1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

My Visit to the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Giovanni, May 17, 2006.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yes, I know DLP does not = blog... However, this is valid.

Today I got the privilege to be part of a group that went down to visit the US Supreme Court and have an hourlong Q & A session with Former Justice O'Connor as well as current Associate Justices Breyer and Kennedy. Our group was made up of 50 High Schoo students ranging from Sophomore to Senior.

The theme was Judicial Independence, and the threats it faces today. Apparently, O'Connor has made it a bit of a crusade of hers after leaving the Court... I'm just speculating about it here -- but I think it had a lot to do with the "Justice Sunday" rallies held by Evangelical Christians last year, as well as legislation aimed at punishing judges in South Dakota (according to her it wont pass, but it's still something to be worried about).

Anyway, they each had their own answer to what the greatest threat to the Judicial Branch was, but despite that; they had one opinion in common, they thought that the greatest threat to Judicial Independence was a mass of uneducated citizens who were manipulated by political elites into undermining the branch.

I was wondering what you all thought of the recent movements against judges in both the state and local levels... For instance a proposed Ammendment to South Dakota's state constitution allowing judges to be sued by the families of the plaintiffs/defendants of the people who appear before them; or Tom Delay's comments last year about how reprisals against judges were acceptable courses of action.

I've been thinking of starting a topic like this for a while... But I figured I would wait until I'd visited the Court before starting it.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The blog bit can be restrained a bit, with our subforums it helps dilute the amount of stuff tossed at one at once.
    It's not a forum to document your life day to day, but I'll be a good bit more kinder towards it provided it's in the correct area

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

I think it's high treason to undermine any single branch of the Federal Government.

Picture a circular, globe-like version of the United States held up by three iron bars connected to a circular one.. If one was to rust away the other, everything would go to hell.

4. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Judges are supposed to be inpartial. So whats the use of taking them to court for officiating a case?? Wouldn't it weaken the Judicial system?

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yeah thats the point the Justices (particularly O'Connor) were trying to make.

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Whos the moron who decided to propose that Ammendment?

Judges=impartial
    They arnt suppose to be sued for officiating a case, otherwise USA will fall without that 3rd leg holding it up.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Not to hijack the thread, but this is exactly what pisses me off about Judge Judy and others like her.

Judy: "Look, your 40 years old, get a job!"
    Me(screaming at my TV): "Just read the fucking law you hag!"

8. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem with judges being impartial is that it is very hard to be impartial in many cases, and in reality probably does not happen.

However, I do not believe that, unless proof of corruption can be found, the ability to sue a particular judge for one of their verdits is a bad idea.

On the other hand, there have been cases in the past when people have been found guilty and have been proven innocent years later and I do think that these people should be given some compenstation (or their families if the person is executed) as they will have lost a large part of their lives due to a bad decision.

Perhaps the ability not to sue an individual judge, but the government that employs them?

9. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Most of the time when something like that happens it is because of the lawyers, whether it is because of the ineptitude of the defense or by the misconduct of the Prosecution, or evidence that has come up that no one knew about. And besides that the type of court cases you are thinking about, like rape and murder, the judge is NOT the person who makes the decision, Jury members do. If someone's life is ruined because of a verdict then they are plenty of people they can sue who are far more culpable then the judge, particularly lawyers and the police department.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yeah, all three of them basically agreed that it was impossible for a judge to be absolutely impartial because after your born you are no longer a Tabula Rasa (blank slate). The key to being impartial according to them was a judges ability to recognize their own predispositions and deal with them appropriately.

The above is of course horribly paraphrased. Consider it the sparknotes of the sparknotes.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ummm, its jsut occured to me, but to sue a judge they would have to go to court, so whats to stop the judge who got sued from suing the judge who officiated his own court case.

12. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

What came first, the egg or the chicken?

No, but seriously, nothing. If you want to sue based on such a stupid, flimsy reason, then you'd better have the dinero to back up your stupidity.

What if you successfully take this judge to court, complaining about the way you were treated during your trial, only to find that the judge presiding over your case does't like you very much or is golf partners with the guy you're suing?

Whoa...i'm confusing myself.

Yarrgh! out.

13. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Well, that just goes to show you how stupid beareucrats (my god, I spelled it right from a guess!) can actually be. If there is no judicial system, then who is going to judge people to be guilty or not guilty. And besides, its really the jury that does the verdict, not the judge. Uh, what is the judge's role anyways?

Edit: Nevermind, my brother explained it to me... heh, I feel like an idiot...

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

ROFL...that was funny. I snorted out sprite.