1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

The current restoration took so long because of funding issues. Whether or not this fire changes that will remain to be seen. But, it looks like the stonework is mostly intact and a sizeable amount of treasure was saved. Also, a few years back the entire structure was laser-mapped, so recreating it as it was with decent accuracy will be theoretically possible. https://news.nationalgeographic.com...edral-laser-scan-art-history-medieval-gothic/

2. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Yeah, my biggest concern at the moment is the price tag. I fully expect it to run into the billions of euros, and I'm not sure there's room in the budget for it. I hope so, but we'll see.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even if the stone edifice was saved, though, it might have been structurally compromised to the point where it would have to be torn down and reconstructed. The towers were saved, which is great news, but the transept, the apses, the altar and nave may have to be totally replaced. It will cost tens of billions of Euros, but I think people everywhere could raise that money. It's such a cultural icon that people would want to contribute to its rebirth.

4. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

"Well-funded" is the key term there; just raw materials is going to be a beast. Full roof is 21 hectares (or ~13,000 trees) worth of oak, with the long beams requiring 300-400 year old trees. Not sure that's been an option in Europe since the Napoleonic Wars. Hell, outside of architectural salvage I don't think I've ever seen oak beams longer than 24' in the US, much less that 40' sort of range it sounds like some of them are.

I really hope they throw enough money at this to repair it properly though; after 800 years as a symbol of France it just seems worth doing right.

Edit:
    Agreed. I've never been to Paris, but I'd throw money at it regardless. World cultural heritage is important, and I'd like to see it stay around for the future.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find it highly unlikely they'll be rebuilding the interior roofing section with flammable contruction materials. Not after this. With the heritage of the beams literally up in smoke, very little point of risking the same disaster just for authenticity.

But I agree. It'll be all about the money. Macron has apparently already commited to an international fundraising campaign launching tomorrow. I will definitely throw a small contribution at it. One of the best vacations of my life was your typical London>Paris>Rome>&Home sightseeing trip.

Edit:

Looks like only a small swath of the vault collapsed when the spire fell. Everything in the main interior seems to be okay.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I mean, I hate France as much as anyone, but this is enough to make Grounds Keeper Willie weep...

I to would throw in a contribution, monuments like this are what make Humanity what it is.

7. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Apparently they've already managed to raise 450m€ from some billionaire and a bunch of companies so that's a good start!

8. Longsword

Longsword Slug Club Member

Still salty about Rainbow Warrior ?

9. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, Pinault offered 100M for reconstruction and then Arnault of LVMH naturally had to one-up him with 200M this morning.

If you're particularly purist, the damage is irreparable. If you take that there are peak values in the arts, then renovators cannot possibly come close, because then there was an ecosystem to build these cathedrals and generations of carefully transmitted iterations of perfection for each part of labor involved; whereas today no matter how talented the renovator and convenient his tools, he simply does not have the same level of taste, contextual awareness, or sheer devotion of time and apprenticeship [especially in today's transparently profiteering economy... they overbuilt things back then for lack of engineering knowledge] to get close to the original intention.

That being said, there is some hope yet in replication... we have a pretty thorough laser-scan of the Notre Dame somewhere in the academic archives, by a Vassar historian who passed away last November.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Graphic showing damage to Notre Dame

[​IMG]

11. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    WHAT?

Oh, OK. Phew.

13. Nevermind

Nevermind High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Ohhhn that was a good one. As Captain Raymond J. Holt would say: “I laughed out loud… multiple times.”

I usually like my satire a bit more subtle, but “not planted by the Devil” broke me.

14. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

A series of blasts has rocked Sri Lanka, and at least ~130 (CNN source says 138, I saw 129 and 137 elsewhere) people have died in six explosions at churches and hotels.

No identifier on the perpetrators yet.

15. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Unprecedented open letter from central bankers on the financial risks of climate change. Accompanies the Network for Greening the Financial Services' (NGFS) first annual comprehensive report on the issue... a must read for anyone whose work touches climate policy, investment, finance, or organisational strategy. Only 30ish pages long. The NGFS is a network of 34 central banks and their supervisors across five continents, including the national banks of England, France, Germany, Italy, and China.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  16. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I think I need a new desk after planting my head on it...

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Okay explain to me why a loaf of bread is anti-semitic. Because of the oven connotation?

19. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Okay, so you know how Passover is a thing, right? How it's the celebration of the Jews being freed from Egypt, where they had to leave in such a hurry they couldn't wait for the yeast to rise?

Well, that's celebrated by a religious moratorium on the consumption of leavened bread (read: bread in which the yeast has risen).

The Passover well-wishes with leavened bread aren't anti-semitic, unless you're living in the bizarro universe most of twitter seems to reside in, but they are, well, stupid. It's much like if they'd put up a similar image for Ramadan with a big, juicy hamhock on it, or for Lent with a grossly decadent feast, or whatever.

Fundamentally, the whole thing comes down to a dumb mistake that makes it transparently obvious that they don't know the first thing about the religion and are nakedly trying to cash in on the zero-effort PR wins.

20. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Unspeakable DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

It says why they criticised the image in the article giovanni linked, man.