1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

New stick stuck in the mud...

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Melreys, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Melreys

Melreys Muggle

Hi, I'm Melreys, both here and on Fanfiction. Occasionally you might find me by a different name on an old site, but the list of them is starting to dwindle a bit. I've only been around the net two years and some though, so am hardly an elder by any standards.

I was redirected to this site yesterday when trying to find some gory linked fic on LJ, and decided to poke around it awhile, checking the general population out. Don't think my slash shipping views, my gender or my age are going to be very popular with all the warnings, but hey, even if I get torn and abused and banished from this holy place forever at least I'll know to steer clear next time.

Maybe I could work on the optimism, too.

Anyway- I'm fairly interested in HP/Lord of the Rings crossovers as of now, even though most in the general population are few and complete crap. However, there's a fairly good WIP by Hoshi-Tachi, The Boy and the Ring, that I recommend if anyone's interested.

My shippings are few and many. I generally avoid writing purely the romance genre personally, but when interested will pair literally everything 'cept Harry, Ron and Hermione within each other. Oh, and I don't do the Ginny thing either. Laughably, the best romance fic I've ever read was about Luna and a Threstal, but luckily I can't remember the title off the top of my head.

At the moment I'm working on my first real sort of HP fic, The Statue of Secrecy, but I think I'm going to need a beta for it because what i've written so far barely 4k words and the plot's all over the place. Maybe I'm just being modest but one chapter and no reviews doesn't exactly spell much for my writing being anything special.

On the topic special writing, no, I don't have a favorite fic. I guess it's because there are so many good fics out there, along with not so good ones, and picking one fic over another would be like putting another good fic down. But I guess if I must choose then I'll go along with the MarySue bashers and say 'A Mary Sue Alphabet' by Irony-Chan.

So, that's me in a nutshell. The ever-redundant Melreys. In real life I'm a bit of a loner - I have friends, but they're not exactly my arms and legs - and am obsessed with whatever books are latest in Angus and Robertson. (Most of the time it's the ideas from books that I love rather than the books written themselves, thus I fandom everything from the unlikely Hybrids to Pendragon to His Dark Materials to ick, Twilight of all things horrendous...)

I play Hockey and have done a few Archery courses. Live in Sydney, Australia but have moved a few times.

You'd better post back lest the Evil, Rabid, Teenage, Fangirl slips through your fingertips...

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Seventh Year Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome, you have a nice writing style, so long as you never mention your slash preferences again you should be OK. A good HP/Lotr is 'The Black Wizard' which I think is in the library.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

She used the word "lest" in a post -- and she used it correctly -- so she sounds like she'll fit in here.

4. Hawthorne

Hawthorne Guest

I like her. Can I have her? Please!

5. kalantha

kalantha Sixth Year

Now, now Hawt you know that you can't go stealing new members. Anyways, welcome Melreys you seem a decent type. Liking slash is cool as long as you don't post slash fics in the library. I think you'll fit in just fine. :)

6. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Twilight? Really? I picked up the book and read it the other day. It actually seemed really great (nice, captivating writing and everything) until I finished, and then thought about it.

And then realized how utterly stupid the plot/characters are.

So I can understand the fascination with it, but don't believe it's deserved in the literary sense at all.

Anyway, you seem like you'll fit in just fine. A warm "Welcome to DLP :D" from me.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. If you need help with your story, just go on IRC. There's lot's of great writers there that can give you feedback.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't go that far. (Maybe replace "cool" with "tolerable"). You may find the forum somewhat less accommodating in terms of hawt guy-on-guy action outside the Intro threads.

Anyway, to the OP, welcome to DLP. I read your chapter and left you a review. (Summary version: It's not a bad start, but it does need to be cleaned up some. Oh, and your title is misspelled).

8. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You win for just that sentence. InternalBleeding!Luna is the best kind, in my opinion.

Also, Lady Sorrows, the Black Wizard is terrible. It breaks the first two rules of crossovers.

Rule 1. When sending a character from one fandom to another, never send another character with him. The crossover hero is a lone one.

Rule 2. Crossovers should always be one way (returning at the end of the fic is acceptable).

Rule 3. Never massively overpower one fandom over another.

Rule 4. Never cross more than 2 fandoms at once.

Rule 5. When crossing over entire worlds, and not just characters, they must be compatible.

Rule 6. When crossing over entire worlds, do not mix up the characters too much. For example: Buffy and the Scoobies should never be found within the halls of Hogwarts.

9. NataliaGAG

NataliaGAG Fourth Year

I like her too! Can we share?

10. Sorrows

High Score:
    Taure I did not mean it is all that good in regards to other crossovers in general, just that it is vastly superior to the other HP/LotR crossovers, its even finished.

Shares of Melrays going at £5 per body part, get them while there warm.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  11. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

This is the kinda nice nice DLP the we aren't. Her mention of liking and shipping slash should be met with intolerance and flaming.

Here you go Melreys

12. Sorrows

High Score:
    That is all she said on the matter, she didn't go 'OMG I luv HP/DM and HP/SS its teh best1!!' so long as leaves it at that then there is no reason to flame the hell out of her.
    However if she tries to defend it, (or even mentions mpreg) then she is fair game.

13. NataliaGAG

NataliaGAG Fourth Year

She wouldn't. She seems pretty smart.

14. kalantha

kalantha Sixth Year

Perspicacity, oh psh oldie. :) Keep up with the slang, by cool I meant tolerable.

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heh. First time I've been called an "oldie". (My account's not even been active a year).

16. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

How is it lucky? Personally I hope you could remember that one, I'd be very interested as to how that came about. Anything that...perverse deserves admiration.

Welcome to DLP.

17. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Moderator

That's probably because Kalantha is 9 1/2 years old and nearly everyone is an oldie to her. You should see the trouble she gives 11 year olds.

and why are the women after this new chick? My theory is correct all girls on the net are Bi.

18. Melreys

Melreys Muggle

It's better being called an oldie than a newbie, Perspicacity. That reminds me, I really should get my post count up, hmm...

You'll probably get sick of me when you realise how much I talk- mostly about myself. I'm afraid that'll have the share market going down, so I'd lower the stock prices at least two pounds if I were you, Lady Shadows. To self: Maybe I can get away before they hit the ten pound mark...

And I completely agree with your rules of Crossovers, Taure, assuming they're yours. If I were to quote each one and add a little comment this post would probably get way too long and too confusing, unfortunately. Parodys and humour fics - and those nasties where they war two or more worlds together in a supposedly humorous way - I have also thus come to avoid in the Lotr/HP crossover worlds 'cause they're so badly written, but I'm open to reading practically anything in the section, just because there are so few crossovers of the sort around. What was that fic suggested again...?

I sort of knew this would happen. (I have astonishing powers in Divination, you see, and past seeing the untimely demise of your persons, I just know things without explanation.) But as of right now there's a bargain of sorts: I won't mention it, let a couple of stray comments fly, and you won't flame me to the nether rejions of hell. So maybe I just made that bargain up, but whatever. It sound okay? Okay!

Though I would be happy to strike up a flame war somewhere else, if you insist. To your immense surprise I'm sure Lincos, I had already read that thread. Kind of outrageous of me to still continue here with it all, but what can I say, I'm a bowl of surprises.

And by the way, since you asked, Lady Sorrows, no mpreg. That's a bit too... gross. :)

PS: This doesn't count as defending. I think. Hope. Even if it is, I have to have some sort of moral standard on stuff, and being crushed into an avoiding corner isn't going to help the situation at all, as painful and entertaining as it might be...

19. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

>.<

Other than that... welcome. Also... find that Luna/Thestral story again and give us the link.

20. Sorrows

High Score:
    -_-

/filler/
    filler/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008