1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Silirt

Silirt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The best measure of popularity is box office numbers, and that information is publicly available already, so there's no need for a ceremony reading off the top ten highest grossing films. No one's saying that's not an accomplishment, it's just a contest that doesn't need a judge or jury for a victor to be decided.

2. TieHat

TieHat Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Fine, maybe that's true. But I've never even fucking heard of Green Book and I spend more time watching television and movies than the average person. I'm not saying the most popular movie needs to win. But it shouldn't be a random ass one like Green book.

3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Oscar's are arbitrary and ran by old broken down movie stars that get specially elected to the panel. The movies they decide are good are not indicative of the taste of America. Popularity plays no role when the judges can just be bought.

I say this from a very negative place. I have never agreed with the Oscar's in any format and critics are worse than resturant yelp reviewers. Their primary goal is views and they'll do anything for that exposure. So I hate both aspects equally.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    I certainly don't always agree with the Oscars (or any other awards body, for that matter), but given the thousands of films released each year - and unless I've dramatically misunderstood the Oscars, not just ones that have gone through Hollywood to get made - is it really so hard to believe that the best film(s) of the year might not necessarily have the most traction with the viewing public?

I mean, we're having this discussion on DLP, a site literally created to celebrate the best in fanfiction, not necessarily the most popular.

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have no idea about all that, I just really liked the film. As did everyone else I know who actually saw it who wasn't some armchair twitter troll.

...what rock have you been living under? It was playing everywhere when I was released.

6. Silirt

Silirt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Why were you in prison?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Whoever the hell decides the Oscar winners watched it, I would imagine. I don't know, maybe the director sucked all their dicks. The point is, the movie they pick is the one they believe is the best. Why would their belief in it being the best depend on whether or not anyone else had seen it?
    Secondly, you're not even making an informed argument. How do you know it isn't the best movie if you haven't seen it?

I rarely agree with critics, if ever, but I only agree or disagree after watching the same movies they do.

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When IT was released. ...lol

Effing autocorrect.

8. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Seventh Year

I don't know about any controversy around the director or whatever, but Green Book is probably the most aggressively bland movie I've seen in years. How it won over The Favourite or a dozen movies that weren't even nominated is pretty baffling to me.

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Order Member Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Best Picture is graded using a ranking system. For example: 5 points 1st place, 4 for 2nd place etc. Often it pays to be a bland movie that isn't anyone's first choice but slots into 2/3rd, rather than be a divisive movie that some critics put first but others put last

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    In the latest censorship news, Facebook bans Tommy Robinson citing hate speech such as calling on people to behead Muslims, but Facebook is unable to show evidence of these posts existing.

11. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

14. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    Meanwhile, in Russia…

Green Snow!

(Link is for the Telegraph. EDIT: And it’s premium content, which I didn’t realise. Here’s a Euronews article.)

15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

I know it's usually the yellow snow that people warn you about, but I feel like you probably shouldn't eat the green snow either.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

17. Sataniel

Sataniel Professor

High Score:
  18. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
  19. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

... That is impressive. They apparently hit $3m within eight hours which is insane. I'd never heard of them before, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them and looking into their previous stuff.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    First season was 373 hours. Just fyi. I've actually never really watched them, but essentially it's a bunch of voice actors from shows like Teen Titans, Avengers, etc. sitting down and playing DnD.