1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Proving once again that box office tallies don't correlate at all with quality.

2. Silirt

Silirt Professor DLP Supporter

In this case it's probably just inflation, yes, but it wasn't bad.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    In fact, I think that when you factor in inflation (however slight) and the fact that TDK held out for more than a decade, it speaks to the quality of TDK and the lack of quality of DCEU. Marvel has been spitting out billion dollar grossers for years. As good as some MCU movies are, I don't think any of them reach the quality of TDK, it's just on another level, and yet they've had no trouble raking in the cash. Meanwhile, DC has been mostly shit since the Nolan trilogy.

I am very amused when I read comments how Wonder Woman and Aquaman signal a swift resurgence for DCEU. MCU has put out a few stinkers (Hulk, first two Thor movies, and I personally found Black Panther to be nothing special) but Justice League and Suicide Squad are next level bad.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    Today TVP (Poland's state TV) doxxed 8 people (private citizens, not public figures) who have been protesting outside the TVP building.

This whole thing revolves around an incident that involved a female TVP journalist being harrassed outside the building. Protesters surrounded her car and there was the usual retardation, insults, screaming, blocking the car. Eventually police stepped in and the journalist drove away.

While I find the incident unnecessary and repulsive (because I generally find getting in someone's face and blocking their car like that repulsive), I find it frankly terrifying that TVP is doxxing citizens for involvement in this. If police investigate and find something to charge them with, fine, but state TV doing this shit when no prosecution is taking place is straight up 1984 Big Brother shit.

I am at a loss for words at what is happening in this country. They're milking this protest and the incident with the journalist for all it's worth.

5. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

6. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. Solfege

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    Bruno Ganz, the actor who played Hitler in Downfall (2004), died of cancer today.

9. funkytoad

funkytoad Fourth Year

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    That whole thing smelled of a hoax from the start. Two random gaybashers watched the show? They happened to be carrying a noose or rope to make one? Jussie was still wearing the noose when cops showed up?

"Mexico will pay for the Wall" was more credible.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    Lol, apparently Jussie Smollett's "attackers" weren't white (they were black), they weren't wearing MAGA hats, at least one of them was an extra on Empire, and Jussie paid them to stage the whole thing.

What a fucking stupid moron.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Order Member Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    It seems to me, had he wanted this kind of attention, he could have given himself a decent beating out of sight of any security cameras and put on the same show without the possibility these dudes would squeal.

Also one of them went and bought a rope that was around his neck. Seriously guys?

13. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Fourth Year

He could have at least got some guys who didn’t appear on the show he stars in.

14. Solfege

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    There was speculation on Twitter that he staged the assault because he feared being written out of the show. Showrunner denied the possibility of Jussie's character being written out of the show.

He picked the worst time to do this, a week after the whole Covington mess. Now it's turned into another huge fake news stinker for the left (and quite a few Democrats who expressed support, but have now gone quiet, waiting for "facts"). This is gonna be the first reference in any future similar case of assault. Smollett didn't just fuck over himself.

In other news, Nick Sandmann (the Covington kid) is suing the Washington Post for 250mln dollars--the amount Bezos paid for the WashPo in 2013. The kid is suing them for their entire evaluation. And apparently he's also gonna be suing some of the people who called for his blood.

Just imagine... if this case becomes Gawker v Hogan 2.0.

I hope he wins and walks away set up for life.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  16. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Stinker? Methinks you're letting your glee at 'owning the libs' colour the past. This was not a case of video framing, this was the Chicago police going on record - a couple days after the attack - that:

At that point in time, there was little reason to doubt when the claim is plausible (bias-motivated attacks are up, in reporting at the very least, and for LGBT Americans they're spiking pretty hard.) and the ones in charge of the investigation were saying that they're treating this as genuine.

So, to resume: all the information in the case - facts and plausibility - known at the time led to the probability of Smollett speaking the truth being pretty darn high, and reporting / reacting to that happens accordingly. Then more stuff came to light. Specifically, two people who were visible on the camera footage mentioned in the above Fox News article, were arrested, interrogated, and then let go, and on the basis of what they told the police, the scope of the investigation changed, as it damn well should if the base for it is challenged.

That was about a week ago, and hey, now we're here, with you gleefully exclaiming your usual schtick about how the left and the media are the worst thing since the Black Death.

If it turns out that it was indeed made up (and a good chunk of information points that way currently), then fuck Smollett with a rusty pitchfork. The last thing that is needed is people making up attacks - the only thing that ends up doing is making it worse for the people who are assaulted every year on account of basically everything under the sun. It is a direct road towards not taking violence seriously - a literal trip back in time. This is - unlike what some people on this site would think (and no, I'm not including you before you go off the handle on that) - not a good thing.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    Nope. I did think the whole thing looked like a hoax (Smollett changed details in subsequent interviews, and some details were just... well, ridiculous--especially him keeping the noose on for 45 minutes because he didn't notice it?), but stranger things have happened.

There is no denying that the media went for the "listen and believe" instead of a more rational "trust, but verify" approach and immediately used the attack to condemn Trump. What does Donald Trump have to do with two gaybashing cunts? How is he responsible? That's right, he's not. And it wasn't just media who jumped on it. Cory Booker was just as quick to use it to promote an anti-lynching bill or something like that. Then once sketchy details started coming out, he went "let's wait for the facts".

And now the same media is trying to push the message that journalists got this one right, that nothing they did was unprofessional--except for the part where they took Smollett's word as gospel and fact instead of maybe, I dunno, waiting for the facts. It's another pebble to the pile of media on whatever side abandoning any principle of fact-based journalism in favor of quick narratives and propaganda.

Right wing media does it too, but it's not on me to be "fair" and point out where the other side fucked up too, just because the left media has, for the second time in the space of a month, made hay out of nothing because a fucking MAGA hat was involved.

And there was just as little reason to use it as an attack vector on Trump and by association anyone who ever touched a MAGA hat or dared vote for Trump.

I challenge your assertion that I include the left in general in that. The media, yes--they suck.

I wholeheartedly agree. Like I said, if Smollett made this up (which looks pretty damn likely at this point) he's not just fucking over himself. But he won't admit it. If he's proved a liar beyond doubt, he will double and triple down, because now he can't afford to cop to a hoax. It would ruin him completely.

If he's telling the truth, I will take back everything I said. That will still not excuse how the media reported this. They don't get to go "HAHAHA I WAS RIGHT" and erase their fuckups. You can be right and still go about things in the wrong way.

18. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I imagine the police gets rather annoyed if the media goes for independent verification - interfering with an ongoing investigation and stuff like that. And in the time since Trump became president, there have been more incidents about... Basically every kind of minority in the book being attacked. It's almost like some people feel empowered. :sherlock: Dragging Trump himself in feels too much, but ignoring the trend is likewise stupid - you're leaving out background information that is entirely germane to the story.

Every single one of your political potshots that I can remember shit on the left, with the exceptions of Trump himself and the shitshow that is the Polish government and its power abuse. But sure, if you want to assert South Park libertarianism, that's fine by me.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    Not saying it is necessarily my stance or factual, but what proof do we have that these attacks or hate crimes -actually- have increased since Trump was elected president. Sure they are reported more, but media is much more prevalent and much more motivated to find such stories because they generate revenue more now.

Correlation does not equal causation.

20. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Literally linked two articles about that earlier - both on homicides.

Though - in the interest of a little digging - the trend towards rising transgender homicides was broken in 2018, at least ostensibly.

Anyway, FBI statistics on this, summarised, all numbers rounded, data of the last five years.

2013: 5.9k single bias incidents, 6.9k victims.
    2014: 5.5k/6.7k
    2015: 5.8k/7.1k
    2016: 6.1k/7.5k
    2017: 7.1k/8.5k

Most of the increase was in the property damage department, thankfully.