1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need help writing a story

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by GreyCrow, Dec 27, 2015.

1. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Muggle

Hello and thanks for reading this post, before anything else I want to clarify 2 things:

1. Englsih is not my native language. So I apologize for any mistakes when I try to explain my ideas and thoughts.

2. Even tought this account is old, most of the time I was quite busy with school and university, so as far as anyone is concerned I'm "new" in this site.

Now, about what I planned to write:

Some important things before that, tought.
    -I like mostly HP Xovers; not in the sense of having one character from one series trust into the other, but rather in the inclusions of concepts of one fandom into the HP world, and basically entering in the AU realm.
    -I also think that the best kind of stories I've ever read are those who had more than one main character. (And by read I'm not refering only about novels or fics, but also mangas/manhuas/manhwas)
    -I also like that the MCs are people above averange in power and skills but certainly far below the "top dogs" in the stories.

The story I'm planning is a triple Xover between Harry Potter x Warhammer 40K x Code Geass.
    Of course the setting will NOT be in the 40K universe, but rather some concepts and ideas will definitely will be. Now, about the Code Geass part, I'm thinking that the world this story is taking place in, is a merge of the HP's world and CG's world.

Reasons for that kind of setting?
    Well, I love settings were the danger is a global event. not focalized in just one country or continent but focused in the whole world and the whole humankind. That's what WH40K give to the story, an enemy that in my opinion is something that one person can't really make the difference against: CHAOS and more especific the Chaos entities known as demons. What's more WH40K also give us an 'organization' willing to fight against them: the SPACE MARINES.
    Now Code Geass is mostly becuase i like the characters. And with the story where an army is needed I think that a character with strategic planning is necesary, not to mention that Lelouch is one of the few who actually conquered the WORLD! and was recognized as the Emperor.

What kind of help I need?

Any help is welcome, but the most important is how I can make the story and the wold building make sense and not leave plotholes.

Here's a intoduction to the story I've written for now:
    It’s the final years of the second millennium and Earth has become in Hell to all the living beings.

Not long ago, this planet was divided between three great political and military superpowers: The Holy Britannian Empire, The European Union and the Chinese Federation, along with some small neutral countries. At that time humans were the ones who ruled the planet through technology and science, and unknown to the majority of the planet, also magic in the secret society of wizards and witches. But no more.

At the finals years of the decade of 1930-1940 a wizard named Gellert Grindelwald, later called Dark Lord Grindelwald, began to terrorize the magical and non-magical European Union with his followers. His reign of terror continued until 1945 when he was confronted by Albus Dumbledore in a duel that decided the fate of the world. Grindelwald, nearly defeated, performed his last card and activated a ritual circle that was previously prepared, with the intention to summon demons to fight for him. The ritual was a success and the demons appeared, but the first things they did was to kill and devour the Dark Lord only to attack everything in their sight. Almost every witch and wizard perished in the carnage that followed, and Albus Dumbledore barely managed to escape with his life. He informed the ICW the events that happened and they quickly informed to the non-magical governments.

The Britannian Empire sent an investigation team, formed by magical and non-magical members of their military, to find and destroy the demons, and they were joined by teams sent by the others superpowers. The mission was a failure, with the death of the 85% of all people who were sent. The governments, then, informed the population about the ‘invaders’ of unknown origins and created a zone of quarantine around the northern half of Germany.

At first, the magical population thought themselves safe and able to deal with the demons. They were wrong. They realized with horror that many of their spells didn’t work of them, and worse, some made them stronger. What’s more the demons themselves preferred to hunt people who had magical abilities rather than those non-magical. Some years later the activity of the demons ceased, but none was fooled and the military remained vigilant at all times around the quarantine.

Between the years of 1960 and 1980, the Dark Lord Voldemort led a rebellion on the British Isles, also called the Ancestral Land by the Britannian Empire, and clashed against the Ministry of Magic and Dumbledore’s Order of Phoenix. When it became clear that the Dark Lord was winning and started attacking the non-magical settlements in a more daring approach, the Britannian Empire sent a military team, magical and non-magical, to fight and destroy the magical terrorist without any chance of surrender, to the displeasure of the Ministry of Magic and Dumbledore’s Forces.

In the night of Samhain, October 31th of 1981, Voldemort whose followers were beginning to lose against the Imperial forces, attempted a great ritual to control the demons who habited in the shadows of the world. He failed and the results were catastrophic, because the end of the World began. A great storm of strange energies hit the whole planet interrupting all methods of communication and transportation, mundane and magical. When the storm passed, the world was in disarray and the people were unprepared for the massive invasion of the demons, who enter the planet by the two holes of reality in the world. One in Germany made by Grindelwald, and one in the British Isles made by Voldemort.

In just three months all great cities were destroyed and many countries ravaged. The Empire of Britannia and all the others superpowers collapsed, and all the people that survived had to join and live in small groups so they wouldn’t catch the demons’ attention. The only way for these small group of people to be safe was the WARDS created and maintained by those with magical powers. This led to the discovery of the existence of the magical community for those who didn’t knew about it and the knowledge that the state of the world was caused by some wizards. Though angered, the non-magical population didn’t persecute the wizards or witches because they knew they were necessary for the existence of the Wards. Even so, the mistrust between the two societies was there.

This didn’t mean that humanity was safe though. A big horde of demons could, in time, destroy even the strongest ward and overrun what it protects. What’s more, humans really didn’t have much chance of communicating between settlements. The only way of communication was a magical spell tied to a mirror, and when the storms stroke the spell stopped working. The transportation suffered too. Every person who used apparition, portkeys or Floo ended dead and in parts. At first everyone thought it was a severe case of splinching, it was not until sometime later they realized that it was not the case. Everyone who used any kind of magical transportation was, in between the change of places, devoured. This meant that the only way to move from a place to another was walking or using vehicles, which couldn’t really overrun the demons if they attacked. Even more, the warped energies left by the storms were toxic to any living being, and if left too much time outside the wards they could die or worse, mutate horribly and degrade.

At the final years of the 80's, humanity and the whole world seemed doomed to be overrun by demons. But none knew that in the north, a star of hope appeared and with it salvation would come.

As I said before any kind of help is welcome, thanks for reading this.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Well, first of all, you should probably understand that crossovers in general are hard to write well. A triple crossover, in my honest opinion, is just doomed from the start. Still, more power to you for the attempt.

The main problem with crossovers is that of balance. All too often, the world of one fandom (Harry Potter) will just completely crush another fandom (literally anything else). Now, this may be circumvented by deliberately creating circumstances so that one power system is weakened for the purposes of the story (such as, say denying Harry his wand, or throwing him into another world with only a few years of Hogwarts education).

Other authors use this Overpoweredness to their advantage, writing a situation where an underdog (that is to say, an MC that belongs to the weaker power system) struggles to survive and/or achieve anything of remote importance.

The next thing you have to tackle is what a crossover brings to the table that a non-crossover could.

A global danger isn't really all that difficult to come up with in the world of Harry Potter. Wizards are stupidly strong, as long as you're one of the powerhouses (Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Voldemort). It's not a stretch to imagine one of them coming up with a potentially world ending recipe - though none of them strike me as nihilists. Of course, the problem with that is that you need a protagonist that can actually keep up (unless you pull a Deus ex Machina ala Elder Wand which won't get you any praise).

Next, the HP world is set in the 90s, whereas Code Geass is set during...actually, I don't even know, but their techlevel is a lot higher than what we have today. So you have to ask yourself, how does this sudden change in the world affect the HP world? Have British wizards conquered the world hand in hand with their muggle counterparts? Do the magicals just laugh at their silly non-magical neighbors and their toys? Or something in between?

If you just wish to include the characters of Code Geass because of the characters, you may be better off not incorporating so many elements of the CG-universe into your story. That just increases the number of interactions between fandoms, interactions which will require answers.

Now, for your story introduction itself, I have to be frank. It's bad.

It's a mishmash of all three universes and not in a good way. I just don't see the worlds meshing together well, like they're all part of one hypothetical universe, but rather as three different universes brought together by the power of duct tape. This is mostly because you don't let the three things interact with each other really, but try to keep them in their own neat little boxes.

And also, nobody likes reading walls of text.

Cheers.

3. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Muggle

First of all: Thanks for your comment!

Now, about the unbalancing parts of the story. I'll give you that normally the wizards in the HP fandom are overpowered in many crossovers given that they have their reality bender powers and skills.The thing is that having the demons from the WH40K universe as enemies will be a counter-balance against them.

The demons and CHAOS in general are extremely attracted to the Psykers - the magical people in WH40K - because not only they could use the Psykers as a gateway to the material realm, but many of the Psykers can be unknowingly possesed. The only kind of Psykers in the 40K universe who are 'safe', are those who had a rigorously mental training - and by that I mean almost torture - to be able to defend themselves from external influences. And if we traslated the mental training in the WH40K as Occlumency in the HP universe, then we know that not many people practice or maybe even know Occlumency.

Next, the Code Geass part. The only parts I'll use really from CG will be only the characters and some concepts adapted to the setting of the story - like the Code for example - beacuse those are the main things that I liked from the show. and one of the concepts I'd like to use in the story would be the political powers: The Britannian Empire, the Euro Unionand the Chinese Federation, just until the beginnings of the 1880's.

This means that the Wizarding world will be in the shadows of these powers, existing as part of these powers. And really the Britannian Empire in CG was a totallitarian, darwinism and warmongering place, where those in high power would see the magical people in their Empire as a precious Military resource, and an example that their thoughts about the strongers rule is correct.

Lastly about that little introduction, it was more like a context so one would know how the world became as it is in the story. The true story will begin around the year 1994. If it realy that bad, I could omit it, and leave clues in the story about how that world came to be.

Thanks againg for your comments.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A triple cross-over is a terrible idea. It's hard enough to balance two, or even implement one system with a more cameo role for the other. Three, in a language you aren't fully fluent in? And you want multiple main characters, presumably from each of your cross-over universes?

Not. A. Chance.

Write something else first. Try a 10k, single-verse story and let us help you out on that. Get some words under your belt to get a feel for characters, voice, exposition, scene shifts, etc. etc. In the background, keep working on your plot for your big work, but I'd still cut out at least one of the verses.

If you've never written in English before, your jokes and pacing are going to be flat and your dialogue is likely going to be absolute shit. Walk before you run. It's possible - several of our absolute best members don't speak English as a first language, which can be really humbling.