1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New to the UNCE

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Militis, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, so I've started to get into the Trance/House/whatever music. I'm pretty sure that what I've found is probably considered "newbie" stuff, or perhaps mainstream.

What are ya'll's suggestions on where to start? What's good? What should I stay away from?

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Im typically a vocal person, some people don't have a preference, and some stay away from it. A good instrumental track can still be epic though.

As for specific recommendations; DJ Shah, specifically Songbook. Mother fucking epic album. Oceanlab and Above & Beyond. Technically the same group with a fem!Vocalist added. I, and a great number of people agree, think Justine Suissa is one of the top vocalists out there. Makes Oceanlab skeet-tastic.

Jaren is epic as well, so look into her guest stuff with Armin van Buuren and the like, and with Cerf and Mitiska. Sarah McLachlan still makes me fap. Hybrid's Super Collider remix of Fear is still a favorite. The Dusted Remix of Angel is awesome too.

Gabriel & Dresden's stuff is fuck all kinds of awesome, but they split up and while they have some good stuff, its not nearly as epic as their old stuff.

Agnelli & Nelson, Hybrid, Kyau & Albert, Lange...

Failing anything specific just look at Livesets.us. RSS it and you've got a way to keep track of when certain "shows" are updated. Personally, I like Deep Blue, A State of Trance, Trance Around the World... But just pick and choose until you find the style you like.

4. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

You must have missed his thread. Why would I host a mirror of his epic mixes if I didn't like them? ;)
    Thanks, I'll get right on that.

5. Oz

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I did indeed. It's hard to spot the sarcasm that early in the morning/late at night.

7. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Listen to Vash for he is wise. I also recommend looking at stuff from Bcomplex (fucking brilliant), Matrix and Futurebound (more like DnB but still great), Atlantic Wave, Beam, ATB, Paul van Dyk, The Crystal Method is ok but nothing special, Dash Berlin, DJ Dean, METRIK, Blank and Jones and finally, Smote.

UP there are some of my favourite artists concerning trance (some DnB and HOuse etc up there but meh) so look them up.

If you're keen on some jungle music as well take a look at DJ Hype or Aphrodite.

8. Oz

I second B Complex (Bigger Oranges, Girl With Flower), and have a listen to Hybrid -- Finished Symphony in particular. Not really trance, but meh.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If you have iTunes, I'd suggest turning on the radio, going to Electronica > Then browsing through the Trance/Progressive stuff there. Just find what you like and go with it. It also helps that if you have a song that you like, or a band, go to Pandora and make a station, its a good way to find music of that type there.

10. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

iTunes doesn't work in Linux.

Also, I wouldn't have to go through all this if RAGE RADIO actually worked. (Hint hint, nudge nudge.)

Thanks for the tips gents.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Let's Push Things Forward (Hostage Remix)

The Human (Ocelot Remix)

Umbrella (Jody Den Broeder Lush Radio Edit)

Castle in the Sky - DJ Satomi

Hide & Seek (Tiestos In Search of Sunrise Remix)

Some of my favorites. Plug the names into Google and you can usually find download links easy.

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Google the A State of Trance episodes. They're all good, and they're loaded with unce.