1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Dubrichius, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

I've been thinking about whether or not I should begin collecting the Neon Genesis DVDs. I haven't really seen the series, but I've heared some good things about it; and I was wondering what everyone's opinion about the anime is. So if someone knows anything about the show, please let me know.

2. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    The show is just plain werid. You get your mecha action, but as the series goes one, its decends into pure weridness. The end will leave you going, "what..the..hell?!?!?!

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I used to be obsessed with NGE, but I'm not so much so anymore. The hero is a whiny pussy to make Canon Harry seem like Mr. T by comparison. The show has way too much angst in general. Still, it does have some memorable characters and a good storyline, even though it does kinda descent into chaos near the end.

4. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

It's been so long since I watched this anime that I can't remember the wierd, freakish, japanese storyline at all. All I remember is that Gendo is cool.

[​IMG]

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

No way, Gendo was an absolute bastard and a deadbeat father. The man was largely responsible for his son's problems and basically drove the kid into insanity with his manipulations. I'm not a huge Shinji fan but I did feel for the boy at points. Gendo's the kind of person I'd like to drag outside and beat with a steel pipe or something. At least with Manipulative Dumbledore, the old man is acting for what he sees as the greater good. Gendo on the other hand just wanted his fucking wife back, and was thereby nothing but a self-centered asshole.

6. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I find that NGE is a great series, but that is probably because it was my first Anime, now that I think of it. I have only recently finished it, because I got throught the first half of it, and stopped, then got back into it, and I find that the first half is more action based, and the second half is more psycological based, as the second half really shows that the kids are fucked up to the greatest extreme. I think that one of the coolest parts of the anime was when Unit 01 went beserk in that shadow thingy and split it in half, and another great scene is when Unit 01 goes mega beserk and rips the armor off and devourers the angel, and gets the S2 engine thingy.

7. Seiyaxusagi

Seiyaxusagi Squib

Rei in my opinion made the series. Asuka, I was hoping Shinji actually killed her.

8. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

9. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

End Of Evangelion.

Even if you never get the series, the end movie, EoE, is a must have. For those who don't know, EoE was the creators response to his fans of "You want an ending? Well, here's your damn ending. Enjoy you bastards!"

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Evangelion is something you either love the first time you see it or dislike it.

I myself love it.

It's a dozen steps above most of todays anime, which basically is explosions and fights strung together by a shitty plot. I can't wait until, the Rebuild is done, it'll be epic win.

PURE epic win.

Kaworu used to be my favorite male character. -shamed.- Now it' probably Kaji. AS for Female character. <_< It's a toss up between Misato and Yui.

P.S; Asuka was a complete bitch, fucked in the head due to no fault of her own, but a fucking mental bitch all the same.

P.S.S; Reminds me of Hannah. -_-

P.S.S.S; Get the Perfect collection or wait until Rebuild is released.

11. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

NGE rocks, simple as that. Yes Shinji is a pansy but the show has something not enough anime has. Anime that makes you think.

It is a great anime, and if it wasn't so late at night I would add more detail to my post.

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Give me the manga over the anime any day of the week, that and RahXephon.

Oh, and before I forget; NEVER buy something when you can download it for free unless it is something that you have a borderline obsession over.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  13. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

NGE was interesting and had a lot of really fascinating ideas but despite that I didn't like it in the end. Found it hard to connect with pretty much any of the characters since pretty much all of them are insane in one way or another. The ending is also very much a WTF moment which doesn't help.

I would also second RahXephon, still somewhat screwy but the characters are a little more sane. Personally I would say to watch NGE but don't necessarily buy it until you know you'll like it as it tends to garner a very love/hate reaction from the audience.

14. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Meanwhile the first is out for 20 days now. So is there any Japanese member who has already seen the film?

As I understand the announcements the four films are a 'redo' of the serie with the first covering the timeframe before Asuka joins Nerv.

Is it merely a compilation of tv-episodes with few new material or is it completely new?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  15. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Decent show, but its painfully over rated, and all the characters are Emo.

Though really, most Anime isn't exactly high art. Just look at how much people love Drag-on Ball Z and the oft recycled set of basic character designs and half baked plots I like to call "Inu-Yatsura 1/2"...

16. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

[​IMG]

And now, you'll never be able to take him seriously again. :)

17. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

In all fairness, these guys aren't really emo, as they aren't slitting their wrists because they were told their quest for individuality was a fools dream when they all dress and act the same. The eva cast has complete and true mental fuck-ups up the wazoo, to the point where you can almost feel sorry for Asuka.

Almost. I still hate the bitch.

That aside, not looking forward to these remakes. Remakes of any kind have, generally, ended in failure. As a fan of the original series, this has left me with a feeling of dread that just won't go away until I see that they haven't completely raped it, broke it's limbs and left it in a dark alley to fend for itself.

18. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

One thing that I enjoyed from eva was purely because it broke from the mold. Instead of the cookie cutter; introduction, tribulation, betterment, crisis, crisis averted and ending it just went for; introduction, tribulation, betterment, crisis, worse crisis, even worse crisis, the world ends.
    Just when you think Shinji's starting to get the hang of things everything gets fucked up. Now as originality goes this is superb but as a story being told, most of us enjoy the main character overcoming his weaknesses and conquering the enemies. Or even die heroically, usually as long as he doesn't regress into an even whinier pussified self.

Which.. takes me to why a certain doujinshi I read rocks everything. Re-take from Studio Kimigabuchi is 662 pages of what the ending should have been. Excellent art, the plot is superb. It's not some doujinshi an obsessive fan drew in his basement, or hell maybe the guys at Kimigabuchi are like that.

Well the basic premise is that Shinji after the ending at the beach wakes up sometime around the middle of the series not knowing what's real or not. And at the same time the personality of the Asuka that he was with at the beach decided to follow him as an incorporeal entity.

5/5 for plot originality
    4.5/5 excellent drawing, almost on par with the original
    5/5 for having the translated version :p
    3/5 for not being public friendly with gratuitous nudity the first 2/6 volumes
    5/5 for giving me a good honest to god ending

This image should fit perfectly with the morbidity of this site.
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2859/retake092093dj5.jpg

19. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

...Link? Or at least the proper name please?

20. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'd say blame Anno for the ending and the movies, but considering he was lashing out at stupid fanboys for being asshats I give him full support in being a general deutsch to any Eva fanboy.

Also, has anyone read the more recent volumes of the manga? If so, how is it compared to the anime?