1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Self-Inserts: The best Thing since sliced Bread? Discuss

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by mortalone, Jan 18, 2015.

1. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

This once was part of the Quality Naruto Fanfics thread.

That's the first compelling case for Vapors that I read, though I do want to comment on one point you made in your defense of SI's: why do we need SI's for a sense of newness? I think authors like Shezza prove otherwise. There is plenty left to explore, just a lack of authors creative enough to do so. There is no reason to even follow the canon storyline at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  2. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

Regarding SIs, I found one where the SI was Orochimarus daughter a while back. She seemed to be an orphan with weird eyes, then Sarutobi took an interest in her and things clicked. Danzo gets her into root for a while, and stuff happens, nothing particulary amazing.

But later she goes on a mission, meets Orochimaru, and it turns out that he pulled her soul out of the afterlive and into that body. That's the reason she reincarnated in the Narutoverse.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Yeah, I stupidly tried to rec that in the middle of the Vapors argument and it got buried. But What Doesn't Kill You is probably my favorite SI fic. I'd say that it actually belongs in this thread.

And just because it came up again, I also rec'ed Clan of Samsara for being interesting because it's a SI. Not as good as the first fic, but some might like its rather unique approach.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

*Gasp*

:facepalm

5. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

It's handled much better in story than that made it seem, but if you don't care for the premise of SI, then I could see why you'd dislike it.

And someone010101, that's kind of an important revelation in the fic, you should probably have spoiler tagged it.

6. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

SI/OCs would be fine if they don't infringe upon the achievements of canon characters. Give me an SI who doesn't mess with canon events or even better not a part of canon events at all and I'll be all for it. Speaking of which I don't know if anyone else has noticed this.But every SI is a female.
    Something to think about.

7. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Every good SI, can this conversation die please

8. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

You've mentioned that. I believe it was Aekiel who last responded, but in any case we've all reiterated our points a few times now.

...not seeing your point.

Shade of the Leaf was decent for what it was, but nothing special.

9. crimson sun06

No point... Just an observation. I've yet to come across a male SI. Do they exist? Just curious.

10. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

...What? Of course they do. Hell, quite a few of the altered character versions of canon protagonists are in actuality simply SIs. Male or female.

11. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

I assume you mean outright tagged SIs where it is a plot point not just the usual awful wish fulfilment writing but in Naruto or in general?

For the former I only really read and enjoyed DoS and the one-shots from the author.

For the latter out of the few dozens(maybe as much as a hundred) SIs stories besides the aforementioned they were all males.

12. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I think the problem is that SI is a well established genre with a fanbase (even if you can count the good ones on your fingers) while writing an OC tends to send off all sorts of alarm bells in people's minds. To be fair to SIs, there's only one good example in all of fiction of a good one that I can think of in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and even there the definition of SI is pushing it.

13. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

That one was fairly interesting IIRC.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't get this discussion. Obviously, there will be good and bad SI stories, just like with every genre. It's not inherently better or worse than others. Sure, some might dislike SI fics, just as others might dislike time travel stories. It's just preference.

Not sure why people try to pass off their preference as some sort of objective measure of quality.

It really depends on the author.

Besides, in the most SI stories that got popular with Dreaming of Sunshine, the SI is basically an OC who has knowledge on the setting. It's not really the author itself. Really just reincarnating one character from one setting into another, only the setting might be our world. I am frankly waiting for crossovers with other fandoms, since that can be interesting as well.

15. crimson sun06

The quality was never the issue here. At least not from my side. I've stated my problem with them, including Vapors (an admittedly decent fic). So unless people start discussing why having SI replacing canon characters is okay, this is just going to go round in circles.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because it's their story, not the canon character's? I don't hold canon to the same standard you do, apparently, because I'm perfectly okay with characters being changed over time to reflect the presence of the OC/SI. I'd find it more of an asspull if canon characters did exactly the same things as in canon despite a highly disruptive presence appearing earlier in their timeline.

17. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

• You know, that there are [spoiler][/spoiler], right?
    • Sounds cool, could you post title and author, please?

18. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

I guess I wasn't clear enough when I posted right after him, but it's:

The writing is Dreaming of Sunshine quality and, to me, it's a more enjoyable fic.

And someone010101 really should have used spoiler tags.

19. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

20. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

That's pretty damn good; probably library worthy