1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My Name is Harry Potter by Kwan Li - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Title: My Name is Harry Potter
    Author: Kwan Li
    Rating: M
    Genre: Mystery/Drama
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: HP/GW (ish), HP/HG
    Summary: My name is Harry Potter. The year is 2007. I have not spoken to a human being in six years, three months, and twenty three days. Harry is left mysteriously alone one day and races to find out why he is trapped in a world with no other people.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3877185/1/My_Name_is_Harry_Potter

This is an interesting story. The mystery aspect drew me in and left me wanting to read it more, despite my slight distaste at some of the decisions made. It's the kind of story that initially interested me in fanfiction. It isn't the longest or best story, but I think you'll agree its merit despite the rather disagreeable yet slightly ironic ending.

4/5. I couldn't say it was written the best, but the story its self makes up for that.

2. Osprey Trapper

Osprey Trapper Second Year DLP Supporter

I've just read the introductory chapters and was eerily reminded of that movie "I am Legend".

I ended up skimming some of the longer descriptions but overall a great find. Personally I grew a little bored closer to the end, it seems they started out with their best work.

Nearer to the end it was as if Kwan Li was trying to fit too much into only a few chapters. That made it crowded and a bit hard to read.

4/5. I don't think it's 5/5 as it stands.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The first chapter hooked me. That's pretty rare these days. Nice find.

It's pretty good. Some parts later on I found myself skimming through, and a few parts were outright irritating, but lines like the one I'm about to quote just make me smile and keep reading. Well, that plus the reasonably good story.

Classic Rita Skeeter. Perfectly executed. There were a few other lines in the story that were like this, i.e. they seemed to be an exceptional embodiment of the character represented. Ron had one at some point as well. This was balanced by several instances of me being irritated with the characters and/or their reactions, but nothing really terrible. The Traveler was awesome.

I rate the story at 3.5/5. I rounded up to 4/5 for the thread rating because it's something new, but after thinking about it I realize I didn't enjoy it as much as I do most things I rate at that level, so either one works. It's definately at least a 3. The spelling, grammar, etc. are all good. The story is well thought out and feels original. I know some of the ideas are recycled, but it doesn't feel that way. One of the best mysteries I've read in HP fanfic, though granted I've not read many. I actually ended up skimming through quite a bit of it though, and that tends to make me think that the story is longer than it needs to be. Well, either that or it needs to be better fleshed out and therefore longer. One or the other.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  4. Anme

Anme Professor

The first chapter was very nice. The ending of the story was a bit of a disappointment. The rest was somewhere between average and good. A nice read but not great.

3,5/5

5. ancientdragon14

ancientdragon14 Backtraced

Can you be any vaguer?

This story starts out with a letter written to explain that Harry is all alone in the whole world, and that in itself is not a bad device in a literary sense to start out the story but my only problem with the letter thingie is that it is a giant summary of all of Harry's activities. That's boring.

The story may or may not be interesting but the summary style of the letter format is dead and flat and seems very dull.

I'm not reading further so I'm not going to give it a rating.

6. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The next two chapters are boring as shit, as it goes into detail about the things mentioned in the letter, then you get paranoid!harry in the 'real world' and everyone hates Harry. So far it's not that great...

7. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I read this for awhile but after a while it became too tedious and boring for me to read. However, that's just my opinion. I rate 4/5.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

The middle is a little tedious, but I skimmed a bit and it picks up. It's lovely when one is incredibly bored.

9. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

You aren't the only one that's said this, but it mystifies me.

10. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's new. I like it. A little boring through the middle, but worth reading. I'm going to give it a 4/5 just for being original.

It's nice to read something that hasn't been regurgitated again and again. The twist at the end is a classic.

11. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

2/5, I didn't like it much. I didn't get in to the story, it was just bad. D:

12. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I liked it, on the whole. The first 3-4 chapters, where Harry is seemingly trapped in a world with no people, are excellent. The mystery is riveting.

The rest of the story is a letdown. The re-emergence of Voldemort, even though it's explained by this Traveler fellow, still felt like it came out of nowhere. Harry's fate also felt anti-climactic. In the end he was merely a plaything of the gods.

3/5 - an enjoyable but flawed story

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The writing is decent but hardly breathtaking, the idea is original, but then again, completely ruined by a boring explanation. Any fic that requires the use of such a huge deus ex machina as manifestations of 'the powers that be' is a sign to hit the giant red 'x' in the sky. All this combined with characters that are so out of character for inexplicable reasons and a seriously weak attempt at a "witty" and thought provoking ending:

2/5

14. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I must say, the ending annoyed the hell out of me.

15. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I've just finished reading the story, and I'm feeling disappointed. It could have been better.

The first few chapters left me with an anticipation feeling... I thought that something gigantic and awesome was happening, something that Harry couldn't quite grasp it. Turns out it wasn't gigantic and certainly not awesome.

Harry's split personalities were very poorly executed, and it became a cheap plot device later. The mysterious 'Traveller' could have been a good idea if he remained mysterious. Lot of little things bothered me such as the super-photo-album, Umbridge, McGonagall, the obvious Harry/Hermione, Ginny doing wandless magic, etc.

Oh, and the epilogue was actually worse than the one I read in some crappy fanfiction, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I believe it was called...

It was entertaining though and had the merit to be finished. 2/5.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  16. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

QFT.

I'll bump the rating to a 3/5, though.

17. e1

e1 Third Year

Powers that be. Pfft. Pissed me off the first time Sirius mentioned it.

And then 'Fate' happened.

That said, the first few chapters gave a Song of the Trees-ish vibe. Just the right blend of dark humor + fucking creepy. The concept is fairly original, but the author fucked up royally when he tried to tie up the loose ends. Basically, he built it up to a climax, kept his readers second-guessing, and then, introduced an all-in-one-omniscient-solution that totallly disregards his 'there is no easy choice' motif.

I give it a 3/5 (RecBin worthy). A fairly decent fic to kill some time.

18. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I'm uncertain quite how I feel about this one. The premise is interesting, and the first chapter intrigued me enough for me to actually read the whole thing, but the ending was...unsatisfactory, I suppose.

The fic was written well enough, and I'd still recommend it as a decent way to pass some time, but I'd have to give it a 3/5. If it had played out differently in the end, I'd probably give it a bump to a 4.

19. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Actually kinda refreshing having an ending like that... usually doesn't happen. I like the concept and even though this is a different story with just Harry Potter characters in it... I like it. 4/5.

20. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

First chapter truly intrigued me, then it got mindnumbingly boring. Ended up quitting the story at the end of chapter three. If it gets into the library I'll reconsider reading it again.