1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Sep 21, 2018.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because this needs its own thread.

Netflix and Nick are collaborating to make a live action Avatar done right.

They seem to be making good choices so far.

- Konietzko and DiMartino are back to run the show, meaning little to no whitewashing.
    - Zuckerman is back to do the music.
    - Shyamalan is not involved in any way.

Sad that Ehasz and Volpe don't seem to be coming back to write, as they're off doing Dragon Prince, but my hype is still high.

2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Cautiously neutral about this. At this point Netflix seems 50/50 on hits and misses, but when it hits, it hits very well. But they're incredibly inconsistent and lately they've trying to throw as many things on the wall as possible to see what sticks.

Konietzko and DiMartino work on Korra was a profound 'meh' with a good start. Ehasz and Volpe coming back would've been great, but alas.

3. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

I'm really not sure what the point of this is. When watching Avatar, I never thought to myself: "You know this is good, but it would be better if it was live action." I don't think anyone, ever thought that.

If they announced a new cartoon series, I'd be "Hell, yes!". Even a live action series telling a new story in the Avatar world would make sense. It wouldn't be my top choice but, eh, its a medium they could use to tell their stories - just as they have done with animation, comics and so on before. But a live action remake? Why? What is the point? I just don't see it.

It would be better (if still not very good) if it was not a live action remake, but a live action sequel. It could star Aang and is branded "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (so you can hook into the name recognition) but it would be telling the next chapter in Aang's story. It could be set after the end of the cartoon (so not just a retelling) and this would give them a chance to age up all the characters. Still not my first choose but better than a live action remake.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Glimmervoid's thoughts on this are exactly my own. A big "Why!?!?!" is my reaction to a retelling of ATLA in live action. Honestly not seeing the purpose or appeal. At best they will create something that is still not as good and with shittier bending and at worst it will bit a complete CGI disaster.

Honestly not seeing the advantages that live action is going to bring to such a fantasy series. The fantasy elements, the set pieces, the bending, the animals, the costumes, all of these are most likely going to be worse? Hell, it would be lucky if it is only slightly worse and not immensely.

A sequel or prequel I could get. Like have it play during the times of Avatar Kyoshi or whatever, during a time where all elements were in play, let us experience the world like that before fire nation dominance. Or even the period during which Aang is having a family and establishing Republic City or whatever (even if I like this idea less). Just not sure what a retelling is going to accomplish. It's not going to be a what if, right? And it's not like the cartoon had many filler episodes they could leave out in order to focus on story or exploring new things. About the only truly unnecessary episode was that one where two earth clans had to cross that gulf, pretty sure nothing would be lost if they left that episode out but everything else had significance.

So yeah, not really looking forward to it. Just going to look like a worse ATLA tbh but I am happy to eat my words on this.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With most of these things, I'd argue if you watched ATLA and were satisfied, and this is the same story in live action form - this isn't for you.

If I were the ATLA creator, my goal would be to tell my story to more people, namely people who feel they're above cartoons.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Korra was terrible enough for me to say that I don't want any further Avatar series. Also Netflix practically guarantees this will be awful.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I mean... I would hope that they're smart enough to NOT just clone the cartoon. That would be legitimately terrible, because A) 80% of the physical jokes just wouldn't work, B) the sheer number of crazy bending sequences would be incredibly expensive to develop, and C) the vast majority of the ATLA fandom are now adults or approaching adulthood. They're definitely going to need to rethink, reimagine, and write some new content if they want to appeal both to old fans and to new audiences who were, as Gengar put it, "above cartoons".

I really want them to change things up and try to make a more mature Avatar, with more character backstory and more dramatic heft. If they can take out all the cheesy kid drama and try to write more along the lines of the show's most emotional moments (fire nation teens on the beach, the entire zuko and iroh relationship, tales of ba sing se, aang's struggle with taking lives, etc etc), then that will be a show worth watching regardless of how awesome the action is or isn't.

I also want them to dial down some of the comedy and action, and spend more time exploring the spiritual aspects of bending and the Avatarverse.

An age up for all the young characters wouldn't be unwelcome either. Make Aang 14 or 15 and increase everyone else appropriately.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There's a few thoughts going through my head at this news.

Netflix has turned everything it touches into shit, so that's a sign for caution.

The people from Korra working on it is another sign for caution, but they're working on the original ATLA as a base; how badly can they fuck it up? (Dont answer that)

I am interested in seeing if the concept of ATLA can turn into a live action work. I don't think it can, not with its scope and concepts and gags that have supported it, but maybe I'll be surprised? If they have to turn to something completely different for it to work out, what would have been the point of it?

I'll keep an eye on this sort of expecting it fail horribly, but hoping that it won't.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Something I missed is that Netflix and Bryke haven't said it is a straight up remake. They are throwing around significantly different jargon.

Netflix twitter:

Bryke:

So yeah. I'm expecting some big changes.

10. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Sounds like: "This is what we would've done if we didn't have Nickelodeon breathing down our necks". I'll be cautiously optimistic on that one.

11. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp. I loved the original show, and I liked Korra in the last two seasons. It does feel a little unnecessary to make any kind of remake of the original show (live-action or otherwise), but hopefully they will change things enough to keep it interesting.

12. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    lmao, I was about to make a new thread before I searched. Anyways we've gotten another update on this https://thegww.com/netflixs-avatar-the-last-airbender-beging-early-vfx-tests/

The actors shown in that are probably not the ones that are going to be in the show since they havent had casting yet, so no worries on there being insane ethnicity mix ups like that last one.
    Still pretty far out but I'm a bit optimistic that even if it's not the next GoT(with its high VFX budget) it at least wont be crap what with the directors of the old show leading it and giving updates occasionally https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAir...flixs_atla_liveaction_remake_what_we_know_so/

Though some stuff looks a bit sus. Though that may just be drama, also it's been said that they may not age up the characters and they'll have their canonical ages (12 for aang, 14 for Katara/Azula, around 15-16 for Zuko and Sokka) which imo would be a bit of a weird choice since child actors are either great or mediocre.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    What makes me happy is that they are looking to get the original VAs in to play a few of the smaller roles. Dante Basco has been confirmed.

Zuko for Cabbage Merchant and/or Foaming Mouth Guy plz.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Definitely hope they don't age the kids up. Would half ruin it for me. But I agree child actors are hit or miss. Fingers crossed they get lucky like GoT did with Arya.