1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Aquaman passed 1bln this weekend. WHO'S EXCITED FOR JUSTICE LEAGUE 2? Hahahaha.

2. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

China just re-sentenced one of their pet hostage Canadians to death for more extensive participation in a drug smuggling network than was noted in his prior 15-yr conviction, following a swift one-day retrial. Way the law works in China is as an executive arm of the CCP brass, who deliberate and determine the outcome behind closed doors before it comes to the courts for sentencing.

The warning, naturally, continues in the line of "if you're a dog of the Americans, you get treated like a dog."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. ScottPress

High Score:
    Paweł Adamowicz, the mayor of Gdańsk for 20 years, died today after being stabbed in the heart. This happened yesterday, at the finale of WOŚP, which is an open-air charity event, one of the biggest and most well-known in Poland. The attacker rushed the stage and stabbed the mayor, then shouted about being tortured by police and his imprisonment. He was in prison because he robbed several banks. Apparently he blamed PO (Platforma Obywatelska, or Civic Platform, the largest opposition party and the previous govt between 2007-2015), but I haven't found video of it. CNN article.

Predictably, there's already plenty of disgusting shit all over Twitter. Notably from Piotr Wielgucki, who is a well known politcal blogger in Poland, outspoken critic of WOŚP, and a smelly wet shit of a man.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Pah, disgusting. Read about stabbing this morning, was hoping he'd pull through.

5. Longsword

Longsword Third Year

The guy seems to have already received a sentence of 15 years, then all of a sudden it is deemed to lenient and within a week a death sentence is produced.

6. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

In fairness foreigners have been known to get death sentences for drug trafficking. The original lenience was likely issued when China wanted good relations with Canada; but the recent spat has given them reason to arbitrarily normalise the sentencing.

======

[​IMG]

The megazord is awakening. Rangers Hong Kong (finance/trade!), Macau (tourism!), Shenzhen (technology!), and Guangzhou (massive inland markets!) will administratively fusion-ha! into a long-anticipated Greater Bay Area, with the mission to overtake Empire America's Silicon Valley. Deets to follow late February.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. ScottPress

High Score:
  8. EsperJones

EsperJones Headmaster

Is that a real news site or satirical?

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    I havo no idea. It just came up in my feed.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Clicked on the homepage, first headline is "Spider-Man is what now?" about Sony execs only just realising that Spidey dies in Infinity War. Satirical might be.a stretch, but it isn't serious at all.

11. Silirt

Silirt Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

upload_2019-1-15_15-43-51.png
    Tomorrow's news today, everyone.

12. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

John Bogle, founder of Vanguard and creator of index funds as an asset class just passed away. A titan of small investor advocacy and low fees.

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    Black Panther nominated for Best Picture.

Wat.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Oscars haven't been a judge of quality in decades. Besides, it probably won't win because it doesn't tick enough Oscar Bait boxes.

I'd bet on Bohemian Rhapsody over Black Panther.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    Eh, I've been hearing since I understood what Oscars are that they don't matter and all of that crap, but a lot of people still seem to give a crap. It's not like they're picking actual dosghit to recognize. I'm not telling anyone to care about Oscars, and I'm far from watching the entire bloated ceremony in real time (especially in the era of hosts like Jimmy Kimmel, bleh) but I'll still look up the Wikipedia entry afterwards. I use Oscars and Golden Globes for recommendations because I never end up seeing all the award season films.

Agreed that Bohemian Rhapsody is far likelier and I'd like it to win, but BP even getting the nod is a statement to BP's hype rather quality, because Infinity War was a far better film and from what I've been hearing, Spiderverse is too.

16. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    or some no name film from one of the festivals that only the judges care about. Looking at you Shape of Water.

17. Silirt

Silirt Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Film probably features the biggest divide between what critics watch and what audiences watch, but at least the producers have the incentive to cordon off the Oscar-bait films to a month, which is also the worst time to show a movie that's remotely likely to succeed commercially. Hats off to Rotten Tomatoes for posting both the audience score and the critic score, since it's basically a toss-up on which one is a more likely indicator of quality.

18. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I saw a Phil DeFranco vid recently on the politics behind the Oscars (specifically best pic) and I now care even less about the Oscars.

Spiderverse was genuinely one of the best films I saw last year. I'd rather it not get nominated at all than get the 'best animation' bone thrown to it though.

19. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alex Salmond, ex-leader of the SNP and previous First Minister of Scotland who led the campaign for independence, was arrested yesterday on charges of (inter alia) attempted rape.

Went to a pub quiz last night. Team names included:

- Alex Salmond, SNPedo
    - Smoked Salmond
    - Salmond Fishing in the Young Men

20. ScottPress

High Score: