1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot My Little Dashie by ROBCakeran53 - K/Everyone/G - My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by redshell, Apr 22, 2012.

1. redshell

redshell Order Member

Title: My Little Dashie
    Author: ROBCakeran53
    Rating: K/Everyone/G
    Genre: Family
    Fandom: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
    Pairings: None
    Summary: N/A
    Link: My Little Dashie

My Little Dashie is the story of Rainbow Dash arriving in the human world, to be found by a fan of the series.

The fan is essentially designed to be an everyman, and because it's told from first-person perspective, the fan is gender-neutral. The emotion of the story is incredibly well done, to the point where I actually cried at the ending.

It tells the story of Dash's arrival as a filly and growth to an adult mare (adult mare as far as the show goes, that is).

I liked it a lot, enough that I felt like you guys should at the very least give it a read.

[Please note that a quick search did not return with any threads about this fic, so I'm putting it up for review under the assumption that it hasn't been, yet.]

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hardly gender neutral. The protagonist is called "dad" and that implicates that they're male (unless bureaucrats have tried to change this word's definition already).

As for the fic, it was average. Heart exploding was very annoying, and so was the ending (not a good one, even if not that bad).

By the way, what the fuck is up with people uploading their fanfics to google docs? There are dozens of hosting services that don't show you who else is looking at the document at the time...

edit: forgot the rating: 3/5

3. redshell

redshell Order Member

On the subject of gender neutral, I probably should have clarified that up until Rainbow calls him "dad" we have no idea what gender he was.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard of this but never read it. Now that I have... well. This story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The actual writing's neither good nor completely abysmal, but my beef is with the premise. It's a self-insert wish fulfillment fic, and it's creepy and weird. I think the author of this is extremely lonely and probably needs to get out more or find help in some way.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I read it a while back, after seeing a lot of posts somewhere going on about how awesome it was, and how "it makes everypony cry". And then I didn't.

It was nice enough, I suppose, but nothing groundbreaking. Everything is overdone - the author sits at night curled up around a lion plushie to make the pain of life go away, and his city is dying, the only colour in his life coming from a tv show.

I'd rec it to anyone who enjoys the show, because near-everyone has read it. But just isn't that good.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Have to agree with the assessment most folks have posted; not bad per se, but not my cup of tea. Might be worth reading just for being one of the more widely referenced fics in the fandom though.

7. redshell

redshell Order Member

Sort of like Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory?

(Both of which I wouldn't recommend to weak-stomached readers.)

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The author is so ronery. ;_;

9. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

I saw/listened to a reading of this on youtube once, over all it's pretty meh. Didn't have the intended effect on me at least. Writing is still okay though, rest of it I could do without.

It's like a comedy fic that isn't funny.

2/5

10. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Never read Cupcakes, but I think I've built up a pretty good picture of it via osmosis, so I suppose I'm not missing much.

As for Rainbow Factory, it's a 'meh' at best. Liked the song, though.

How about Fallout: Equestria? That's pretty much required reading as far as MLP fanfics go, from what I've heard, and have you seen the amount of sidefics? It's like a bloody fandom in itself.

Never really got 'My Little Dashie'. Didn't seem like the greatest piece of literature I'd ever read, even when I was young and naive. Hell, you can practically smell the wish-fulfilment.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012