1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 II 2019 Flash Story Competition

Prompt: Magical Fairytales
    Length: 800 - 1.2k
    Get Writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Newest Mac costs less than similarly configured Dell

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by LINKed up, Aug 25, 2006.

1. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
  2. se7en

se7en Professor

Mac systems are not that great. I still prefer PC's.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

That and most of the world is so familiar with PC's i just don't like switching.

4. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    Since these new macs can run both Operating Systems, I might think about converting down the road, when I get more money. But as it stands now, its just too inconvenient.

5. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

I'm considering getting one as soon as I become less broke since the PC I have now is a few years past its prime.

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

My school uses Macs... so unfortunately I'm a bit familiar with them.

I don't plan on switching any time soon though.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Macs are sooo much better than PC's its unbelievable. I have always used macs at home, having to use PC's at school and at friends houses is like going from listening to a master piper, to listening to a 6 year old who got his hands on a set of bagpipes.

Macs are vastly more reliable, I have only ever known 1 mac computer to freeze, and that was because my dad was running OSX.2 or something on a computer designed to run 9.2.

As well as all that, the command key has to be the best invention ever. I repeat, EVER. I miss it whenever I use a PC. It makes most shortcuts possible, and thus, most shortcuts that I'm used to are missing from PC's.

8. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Mac's at my school consistantly freeze and always have problems. Not to mention 99% of computer games dont like working on Macs

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The few times I have used mac's (at internet cafe's) the sucked ass. They were unbelivably slow and hard to use.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin

Macs are actually very good, have decent hardware, and a halfway decent OS...much better than Windows. It's BSD based. It's pretty intuitive and works great. They have their downsides (ie, lack of ported games) but Macs are anything but shitty. Now it's Windows coupled with the bargain hardware companies like Dell use that truely suck. Personally, I prefer my Linux and how verbose it is.

11. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I have used both but prefer Macs to PC's. less problems. I myself have 2 pc's on lap top one desktop and a Mac and find Mac is better .

12. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    The main problem with macs, the one reason that PCs outsell them is...wait for it...you can't right click.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:p

P.S: Sorry about the smilie abuse, but at least I didn't spam the yellow dildo. ------>:banana:

EDIT: Sorry about the mild necro, I figured if it was near the top it would have more recent posts. Oh well.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  13. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Ah yes the mac vs pc debate. I dont know I prefer PC's. I use macs at school but they constantly freeze and the airport goes on a fritz every single goddamn class. The laptops just recently got recalled and we have 20 for the entire school of 300. Wonde-freakin-ful. Oh and heres the kicker. When we had 200 students our server was at its breaking point. The server would drop people randomly when everyone had laptops and it was a headache for people. This was when we had a large project that all years had to do. Now junior years rolls around, we have another 100+ students coming in. I ask about the server problem and you know what they did? Add more Ram, processing power? nope. they added more harddrive space. Now how the hell is that going to help the network jam when people log on. They even did this shitty little protocol that we had to do when we use laptops. We log on to a generic account and then we have to connect to the network to mount our drives. We could have just logged in straight to our accounts. I swear my school has IQ issues.

14. razz

razz Seventh Year

And they're prettier. Don't forget that.

Macs are so the best.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm always amused by the little things they slip into mac reviews.
    Yeah because saving plugging in a cable is so hard, and you'd have to be a retard to not be able to upgrade RAM. Alot of the Mac review sites I've seen generally make it sound like owning a PC requires you to be some sort of tech wiz, and considering some of our users, it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Macs do have some power, but I'd give them the edge, as Raven said, b/c most windows PCs the average consumer has are built from the absolute bottom of the barrel components by mass market producers who taken very little into account when they build a PC other then, "Is this going to make me profit"

Build a PC yourself using a similar setup to what your Dell/Gateway PC uses, except use namebrand storebought stuff, and watch how much higher it performs without all the crappy parts and barely working software =)

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    I beg to differ about the right clicking issue. Sure you didn't use to be able to do so, but any up-to-date mac mouse has 2, or 3, or 4 or even 5 mouse buttong.

And about how school macs freeze all the time, its because they are prehistoric, like school PC's, any school computer is prehistoric. Hell, my maths department is still using BBC Micro's.

However, never with a mac, have I ever experienced things just going randomly wrong. If things bugger up, there is a reason. However, with PC's I have seen them randomly go to pot for no reason at all.

17. se7en

se7en Professor

I have 8 mouse buttons :)

And if you get a build a computer, it is much cheaper, and much faster than the ones they sell at dell or best buy.

18. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I have had my mac laptop just randomly fuck up, but that was because of some hardware errors and the fact that, later on, its was in its fifth year of usage, most of those having it being carted to and from school in a backpack. I'm just surprised that it even lasted as long as it did, considering what happened to it a couple of times, like falling on the screen and falling off my bed when I fell asleep.

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    Your lucky that your school allows to to have a laptop with you. My year head would probably eat me even for suggesting it. Probably cause my school is populated by neds (chavs) who would delight in destroying them.

I have a friend who's dad builds and sells very good computers at exorbitant prices for a living.