1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Well fuck. Off to listen to some Avicii I guess...

2. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Anybody else watch Smallville when they were younger? Whatever its problems, I loved the show.

Chloe (Alison Mack) was just arrested for sex trafficking. Apparently she was a top members of a cult/sex slave ring/ponzi scheme and has her initials branded on the slaves. Her nickname was 'Pimp Mack'.

Lana (Kristen Kruek) was also involved with the group briefly 5 years ago, but she claims she had no idea about any of this.

WTF?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...m/news-story/27957e473665bb88fb7fbddb865f4e31

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  3. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro Professor

Grace Park was also in the group but left. Apparently both her and Kristen roles are alleged to be significant according to former members. What is wild about it is the group credits Kristen for recruiting Allison in the first place.

4. CareOtters

CareOtters Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Man. This makes me wish there existed such a thing as good Smallville fanfiction.

5. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read about this before. Did they just finally decide to convict her or what? Maybe it was a rumor before.

6. VanRopen

VanRopen Unspeakable

I remember reading about allegations last year, looks like they finally put together enough to arrest.

7. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

What were you doing when you were 12?

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
  9. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Reminds me of My Side of the Mountain, which the author wrote as a what if based on his family's tradition of 'running away' and then just coming back pretty quickly (he didn't make it past the bus stop iirc). One of my favorite childhood books.

10. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. BTT

BTT Headmaster

12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

If you like chocolate, I've got some bad news for you.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

14. Sorrows

Sorrows Unspeakable Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    The man with the golden arm has given his last donation at 81.

James Harrison has spent the last 6 decades donating blood once a week, 1,172 times. He happens to carry the antibody Rho(D) immune globulin that can be turned into a shot that saves unborn babies who have blood incompatible to their mothers.

There are very very few people in the world with these antibodies. His plasma has gone into every shot of anti-D in Australia in the last 60 years. The man has saved over 2 million babies.

Stone cold hero.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. BTT

BTT Headmaster

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
  17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Poor chap is living out what fantasy he can. Coffee is the only black thing he'll ever sell.

18. Jarizok

Jarizok Groundskeeper

In other news: Prince Harry seems to be getting married today. Who knew?

19. blob

blob DA Member

Starting today, GDPR is fukken live.

I have to admit that I am inordinately pleased at the deluge of emails desperately begging me to agree with their scummy practices of selling any scrap of data they can get their grubby hands on to other aggregators. Some are outright breaking the new law, assuming agreement, which is kind of a no-go. The worst offender had a pop-up window in which the fucking X to close it was 'agreeing' to their bullshit (and their 'advanced...' didn't have a way to opt out either) and I am eagerly waiting for those cunts to feel the pain which they'll do doubt experience sooner or later.

An interesting way to 'travel back in time', too, seeing emails from forums and such you signed up for ten years ago.

There's also the usual scramble when the businesses that failed to do much of anything for the whole two years just realized that holy shit, this is today?! and hope to modify their obsolete, labyrinthine databases within the next two hours to comply. Even better, some of those folks with fire under their ass were explicitly responsible for compliance with this very regulation and achieved precisely nothing so far. Good stuff.

It remains to be seen how many businesses will choose to block EU as a whole rather than to comply. IT systems are fragile things, especially when every next building block gets welded to already existing systems, so changing all that might be a nightmare and a half. A robust system to differentiate between EU users and those outside it isn't as simple as one might think. LA Times, for example, just redirects to a blurb telling you that for now, most of EU is unable to access its servers. Whether it was based on technical incompetency or conscious choice remains to be seen.

I'm also interested in sending a few pointed messages to certain websites I've always vaguely disliked. Might be kind of a douche move just to be an ass for no other reason to... well, be an ass, but it's not often you get the chance to fight back against such things. Such opportunities are not to be squandered.

Fun idea - send a GDPR request to one of the EU-based three-letter-agencies. Granted, they were doubtlessly made exempt (although not all governmental agencies were; I am unclear about the details of the process), but I wonder what sort of response you'd get. Knowing the sad bags that tend to work there you're not likely to get anything back, but hey, who knows?

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  20. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter