1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Music whilst Reading Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Murton, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

This has been in my mind for a fair time. I'm a music freak, I play music, I listen to music, I live music, I talk music etc and I also read a fair bit of fanfiction also. So it would be normal for me to have music playing while i'm reading.

I have found that music off The Black Eyed Pes album Elephunk mostly suits the mood you get in whilst reading fanfiction. Its the only music that sticks when i'm reading. It jsut seems right. And I hardly ever listen to the peas, I'm more of a rock/alternate/metal person listening to stuff like the red hot chili peppers, system of a down and tool.

So does anyone else listen to certain music whilst reading fanfiction, or writing fanfiction???

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I don't listen to music... I split my attention between CSPAN, CSPAN-2, and whatever I'm reading at the moment.

3. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    Various songs play while I read.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Whenever I'm at my computer I'm playing music. It doesnt matter what I'm doing short of playing games.

When reading FanFiction I play anything... I just media player roll on its own and listen to what it gives me.

5. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

Whenever I’m online I’m playing music videos from http://music.yahoo.com

I love the site because it allows me to keep up to date on music since I hardly listen to the radio anymore. Not to mention the archive is huge. If you do go there though and make an account it will take awhile for you to make it stop playing songs you hate. I love almost all kinds of music (R&B is the only type I loath) so it doesn’t bother me much when songs I’ve never heard come on, but if you’re the type of person who likes only one specific type of music you are going to spend a long time on that site putting things on your no play list when they come on. (As I wrote this I listened threw a song by Jewl, a song by Poison and now some Spanish song just came on.)

6. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I have used Yahoo a fair bit, but as i'm on dial up it isnt the best.

7. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

its pointless for me to listen to music while reading. i always lose focus of music and focus on reading

8. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

I'll listen to a variety of songs when reading fanfiction, and on the occasion that I'm reading one of those 'doomed romance' stories, I'va always got Across the Stars playing in the background, because is really sets the mood sometimes. (I'm actually listening to it right now.)

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I find that playing rap/hip-hop suits my mood best when reading fanfiction. The best for reading fight scenes would have to be rock, though, or some rap with loud bass and voices.

10. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I've had conversation about this with someone in the IRC room, I can't remember exactly who but it might have been Syao.

I can listen to music while I'm reading fanfiction, though I don't listen to one particular type of music. I'm a fan of rock but I can listen to anything really.

Now, writing is a whole different matter. When I'm writing I like to get in the mindset of the character I'm writing and I find that any noise distracts me from doing that. I like to be in a room that is more or less silent, that way I can't get distracted from what I'm doing (which happens quite a lot, just ask anybody that goes in the IRC room) and nobody can see the funny faces I end up pulling.

11. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

I like to listen to Bone thugs n harmony or reggae when reading fanfiction and during fight scenes i listen to music like mettalica or linkin park.

12. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I trun on my iTunes and click play and read that pretty much it.

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

i listen to Black Eyed Peas just to piss off Syao. but pretty much ill listen to anything that sounds good to me...even Hawthorn Hieghts.. emo bastards that they are..

14. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

I usually listen to classic rock or Mudvayne's "Happy" is great for independent harry

15. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

the only time i've ever listened to linkin park is while reading fanfiction.

ever.

16. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I listen to alot of techno during fight scenes and pretty much anything else during other parts usualy something upbeat.

On a sidenote , I am currently watcjing Dawn of the Dead and at the end when the "screaming version" of "Down with the Sickness" comes on it makes me think of ginny for some reason. Maybe I'm associating my dislike of Ginny with "Screaming Songs" . Although I do like the slow version. Hm. I'm Rambling anyway witch charachter do you think fits witch music best.

17. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Enh. To be honest, I can't really listen to music while I read fanfiction. It's too distracting because I like to hear the dialogue in my head as I read. If I'm elsewhere and it's other noise, that's less of a bother, simply because it's not music I enjoy or interests me then. But if it were my own stuff, my attention would be split with unconsciously mouthing all the lyrics and trying to read.

A lot of times I will put on a sporting event or two and keep it on mute or low volume while I read. Just so I can glance up and see that my Pacers are blowing another fourth quarter lead. And whenever the end of the game comes, I stop reading and watch the final few minutes, if it's close. But music I enjoy commands too much of my attention most of the time. Can barely work with it on, unless I'm in a real bad mood. And then I put on headphones, turn up something like Snapcase's Progression Through Unlearning (best album when I'm angry) as loud as I can and try and damage my ears.

But for enjoying and reading fanfiction, I like silence or barely there background noise.

18. Myst

Myst Headmaster

For fight scenes? I tend to put on "Trapt-Headstrong", Drowning Pool-Bodies and "36 Crazyfists-The Heart and the Shape."

For Independent? Anything by Linkin Park, Especially "Runaway" or Any Taproot Song, like Poem

For Romance? Anything on my Sleep Song List on iTunes, which slower softer stuff.

For writing? Whatever the hell my iPod or iTunes decides to play.

19. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

For DarkHarry I like the slow version of "down with the sickness" by Richard Cheese.

20. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't normally listen to music when i'm reading, but that's only due to the fact that I can't be bothered to go into limewire/media player to turn it on -grin-
    When i do actually find the strength to drag myself away from firefox for a while i listen to RHCP, Foo fighters, Sum 41, Linken Park and Green Day.