plug into the back of the computer. I have a regular PS2 plug type optical mouse, and a trackball that's a USB type, but it hasn't been plugged in lately.

I'm thinking it just might be the stupid CPU fan's problem that maybe has just started giving me the problems. The computer does not freeze when the mouse/keyboard stop working for the short amount of time. The computer stays running normally. For instance, I'm playing Diablo 2 in singleplayer, and the mouse/keyboard stop responding for a little while, the background of the game continues to play around me, then the mouse/keyboard continue to respond as if nothing happened. But on occasion, they will stop responding for more than 30 seconds and then I'll hit the restart button.

Edit: I think it was the mouse. I believe the mouses wire has finally started giving out. The mouse is getting a bit old now. Had it for 2 or 3 years at the most now. I took another optical PS2 mouse and plugged it in. It's not acting funny like the other one did. But I will post here again if it starts acting up.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008