1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New computer advice

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Sorrows, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

DLPers I am in need of you expert advice,

I recently won a bet with my dad and now he has to buy be a brand new computer. I have somewhere around £300 to £700 to spend and the only real things I want out of it is the ability to play the latest games and store my coursework (and for it to be better than my brothers computer.)
    What do you recommend? (bare in mind this is not my money)

Cheers

P.S I know next to nothing about computers so please don't baffle me with technobabble:rolleyes:

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

If you want a gaming computer, you're gonna need a hell uva lot more money than 700 dollars. However, if it's going to be mostly for office work (documents or letters), you won't need much.

If you're getting a pure gaming machine, you'll need (at the least) of 2,000 dollars at the most. Computer's cost a lot of money. Sorry to disappoint you.

3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Give us the specs of your brother's computer.

4. Breed

Breed Third Year

The price she listed was in pounds, hence the '£' in front of the numbers. That equates to about $1300.

I had a quick look around, and the best machine for £700 is:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/035569

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    3GB memory, 750GB hard drive
    768MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS graphics

Should play games out now, and the rest out this year on a medium settings? What do the rest of you guys reckon? Haven't really been keeping up on the latest GFX hardware lately. It was a lot easier in the old days, the greater the numbers, the better the computer. Now it's all about cores, cache, bandwidth...

EDIT: Sorry for the irritable and patronising first line, but it irritates me when people forget there are other currencies in the world.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. Sorrows

Thanks, I will look up the specs on my brothers computer when its not 11 at night. All I can remember now is that it has visa, a duel processor and he bought the latest graphics card about 5-7 months ago.

Edit: oh and he can play Assassins creed on it (at low graphics I think) and its less than 2 years old.

6. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

You'd get the best computer for the money if you were willing to assemble it yourself, but I can see why its not an option for some people, especially since you said you didnt know much about computers.

It would be worth looking into, if you know somebody who'd be willing to do it for you, it really saves a lot of money. I spent about $1200 on a computer that would have cost over $2000 at the time. It's not too hard, it's mostly just sticking stuff in slots, and connecting a few wires.

I haven't really kept up with retail computers, so I can't really help you there, sorry.

7. Breed

Breed Third Year

You should be able to just manage Assasins Creed on max with the PC I listed.

AC has rediculous system requirements anyway.

8. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Without going into the whole dollars != pounds stupidity, I bought my current gaming rig, which I've played through Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed on (medium graphics, decent FPS rate), for five hundred Australian, brand new, not including monitor and peripherals. People that say you need thousands of dollars just to play games are elitist arseholes or just plain ignorant.

If you can manage to somehow survive without playing the graphics-heavy content-light games that are shitting up the market these days, you don't need much more than a couple gigahertz and change in a dual-core processor, somewhere in the GeForce 8-series or equivalent for graphics, plus a gig or two of RAM. The Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in hard whenever you get within a year or so of new with computer hardware.

Going even further, if you can entertain yourself perfectly well with games a few years old - which are arguably superior to the everything-is-or-has-a-sequel games made today - you can pick up something second-hand for a pittance that'll do you just fine.

On the other hand, if you feel the need to treat your computer like others would treat a sports car, go on, buy some overpriced monstrosity that'll be on the cutting edge for about two months before becoming merely meh.

9. Sorrows

... so what exactly is you advice Tehan? I am glad you think I don't need a £1500 monstrosity, but its not my money I'm spending, its my dads so the pittance thing isn't my problem. Once I work out what you advice is I will surly thank you for it. :)

Danjam: My uncle is a graphics something-or-other and builds all his own computers, (mostly from parts that 'fell off a lorry'.) Only problem is that he is flat broke and living in Nottingham so I will have to wait till Christmas to see him.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  10. Breed

Breed Third Year

Or, you could just buy a console that will last you 5+ years.

11. Sorrows

errr
    No thanks

For one thing I'd never get a go, for another I harbor an irrational hatred for the bloody things. There aren't any good ones on the market at the moment anyway.

12. Tehan

Where's the communication breakdown? I made a few different recommendations based on different variables, interspersed with bitter barbs at the gaming industry.

It's not your money, sure, but that doesn't mean you should rack up the maximum amount just for the hell of it. Buy something decent for a couple-few hundred quid and rack up some browny points with the parental units for not going nuts.

Besides, if your uncle is in the industry and is a champion-level scrounger to boot, why the hell are you talking to us? Get on the phone to him.

13. Sorrows

Technically my uncle is currently a window cleaner after the company he worked for went broke or something.

My dad would pitch a fit if he herd his younger brother was getting iffy computer parts for me, and that he was paying for them, trust me it would go down way worse than spending bit more.
    Not that my uncle would either he has double standard when it comes to his darling nieces, he dislikes us using the shady internet tricks we have picked up from him over the years. He would possibly assemble it, but nothing more.
    He is still good for quality pirate anything though, specially around Christmas.:)

14. Breed

Breed Third Year

It's generally what happens when their employees keep stuff that 'fall out of lorries'.

15. Sorrows

Company. Went. Bust. -_-

Possibly because the entire design team was being largely ignored, so spend 6 months being paid while they played WoW, (back when WoW was still cool and exiting.)

16. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

Have you had a look at the Cyberpower systems website here
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/
    They do a hole load of different systems for under £700, In there AMD athlon 64 gaming pc section there are five different pc ranging from £395 to £639 and they are within your budget.

17. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Gamereplays.org offers monthly advice on gaming computers. It's worth a look as they tell you the price in USD so you'd have to find the price in £. They also tell you how to build your own PCs if that matters.

July 2008 advice.

August 2008.

Worth taking a look if you can find the prices in England.

18. Sublime

Sublime Guest

Something like the Intel Dual-Core E2200 (2.2GHz) would be ideal if you want to be able to play games without it being too expensive (It'll do for Assassin's Creed anyhow :p). Here its £45, you could probably find a better price by shopping around, I'm afraid I just went to the first computer parts site that had .co.uk when I googled.

As for the graphics card I think you would need at least a GeForce 8600GT which is £34 at the same site, although I would recommend a better model perhaps a 9 series?

Now days most motherboards have built in sound so unless you play a lot of music its not really necessary to buy a sound card.

2GB of RAM really is a must, especially if you plan to run vista.

Heres a good guide on Building A New Computer and his total comes to £410 using the google currency conversion.

Hope this helps :D

19. Sorrows

I thank you all for your wonderful advice, however any computer I build will A) explode or B) go for world domination, so I probably need a completed computer. I cant even cannibalize the monitor ect from my old computer since its going to my younger sister.

20. Tehan

There's a lot of shops that let you pick the parts you want off the shelves and they build it for you, usually for a fee. Half the time they install the OS while they're at it.

Oh, and here's a bonus tip:

GET XP.

Fuck Vista. Fuck it to death with a rake.