1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Silirt

Silirt Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good.

2. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

3. point09micron

point09micron Seventh Year

Excelsior :(

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
  5. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
  6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Archived link. TL;DR is that Buzzfeed burned through half a billion investor dollars, still miss profit projections and are now asking for e-bucks from readers.

inhales

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I hope they merge with Vox and fail together.

7. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

As much fun as gloating at it would be, the problem of the impacts on modern media by the economic realities ought to be troubling. Even the serious papers are catering to the Kardashian reading populace to stay afloat and serious journalism becomes more like producing bits and pieces of sensationalism, virtue signaling and subtweeting twitter.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    1)Design adds that aren't obnoxious as fuck (for example, embedded video that starts playing 10 seconds after the website loads at Fuck You volume

2)People whitelist websites they deem worth it from their adblock

3)Life uh, finds a way

Also, no. I eagerly anticipate Buzzfeed, Vox, Salon, and more specifically gaming outlets like Kotaku dying off or getting sued into oblivion like Gawker. If Buzzfeed was on fire in front of me, I'd pour gasoline on it.

9. Dagro

Dagro Second Year

I think it needs to be said that ads are a security risk, websites forcing you to enable Javascript, allow contents from multiple third partys etc. are just not worth the risk.

10. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

Buzzfeed has one of the hardest hitting, most professional investigative journalist teams out there. Back in 2015 they had boots on the ground reporting from ISIL-held territory and they have something crazy like 7 pulitzer prize winning journalists on staff. Their investigative work is really top notch.

Everything else is a dumpster fire of course, but eh, the vitriol seems excessive.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't even know BuzzFeed did news. I thought they did those five thing videos and food videos and thats it. Might be the case that their brand is muddled with all the other things that they do, and its too late for them to refocus. Also, fuck any site with embedded ads. Its not my problem that you structure your website solely on that and try to emulate what other companies are already full invested in. Its a bit too late to try and take on ad giants like facebook and google.

I never white list any site. Ever. I've been burnt too many times, even by sites that I like and trust. And filter with extreme prejudice.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
    Wut? Only thing I’ve ever found out from Buzzfeed is that my patronus is an otter.

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Buzzfeed is kind of reminicient of the Gawker empire - most of that was (and what lived through it largely still is) just the absolute epitome of Americanism; overbearing, obnoxious, loud, and simplified past usefulness. But I'll be damned if there weren't a few people in both areas that don't punch way above their weight. Buzzfeed's investigative team, and risking the disdain of Zombie I'll say a few of their cooking people are pretty damned top-of-the-line. And there are a few people in the Gawker team, most notably a few of their Deadspin staff, break some amazingly well-written and sourced stories as well.

Can't say I've ever even seen Buzzfeed's actual website though, I can imagine it's probably like the internet equivalent of walking into a store in a mall that is branded to attract teenaged popular girls as customers.

14. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never seen many of their cooking videos or their staff. I'm sure they're talented. There is a certain kind of art that goes into experimental cooking that I don't really have the patience for.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    The most "professional" thing Buzzfeed has done was publishing the Steele dossier about Trump's golden showers, which should speak for itself. Everything else is here's how you can check your privilege/List of X things about Y, you won't believe #7!!!!/millenials try rollerblading for the first time. They're the inheritors of Gawker's brand of "journalism". I'll laugh when they go bankrupt.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

You're so tediously wrong so often. Makes me wonder what a day in your life is like.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    Definitely not as interesting as yours. I don't run marathons.

Oz
  18. Microwave

Microwave Sixth Year

19. Solfege

Solfege Death Eater DLP Supporter

This is a bit of an oldie, the article came out in August. But it's obscure enough I thought it was worth bringing up.

In 2017 the Russians unleashed the cyber equivalent of a nuclear bomb to achieve a tactical victory in the Ukraine. It was well beyond their direct control, with logistics companies around the world suffering losses in the hundreds of millions each. Only now has a full reporting been covered.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  20. Agni

Agni Third Year