1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Just how far has the Catholic Church's influence fallen in Ireland? Weekly mass attendance has fallen from 80-90% to 20-30%, and the 'NO' campaign requested that they take no action on this campaign since their support is (correctly) considered radioactive.

Given the decades of child rape, forced labor that continued into the 90s, and various other abuses, I'm honestly somewhat shocked Ireland hasn't summarily executed every member of the clergy above a certain again.

2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

Get fucked you sanctimonious piece of shit. I hope jacking off to your ‘epic pwn’ on that straw man you concocted was at least satisfying.

3. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

The context of how he is being a dick is important though.

This was him trying to skirt the absolute limit of the conditions of his suspended sentence, and keep to the letter not the spirit.

Child assault is a hot topic anywhere I suspect, and here in the uk it's an absolute mob maker, by filming the jurors and defendant and lawyers in that case, he was providing an avenue for public opinion to influence that trial. Having had to walk through a pegada rally in Newcastle a couple of years ago, if I heard Robinson was filming me on my jury duty, I would be extremely concerned about that. Even if he didn't say a word, he is intrinsically associated, a particularly infamous man, with hate speech and incitement to violence.

Edit: to clarify, I mean that as an infamous political figure he can purport to be a breach of the peace, in the way that if - I don't know - Kanye west turned up and thought what the jury was doing was awful and filmed it, it would expose that jury to a huge amount of public attention that would jeopardise the right to a trial free of public influence.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    So when are we firing up the death camps for everyone who disagrees with you, oh supreme arbiter of right and wrong in the universe?

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Turns out that having scandal after scandal after scandal can still stick to you in some parts of the world. 'tis a novel notion.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    OH MY GOD, IS THAT TRUE???!!!! There I was, thinking brown people were just vaguely human-shaped pigs!. And I eat pigs!

If a strawman is deliberate misinterpretation of an argument, then your post is a strawman. Because that's the issue I was raising. I am a virulent racist who hates anyone with skin a shade darker than my own. There is no other explanation. And there is no other reason than racism for not wanting to accept refugees from the Middle East (which wasn't even the point in this case). You're so woke, mate.

Yo, where da white ethnostate at?
    --- Post automerged ---
    This is all well-argued. I think that's indeed what he got Contempt of Court for last year, actually trying to film in the courtroom. But this time, as I understand it, he was just streaming from the courthouse steps, nowhere near the actual courtroom. Of course, an argument could be made that given his history with this kind of thing it was reasonable to assume that he would try to get closer, but if the reports of his quick arrest, conviction and sentencing all within a few hours are accurate, then he may not have been given reasonable time to prepare his defence.

Again, this is my assumption, but given the recent history of questionable decisions by UK authorities, it's hard not to see a pattern emerging.

7. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

Every time some alt-right, white supremacist, or whatever new name they're hiding behind this week does something to get in the news you rush to their defence and wail and moan about the poor oppressed racists. I'm not going to lie, I have kind of assumed from your posts in this thread that you're some flavour of white-nationalist, identarian, whatever. If that truly isn't the case then you have my apology, but man are you picking weird battles.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    I can disagree with the person in question and at the same time disagree with authorities if the person in question is being somehow silenced for holding divergent opinions.

Also, every time? I've done it twice. The first time was about Count Dankula, and if you think he really is an antisemite who made his dog a Nazi because he hates Jews, then we have a fundamentally different opinion of what makes one alt-right/white supremacist/Nazi/Jew-hater/etc.

9. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Thank you.

So my understanding of a suspended sentence, bearing in mind I'm not a lawyer, is that he has a number of conditions to keep to and if he doesn't then his sentence can be carried out and he will serve the rest of his time in jail rather than in the community.

Here, I think he felt he wasn't breaching those conditions laid down, but if he's in prison now the judge disagreed. Rather than a 'new' conviction and sentencing, he was likely found to have breached his terms and his sentence was carried out rather than remaining suspended.

Again, not a lawyer, but in forensic psychiatry this isn't too uncommon and we have similar principles.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    @Blorcyn

Right, I think I've been using confusing terminology. Breaching the terms of his suspended sentence rather than "convicted and sentenced" for the new thing. I brought up the issue because it's of interest to me, but I don't know the conditions of Robinson's suspended sentence. It may well have been "don't approach courthouses with cameras".

11. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

No one is questioning whether breaching the conditions of the suspended sentence should, or does, lead to incarceration. If he has done so, he will go to jail.

What we, or at least I, are questioning, is whether he ought to be considered to have committed a new crime, i.e. breaching the peace - by incitement, merely by live streaming a public place.

That some immediately screaming racist for even asking whether it should be construed as incitement, disregarding political views, is both amusing and saddening.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Auror Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    While the fact abortions are going to be aloud is a great step for Ireland, though the proposed legislation will allow abortions during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, and up to the 24th week in 'exceptional circumstances'. What that ends up looking like is yet to be determined. Not to mention abortion clinics will need to be built and plenty of roadblocks could be thrown up there.

It also makes N.Ireland look ridiculously restrictive. Unfortunately May depends on the DUP for votes and so the issue is unlikely to be brought up no matter how many young women they persecute for procuring abortion pills.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Exactly this. It seems like far too many people interpret Freedom of Speech to mean "You are free to agree with me and/or the government in whatever way you wish."

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...You're not too strong on how justice and the legal system work, are you?

15. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

Every single post I see from you is more brain-meltingly retarded than the last. "Morons need not apply" still stands, so shape up or get the fuck out.
    You don't seem to have the faintest idea what "fair trial" or "innocent until proven guilty" means do you?
    I'm glad we're getting closer to the 21st century as a nation.

The only thing keeping the Catholic church alive right now are that people want their kids in good schools, and people want to get married in Churches. I honestly don't know a single person who goes to church, even for Easter or Christmas, and while the census puts us down as 78% Catholic, I'd be amazed if the number of people who actually keep any kind of faith is above 15%.

The sooner the Church fades into irrelevance the better.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Auror Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard the school system being called the churches last great strange hold on Irish life. In the UK about 25% of primary schools are CoE (as opposed to about 90% of Irish primary schools being Catholic.) The ones I went to were pretty low key with the religious aspect, hymns at assembly, church twice a year, but class was devoid of any religious angle and religious education did not focus on Christianity. I was wondering how that measured up to how the catholic schools are run in Ireland.

17. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

My religious education here didn't cover non-catholic faith in any depth until leaving certificate (15 years old, basically Irish A levels). Some schools are better, some are worse. My sister's school sex education was taught by the nuns who lived in the convent on school grounds. You can probably guess what the quality of that education was. In primary school a lot of time is (frankly) wasted preparing for Holy Communion/Confirmation. We didn't have to go to mass too often in secondary school, just for religious festivals and stuff, but in primary school we did have to go to confessions and masses on a seemingly random schedule, and throughout school we'd have priests come in and lecture us about keeping the faith.

To be fair to my secondary school, the Christian brothers were as hands-off as you can get (not a pedo joke), and the quality of education we received was really good overall, even religion class once we reached the leaving certificate, and my secondary school had a really good sex ed program where we had talks from social workers, nurses, a sex psychologist, and covered LGBT issues as well.

But my school was definitely in the minority.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    I would love to see Poland follow Ireland's example. Census says we're somewhere around 90% Catholic (I don't remember the exact number, but it's something stupidly high like that) and I don't think the Church can scrape a third of that in actual attendance.

The ruling party's voter base is still very much on the side of "if we don't talk about child abuse, it doesn't exist" and the ruling party itself caters to the Church, even though much of the country has been saying for years (surveys and personal experience) that we should tax the Church and there shouldn't be religion in schools, at least not publicly funded. Thing is, the 60+ crowd is still substantial enough that PiS (the ruling party) keeps winning large numbers of seats in elections. It doesn't help that our opposition is so laughably fragmented that PiS's shenanigans look like competence in comparison.

I reckon we're still at least a decade out (if not more, sadly) from gay marriage and loosening abortion law.

19. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

Yeah man, huge nut, very nice. Really got the blood flowing and the cum pumping. But honestly, it is pretty obvious from where I'm standing and what I've read here and in other topics. If @ScottPress is actually just a huge dipshit instead of a racist, well shit, that's my bad I guess, but I highly doubt it. My money is on both.

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    The insights into the catholic church‘s role in the private lives and education of people on here and in general are truly fascinating.

In my school days in Germany (thankfully not in Bavaria or any other particularly religious region), we had Religious Education all the way from first grade to, if you so chose, A-Levels/Abitur. We were separated into protestant/catholic from third grade until numbers dwindled so much it was more economical to put everyone together in my final year.

During school life, there were services at Christmas and for the outgoing students, but that was about it. Maybe for Easter as well, but I weirdly enough, I don’t remember a single occasion of that happening, which I think should tell you quite a lot. Protestant RE itself didn‘t even really deal with the overtly biblical stuff, more with interpretations of religion and religious principles through the ages and in modern-day society (easy A for those who actually chose to apply themselves, which was myself and two or three others), even though I know things were a bit different on the "other side," but that was also very dependent on the teacher. From ninth grade onwards, we could also choose to change to a philosophy class.

All in all, in retrospect it is rather poignant how little presence religion had throughout my primary and secondary school education. Secularism is nice, I guess.