1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My spells for you all

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by madeyemoody, Feb 27, 2006.

1. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Give me credit if you use them

erigo quod redimio cado- raises the dead to do you bidding, the soul is left behind but the mortal shell remains bound to your will they are your undead slaves

incidere per- slits the throat of your intended victim

duco pallens- influences the weak of mind, does not control them but mearly whispers suggests from within

effrego gutter- to snap the neck of your victim

trucido malum- requiring extreme moral character when cast it will destroy lethifolds and dementors

abyssus rabies- emits a powerful vortex of smoke and fire dissinegrating anything it touches

argentum telum- fires a silver arrow which explodes on impact used to great effect against werewolves ,vampires and inferi(not as effective as true silver)

incendia verbero- whip of fire which binds and burns whatever it wraps around

sol solis telum- emits a single spear of sunlight which can tan a mortal or burn a vampire if applied with power and longevity

incendia unda-liquid fire that spreads and cannot be put out till disspelled by caster. known by ancient civilizations as "Greek Fire"

flamma parietis- wall of flame that is in passible unless the counter charm(obduco per flamma) is applied to the person who seeks passage through

glacies tumbus- freezes victim within a block of ice

levitas textus- creates a web of lightning over a small area striking who ever it passes used to great effect around water

will post more later if you like them

2. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

While they sound good, they're too long. Spells are usually one word or two words and it's a pain to write out a latin sentence all the time. Try and shorten the incantations next time.

3. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Do they suck that bad :? , those incantations are just as long as avada cadavra I figured for 2 words the incantations were worth the length because its better than seeing people makeup shit, Hell look those words up there pretty clever in my most humble opinion ;) its kinda hard to describe a whip of fire with 1 word Im sorry if i sound like a asshole thats not my intention but i thought they would be worth more than printable toilet paper :lol:

thanks for the suggestions
    i'll try again

4. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Well, those are pretty powerful results most of those spells give, I figure the lengthy incantations would be worth it. I liked them, but I tend to avoid spell names, to be honest. I say the effect, and where they learned the spell and what it's called, just not the incantation because they throw me off (for some reason) when I'm writing.

If I need a spell incantation I'll be sure to check here first, though. They sound better than the ones I've made up once-upon-a-time. How do you "make them up"?

5. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Nice list.

6. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Tee hee...oh JK, you funny woman.

You made the killing curse rhyme with 'Abra Cadabra!"

What lovely irony...from parlor tricks to homicide!

7. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

in hebrew Avada kedabra and abra cadabra are spelled the same, set aside ponctuation (in hebrew we have symbols under words to show how you are to prounce to word)

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    isn't arrow spiculum and not telum?

apart from that they sound good, but I have to say, if an author needs to make up a spell, all they need is a half decent latin site like this one http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl

just type the word you want and thats your spell, while these sound good, I think it adds more to a story when an author obviously makes an effort to create unique spells. After all, if lists like this start to pop up everywhere how long will it be before a thread here about cliche spells starts up here?

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

speaky in da engrish so all da normal people can undrstnd.

Or.

Take it to PM's b/c there's no point in posting something 2 or 3 folks could read, sort of like when Link get's yelled at for l33t.

10. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Good list, however I prefer Harry being able to cast spells silently.