1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Muggles versus Wizards

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Tashio No Daiymo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Tashio No Daiymo

Tashio No Daiymo First Year

So how about it, any fics where an all out war occurs because the muggles discover their (the magical) world?

Bonus points if the three factions (Ministry, Death Eaters, and The Order) are forced to team up for their very survival.

Guerrilla war preferred.

Also, traitorous muggleborns (who sell out magic for science {Hermiojne especially}) are not frowned on.

2. Mr. Ripley

Mr. Ripley Third Year

I've read a few stories like this in the past. I can, honestly, say that there hasn't been a decent one out there. They always have muggles dropping bombs on magical communities that would be impossible for muggles to even locate much less attack with any weapon that requires electricity to work. Most of them are written by people who like to try and rationalize why the muggle world is better and the wizards are so far behind mostly because I think they want to make it seem like the 'real' world is better than the fantasy world even though they spend the majority of their lives reading about said fantasy world.

I'll keep an eye out for one story in particular that I read that fits most of your requirements. It even involved Hermione betraying Harry and causing the wizarding world to suffer a major defeat because of it, but as I said, it is not a story I would ever say is good.

3. Tashio No Daiymo

Hmm, so it's a poorly done something huh? Well, maybe it's a plot line I should think about writing. I'll have to do quite a bit of research though, find a really good beta with knowledge of British geography... such and such.

I'll wait and see if any good ones are posted. If not, then maybe I'll put it out there for DLP to take their shots and see if it will float.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, I know that this has something like it in the beginning, but for the life of me I cannot find the story which I know has that. Ugh.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Tashio No Daiymo

Broken Link.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The link is broken, Iztiak. You have the address two times after one another.

Anyway; Muggle-wizard war ... didn't Heather write a few chapters of that? The Unbearable Lightness of Fleur Delacour?

I never read it, though; so no idea if it's any good.

7. Tashio No Daiymo

It's okay, not great.

It lacks the dark realism and grittiness that I want.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Beat me to it. That's the one I knew I could mention that is praised here.

I like it insofar, as I do with most of Heather's work. Looking forward to more.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. Tashio No Daiymo

So I've read the average "TULoFD".

Any other takers?

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

You know, your attitude is starting to piss me off. And since I'm angry, as FF.net stole my reviews, you get the rant.

You currently appear as an ungrateful, impatient little dick, the type that isn't well liked anywhere. And even if you don't care, here's something that will make you: people are less inclined to help pricks. Regardless of whether or not you liked the story, it won't kill you to say thanks -- since someone (I) just took thirty seconds out of their valuable time to dig up a link for you.

We're not obliged to help you.

You don't need to constantly repeat your request, either. We were very much able read it the first time. If no one else answers, then it's because no one has to say anything relevant -- and in that case, they don't post.

Note that, it's a very good rule.

11. Iztiak

Fixed, I don't know how I managed that. That story only has that in the beginning though. >_>

Anyway, I've been searching, and I finally found a different one-shot that I remembered reading.

And here it is.
    Linksies.

12. Tashio No Daiymo

My apologies. If I had known that you would take offense to it, I would have thanked you for the fic link.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

1. Search on your own.
    2. Wizard v. Muggle stories (with such conflicts at the forefront) will always suck.
    3. Given that 1 won't happen, and 2 will be the result if you do, write your own fic.

14. Tashio No Daiymo

So then, if I were to write this theoretical story should the muggle-wizard war be a sub-plot then?

15. Mr. Ripley

Mr. Ripley Third Year

1. Muggles have no way of blocking any form of wizarding travel except flying.
    2. Muggles have no way of getting around wards.
    3. Electronics don’t work in magical areas, and if the Department of Misuse of Muggle artifacts and Mr. Weasley’s experiments are anything to go by they tend to turn out badly for those people using the muggle devices.
    4. Oblivate, muggle repelling charms, a simple shielding charm, flame freezing charm, dragon’s hide, enchanted clothing (with built in automatic shielding charms), etc. all make actually killing a wizard next to impossible for a muggle if said wizard isn’t a complete moron.
    5. Muggles have no defense against magic used for cursing, hexing, etc.
    6. Muggles have no way to put out certain magically created fires.
    7. Wizards can heal themselves about 200 times faster than muggles can.
    8. There are roughly 1000 wizards that attend Hogwarts a year, and given that wizards can live longer than muggles this seems to indicate that their population may not be as small as one would think, of course, this doesn’t take into consideration the many other intelligent and powerful magical creatures in the world.
    9. If muggles can’t find the place then they can’t bomb it, and given that several major magical areas are a part of major muggle cities they couldn’t bomb it without killing thousands of their own in the process.
    10. Wizards can simply take any information they want from muggles, and they have no way of stopping them from ripping it from their minds.
    11. Even if you did believe that muggleborns would help, the number of half bloods and pure bloods far outweigh the number of muggleborns. Contrary to what fanon likes to say, the evidence in the books would indicate that muggleborns are actually quite rare probably about as rare as a squib.
    12. If all else fails, a simple fidelius charm would make it impossible for muggleborns to even locate the wizards.
    Given the fact that we know next to nothing about the magical world given what little was shown in the book, I don’t see how you could possibly pull off a realistic war especially given the Minister of Magic’s ability to completely redirect the schedule of top government officials with relative ease.
    13. Wizards could just tell the dementors it is open season on muggles who cannot see dementors and have no way of stopping them.

This is why technomagic and wizard v muggle stories fail. I could go on, but from what I put here winning the war would be next to impossible for the muggles, in fact, I could have continued this list making it quite a bit longer, but I'm just making a brief point. If you are going to have this in your story then you are going to have to make a very creative story because I have no idea where you would even start without creating massive plot holes.

16. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

All true points, so perhaps they way to go about it is simply from the perspective of after all the work of 'the light' to stop 'the dark' wiping out muggles, the muggles themselves manage to pull it off by forcing a war they just can't win.

Though, with that you have the problem of just constant imperious the world leaders to cancel war plans, perhaps the solution being the traitorous muggleborns, bitter over being second class citizens are the leaders behind the war.

17. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

While most of your points are perfectly valid, some of them have no basis in canon.
    It's pretty hard to floo into a place that has no fireplace. Also, it's probably hard to apparate into a location you've never seen or been to before, much less even know exists other than intellectually.
    Wards are never mentioned in canon, and in fact, you cannot even find them on the Lexicon. The only things that come close to being a "ward" are the no-apparition-into-or-out-of-Hogwarts enchantment, and the fidelius charm, and possibly protego totalum, cast by Hermione in DH on their campsite - which is nothing more than a big protego on the campsite itself.
    Electronics "go haywire," according to Hermione, and only around Hogwarts, and only due to the high levels of magic. They don't stop working. I.e. an electronic radio might not pick up any signals, or might produce wierd sounds, but it won't simply not work.
    Also Ocham's Razor suggests that the real reason is that no one bothered to retrofit electric outlets in a building that houses wizards and witches who don't need electricity at all. There's no reason to believe that magic produces EMP. If it did, all the buildings around Diagon Alley would never have working electrictronic devices or even lights.
    Also, any non-electronic device would have no trouble whatsoever around even the highest levels of ambient magic.
    Dodging and hiding behind things. Jinxes/Hexes/Curses that don't hit you don't affect you. Area-effect spells like Fiendfyre (your #6) might do the trick, but even then.
    From my reading of the books, the fidelius charm is a non-trivial spell to cast, few people even know of it, and fewer still know how to cast it. Only one person in the whole series ever cast the charm: Dumbledore, both on the Potters' house and on Grimwald Place.

Other than that, I agree with you totally that a "war" between wizards and muggles, would not be so much a war as a slaughter of the muggles.

18. Iztiak

Were the stories I posted similar to what you wanted? I could keep looking, though there's probably not better than those.

19. Mr. Ripley

Mr. Ripley Third Year

I was actually referring to it being hard for them to pin down wizards. They can just pop away or directly behind the person who is trying to kill them. Also, I call wards any spells, charms, or enchantments which repel someone, something, or a group of things which I think is the definition of a ward is it not? I don't mean it to be an actual different branch of magic.

I was actually thinking of Mr. Weasley's tricked out car. It was fine until they activated that flying charm for a prolonged period of time then it really messed up which I figured was due to the electrical components of the car. Then there is Mr. Weasley's department that goes around fixing devices that have gone nuts due to magical tampering granted not all of those are electric, but I figure there has to be a reason why those laws exist since some objects are shared by both the wizard and muggle worlds and others are classified as completely muggle.

I don't think there is a magical bleed from places, but I bet if you took objects that require more electricity than say a watch into the ministry or a magical sector being around that much magic would probably cause them problems. As for dodging, you can dodge, but it is easier said than done especially when a wizard can walk right up to you as long as he has a shielding charm up and fire a spell point blank. Besides, I meant the list to be a sum of all the items on there because not just one thing is flawless. It is more to the point that even wizards that are considered borderline squibs can do at least the most basic of shielding charms. I shudder to think what a man like Dumbledore could do if he decided to enter the battle.

I do have a question though. Was it Dumbledore that cast the fedelius for the Potter family? I don't remember this ever being stated plus if he did cast it wouldn't he know who the secret keeper was?

@Psychotic Cat: There aren't that many muggleborns relative to the rest of the population, and there is no evidence that they are treated as second class citizens by the majority of people. It is just a select group of individuals who like to feel like they are elite, but even they let half-bloods into their group. I mean Lucius obviously knew Snape wasn't a wizarding name yet he seemed to get along very well with Snape.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  20. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

@ Ripley, there's no evidence in canon that Harry and Ginny aren't 'soulmates of love destiny magic', JKR has said that they were always meant to be together... I don't see this community lasting long if no fics were written that weren't canon compliant.

It wouldn't need to be many muggleborns, just a very small number sitting at the top egging the muggles on and acting as a leader that could protect themselves from just being obliviated every time they they thought of ordering an attack.

The muggles wouldn't be able to wipe out wizards, but wizards would not have the manpower to obliviate everyone before the secret would be out again. So you'd have the mighty armies of muggles trying to fight a war against an invisible foe, while the wizards are divided between those trying to find a way to make peace and wannabe dark lords springing up to try and fuck things up.