1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

NAT and Routing for Two consoles

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Snarf, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I'm using a router/modem combo provided by my isp at the moment. I realize the major drawbacks to this. Tonight, I successfully bridge my mother's combo over to a decent router and saw an immediate boost to her signal in every way. I'm now thinking about what I can do to fix my own problems. Here's the run down.

My wife and I both play console games together. This can be complete hell because one of our NATs is often strict. I have to unplug both consoles, power cycle the router, plug and start her console first, and then start mine before they both have open translation.

Not sure if this works because my ethernet cable is in the first port (gateway port?) and hers is in the second. No matter what, these translation errors are obnoxious and I want them to stop.

From my understanding, I can't port forward because it would send all of that information to the single console I've ported them to. If I'm wrong about that, please explain why. Can I port forward the same information to two static IPs?

The other issue, no surprise, is radio signal quality. We're in an apartment, so signal issues are bound to happen, but these are just ridiculous. A better router would make an immediate difference, but I don't really know much about quality ones.

Really, my question is two fold. What kind of router should I get, under 100 dollars, that will give me decent signal and let me work through these NAT issues?

Side question: As most routers submit a frequency close to 2.6mhz on different channels, should I get one that can be set up for 5mhz? Would that help signal quality?

2. kaleironfist

kaleironfist Third Year

If I'm reading this right, all you need is Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) enabled and let the Router handle IP allocation (enable DHCP). Both are enabled by default on consumer routers. If both are enabled and it's still not working, it's going to be something else. You shouldn't need to port forward with UPnP enabled.

As for the wireless, download something like Wifi Analyzer for your phone and see what the wireless interference overlaps are like. Change your 2.4GHz channel to something that doesn't overlap (or has least amount of overlap) with the signals around.

Getting a router with 5GHz capability will mean there is less interference due to the greater amount of channels, lower chance of people around you using 5GHz, and lower range which means there is less likely to be any overlaps/interference. The lower range may or may not be an issue as 5GHz cannot penetrate walls as well as 2.4GHz can.

If you're wanting a new router, I'd recommend the Asus RT-N56U. I've got a friend who's on 100/40 fibre using that router and is loving it despite the fact that it isn't top of the line.

3. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

If you don't want to go with UPnP, since that allows any program in your network to open any port it wants, then yes you should be able to forward the same port to different network IPs. In some routers you can do that with one NAT-rule, with others you make two. For a new router I'd generally recommend a Fritz!Box, but they are rather expensive and not in your $100 budget.

I'd say keep your ISP router for ethernet connections, and buy an access point for wifi. Since access points are made for just wifi, you'll probably get a better result with one compared to a router. If you want to get 5 GHz wifi make sure all your devices support it first, and also use that app kaleironfist suggested to take a look at what is interfering with your current wifi setup.

4. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know just enough about this stuff to have checked uPnP and enabled DHCP. The only time we have this issue is when I'm already on my console and my wife hops onto hers. Then one of us gets a strict NAT. I can be in the middle of a game and just her turning on her console causes everything to go to hell.

I'm definitely looking for a new router because this combo is terrible. My speeds stay right around 56mb/s down and 5.4mb/s up at all time when wired in, but even being feet away from the router drops my speeds to about 36 and 4 when running wireless.

Forget about the bedroom. And there's fifteen feet and a single wall between the bedroom and the router.

EDIT: So I would give both my wife's and my console a strict IP, make a NAT rule that would encompass both IPs and the appropriate ports, and that would work?

Ninja Edit: Lol, kb/s

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014