1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New ff.net characters (including Daphne G.)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Perspicacity, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Hi.

I just noticed that fanfiction.net has added new characters to their list of story search parameters. Among them is Daphne Greengrass. (Others, of less interest to the community, include Rose Weasley, Astoria Greengrass, and Xenophilius Lovegood).

I mention this because many authors (DobbyElfLord, the most recent) here have written stories with Daphne and may wish to reclassify them accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    About time.

Although I doubt most of the Greengrass stories are going to get in there, unless someone over at ffnet is manually recatagorizing stories that were abandoned years ago. Granted, it doesn't really matter if 'greengrass' is in the title or summary, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a Daphne story lurking in the OC section that I've never read.

On the bright side though, it's probably not worth reading.

Anyway, Pers, thanks for the update.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

About time. When I was looking at it the day before yesterday or something, there was only Astoria Greengrass, and dozens of crappy Draco/Astoria fics. Nice to see they now added Daphne as well.

Here's hoping that we'll see many stories there with our favourite OC ;)

Edit:
    I wrote 'About time' first >.<

The only story I know of that is Harry/Daphne and has not her name in the summary is this one: To Deny Your Fate

When I read it, quite some time ago, I found it average. As my standards have risen (I hope), it would seem to support your theory.

4. Freelancer

Freelancer Fourth Year

Just a note that FF.net has also added Tracey Davis and several other characters to their list of story search parameters.

5. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Lily E and Liliy P are now different characters, we need to quickly fill it up with time-traveling Hilly.

6. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah I noticed it to, they also added characters for other fanfics

7. Tenebrae

Tenebrae Second Year

I think they added a few more yesterday, too, but I'm not sure who.

8. Sesc

Since we already have the thread ... what the fuck is that shit with the character limits in reviews? It's new, 8000 is max. That's less than 1,500 words. How am I supposed to write long reviews, then? >.<

Already had to cut a review just yesterday because it exceeded the limit. What's the sense in that?

Also, what did they change the account area around for? I liked it as it was, now it's worse. It used to be much simpler to navigate. And I can't find the storyhits anymore -- there's just the monthly one. I want the complete, overall one, but they removed that.

What a crap improvement.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I concur with the latter, definitely. It's pissing me off now that I'm finally with more time to write and catch back up on the things I've missed over the past month to maneovre through this new interface. What's with the world and editing things that don't need it?

Similarly, Hotmail's got a new account screen going 'round. I just got it this afternoon and I couldn't open my emails until I reloaded the page a half dozen times. Not that the old one was perfect, but at least it worked for me.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I wish they'd left it alone. It had been the same since I signed up in 2002. All they'd ever done was add a new button.

Oh well. I guess the admins are actually doing shit these days.

As for the new characters, I noticed this awhile ago, but I never said anything. Probably should have.

It's kinda weird how some of those weird ass characters that might have been mentioned once and no one remembers got character slots before the characters who were only mentioned once but fanfiction authors seemed to use didn't get one until now.

11. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

What I want to know is where did Lorcan Scamander and Lucy Weasley come from? I assume that Lorcan is Luna and Rolf's son?

Hmmm, I just looked at the Lexicon and they have a number of little ones who have popped up out of nowhere.

Whatever.

Now...if only somebody would have a Harry/Amelia Bones fic...for some reason once I saw her name there I had a desire to read such a pairing.

Weird.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes... a sixty year old, grey-haired cop who wears a monocle with an underage boy who is a celebrity of the Wizarding World. I can't see how that could go wrong >_>.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Don't worry, it's a natural reaction. The only known, reliable treatment is finding a fic with that pairing.

Sadly though, with rare pairings the quality is often poor and the pickings slim indeed. As such, reading any of the available material serves more as avoidance therapy than anything else. :(

The only fic I can think of off hand (assuming harem stories where she's included as an afterthought don't count) would be Honourable Substitutes (by Kit, at the PottersPlace3 Yahoo group).

Dinosaurs still roamed the earth when last it updated and the story never really got around to any actual Harry/Amelia interaction, beyond a few conversations in Susan's presence.

14. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

Eh, a good writer could make anything work mate.

That said, perhaps a non-romantic relationship. Regardless, I'd like to see more Amelia Bones, I always liked her character for some reason.

15. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

There's a Harry/Amelia fic at adultfanfiction where Harry is transported back to the first war era and is, naturally, mistaken for James. Sex ensues. Besides that, I haven't seen any.

I was really bored that weekend.

16. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This last sentence surprised me. I was infinitely sure you were going somewhere else with that statement.

Does anyone have a napkin? I think I got sarcasm all over my shirt...

17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The hits statistics have made their triumphant return. I'm personally fine with the new layout, given this latest development. It's more cluttered and the tab system is pointless, but it's mostly superficial.

18. Sesc

Yeah, but I hate people who change something, just for the sake of doing it. Also, it seems to be completely random. For example, the dropdown boxes had this typical FF.net violet/lavender blue. Then they changed the form of the buttons and made it white. Then, they made it blue. Now it's back to violet again.

:confused:

Why the hell change it, if the new layout doesn't offer any advantages whatsoever? It's wasted time and money -- and on top of that, which each change, you always run into the risk of even making it worse, just like here.

That new Review-layout, for example, is driving me insane. Green/white/blue-blinking-when-mouse-move gives me eye-spasms. And I can't use the DLP mod, since I don't have Firefox.

Why couldn't they leave it as it were? Nobody complained about the layout, for fuck's sake. About unformatted PM's, about the Editor eating signs like ~, about non-standard emails where the Date field is missing in the header, yes, but not about the damn layout. Nobody cared. It was functional and got the job done. Now it's cluttered and annoying.