1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Rehio

Rehio Heir DLP Supporter

Ah, hell, he's screwed. Pancreatic is truly an awful one. It's incredibly painful and and has a horrible survival rate.

2. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

3. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

For the first time there are more people older than 65 in the world than younger than 5.

[​IMG]

4. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

It's hard to even imagine 2.5b people older than 65. It's just crazy.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

Can I say hope awesome it is that the under 5 crowd number stays rock steady? Population plateau here we come!

6. vlad

vlad Auror Prestige

High Score:
    It's a global plateau only because the global north is dying off at the same rate as the birth rates global south at present. China's policy alone pushes that number downward drastically, but I doubt they're going to maintain it for very long when you've got four grandparents relying on a single grandson, and while geopolitical rival India is still maintaining positive birthrate growth (which is admittedly drastically lower than it was fifty years ago). I'd also bet the decline of birth rates in global south is much less than first appears because more of the children survive to adulthood.

I would bet on either the under five number skyrocketing again, or a major nose dive of the over sixty-five when the youth decide they aren't particularly interested in funding the golden years of five retirees each.

This isn't to pretend that all growth all the time is ideal or doesn't carry its own problems. Rather, it's that nature abhors a flatline, and so any long term flatline projection will be overruled by some other force, or else literally flatlined to death.

tl;dr there will never be a long term population plateau short of near absolute global governance, and even then I'm sure it would get suckerpunched.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    In the latest #metoo news, apparently Amber Heard is a psycho and lied about Johnny Depp abusing her. She was the abuser.

JK Rowling must be feeling right proper smug.

8. Solfege

Population gains of the past century were due to medical advances and best practices in child mortality prevention on the bottom end and advancement to old age on the higher end. People in the first world don't generally die from premature deaths anymore (well, excepting auto accidents, suicides, drug overdoses --- the latter two of which have unprecedentedly decreased US life expectancy the past three years in a row). Having conquered middle-aged diseases, the frontier is in geriatrics: figuring out how to prevent the mechanical, old-age breakdown of the body.

One thing that did helpfully accommodate was the green revolution, our ability to support the population boom. Without it we'd be 3 billion short (although that'd be 3 billion less poverty in the world). Anyway, there's only so much we can eke out of our current set of technologies. Until the next era of biotech breakthroughs.

I'd argue the One Child Policy gets more credit than deserved, that much of Chinese birth rate decline would've naturally occurred with a high speed economy that 1) sees high levels of female education and 2) includes high levels of female workforce participation. These two are amazing predictors of birthrate trends. And Chinese women are impressive! They're attaining higher levels of education than the men in greater volumes, and 80% of world female billionaires are Chinese. Amartya Sen's done much research in this area, and we see even lower birthrates than the Chinese average in India's most economically successful provinces, like Kerala.

Generally growth and birthrate decline go hand-in-hand; and as we've seen global growth over the past 40 years, even birthrates in the global south have cut by half, although you're right that it's still quite positive; Africa as a whole from 9-something to 4.5 children per couple.

I don't think China can gin up the babymaking factory although they dearly want to; they've tried some marketing campaigns recently to a lot of pushback. So yea, whether youth are interested depends on their prospects --- student debt load, career paths, propensity to consume. The strong downward demographic pull on aggregate demand, intergenerational transfers of wealth through government policies, and generally rising world incomes* and older childbearing ages will factor in far more than... well, whatever it is people think of nominal free will.

Climate change also, impacting population centers and food production.

* you also don't need as many children when 1) they survive dependably through childhood, which has historically been the most dangerous period of life; and crucially 2) you have other forms of retirement insurance to live out your old age

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster

Agreed. Especially when you learn that it was the West who convinced China to implement the one-child policy; specifically the Rockefellers. There is A LOT of shady shit behind the one-child policy and the family planning in India in the 80s (with forced sterilization, abortions and more). It reeks of eugenics and racism (as many 'conservates' support abortion abroad but not in the states).

Sources:
    -
    (Great documentary on how these policies seriously fucked up Asia and are seemingly being pushed in Africa now)
    - Matthew Connelly: Fatal Misconception: The Struggle to Control World Population.
    - https://climateandcapitalism.com/2009/11/23/the-dark-past-of-population-confrom/

Places like Bangladesh fell from an average of 8 kids to 2.5 in about 30 years by promoting education and promoting the middle class. It shows it's easily attainable without force. Also, globally, population rates are shrinking faster than the UN predicted. The birthrate is dropping fast. We are going to start seeing a decrease in most countries by 2050-2060.

Personally, I'm just happy baby boomers will start dying off in the next 10-20 years.

I also agree with this with South Korea being the prime example. For decades the state has been pushing for more children, including banning abortion, and it has done absolutely nothing. A large minority of women go and get illegal abortions and they still have one of the lowest birthrates in the world. The only way you will see this change is if the social structure changes and women feel like they can have children and a successful career.

10. vlad

vlad Auror Prestige

High Score:
    It's great when the universe bends itself to my worldview within a week of me making a public statement.

College application scandal

As soon as the full list comes out I am going to enjoy cross referencing their twitter accounts.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    "Rich people use money to get ahead"

This is a surprise?

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Supreme Mugwump

High Score:
    The "surprise" is they are doing it illegally.

13. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Here is a pretty in depth article with lots of transcripts for anyone interested. But yeah not at all surprised, I know of people whose parents set up fake charities for them to run to boost their applications. The only interesting thing here is that out of all the ways to cheat your way into college, they chose one with federal sentences if caught.

14. vlad

vlad Auror Prestige

High Score:
    "Getting ahead bt being rich" by sending your kid to the best schools, or using connections to make sure your kid has access to top tier summer programs is one thing.

Getting kid into a schopl where you have just funded a department or a new quad is a thing.

Getting your kid nominally threw as a prospect for the crew team when they have never so much as splashed around in a canoe is a surprise, yes. Especially when they and the institutions involved go on and on about "try harder, plebs".

It is not so much using wealth in exchange for access as it is using wealth to utterly subvert institutions, and then preening.

Edit: And we haven't even cracked into Asians vs Harvard yet. It's gonna be a wild couple years on this topic.

15. Solfege

As usual, just like with insider trading I mean, the law isn't about fairness (which is hard to define and enforce... one person's unfairness might be another person's hard work and persistent search for opportunity). It's about theft. The institutions have designated allocations, including some for legitimate cash, and as journalist Dana Goldstein said on Twitter:

US Attorney Andrew Lelling very nearly literally said, "Just donate a building like a real rich person."
    (The admissions cash market will never be framed as a straightforward quid pro quo, btw. The financial contribution will be "just one of holistic profiling factors taken into account"... it's an aristocratic economy of gifts and relationships, not a grubby middle-class transaction.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  16. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it, though?

17. Agayek

Agayek Prisoner DLP Supporter

The surprise is that they a) got caught, and b) someone actually did something about it, honestly.

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Groundskeeper

High Score:
    As some of you might have already heard if you looked at some of the major European news websites over the last few hours, F1 race director Charlie Whiting died unexpectedly last night of a pulmonary embolism, at the age of 66.

I am desperately sad about this. Throughout my whole “career“ as an F1 fan, Charlie was a familiar presence and voice of reason in the oftentimes crazy circus that is Formula 1. In fact, he fulfilled the role of race director almost as long as I‘ve been alive, and held major positions with the FIA for far longer. I like to think this might be one of the rare cases where there‘s not a single major figure in the sport that won‘t mourn his death. If not universally loved, he was at least universally respected.

I for one will miss him very much.

19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

So, err... I think that mistakes were made when writing/revising this city charter:

Mayor re-elected after being recalled.

20. sonder

sonder Second Year

FDA finally announced expansion of TAVR (Trans-catheter Aortic Valve Replacement) pool. If you're in the US and need an aortic valve replacement, you may want to ask your doctor about this option. The change comes as studies prove that the minimally invasive procedure should be offered to a greater patient population.
    More about what it is and how that decision is made.