1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need a suggestion

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by KenderCleric, Jul 3, 2007.

1. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Ok, the plot bunny for Potter's Eleven isn't letting me work on any of my other fics at the moment so it's got my attention. I've got what I think is going to be a pretty good outline so far, and now I'm working on some notes for the characters.

One thing I couldn't resist was adding the character of Danny Ocean as an "off-screen" mentor to Harry. Here's the note I've got for him so far...
    It's not much, I admit that. What I'd like some suggestions or ideas on his when/where/how he met Harry. I've got a dozen different ideas that'd be fun to use, but I thought I'd see if anyone had anything interesting. As it's really more of a background/filler info type aspect to the fic it's not earth-shatteringly important to the plot and as such I'm fairly open.

2. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

I haven't watched the Ocean's 11 and 12 in years, but didn't he pull off jobs all over the world? And Vernon runs a firm for drills or something, Grunnings I think, you can work from there.

3. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I'd go with BAM myself but it really doesn't matter. To make this work Harry will definitely need some training. Sleight of hand, pickpocketing, lockpicking, escape, evasion, how to lie convincingly, etc... If I were him I'd go looking for a muggle magician or escape artist so maybe someone referred him to Danny? Yes he can use magic to do most things but what about areas where they're monitoring the magic or he can't be carrying a wand? Sleight of hand and pickpocketing will definitely be useful. The benefit of a muggle, or supposed muggle, teacher is that not only will the methods be totally different from what magic folk will expect but also once word gets around that someone is robbing people blind there's no one in the wizarding world to point a finger at him.

4. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Excellent points. In fact, combined with Lorelei's comment that gives me an interesting idea or two.