1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've gotta admit, I got a chuckle out of how ever more elaborate the mental gymnastics Iger displayed became to avoid admitting that they made a bunch of shitty movies and that's why no one cares about Star Wars anymore.

2. Salsa

Salsa Groundskeeper

@Agayek

You know Star Wars Theory made his own, non-profit Star Wars video, some long lightsaber-battle with some special effects. Even though he consulted with Disney and promised they wouldn't file a claim for it.

They did.

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

4. Silirt

Silirt Unspeakable DLP Supporter

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

There's two parts to this. Firstly: the government was unable to classify cannabis as a drug with significant health risks back in the 70s (which would put it on the same list as stuff like cocaine and heroin - the latter of which was a big problem in early 70s Amsterdam), nor could they convincingly argue it to be a gateway drug. The result is that a commission advised for possession (up to a certain limit) and usage to be reclassified as - to use US terms - a misdemeanour as opposed to a felony. This, plus the public acceptance of actually smoking it, eventually led to a situation in which small-time dealers were permitted to do their thing because it's a low priority crime and so on. And thus the gedoogbeleid became a thing.

Secondly, why not enforce the law? (Obligatory IANAL notification, btw.) A 1996 governmental memo, cited in my source, gave a triad of reasons for the law to not be enforced in any given situation. These are: blatant injustice (not particularly relevant here), a strong argument that the spirit and goal (i.e. overall health) of the law is better served by permitting (under strict rules) rather than outright prohibiting, and if enforcement would run counter to the best interest of the government/public both. In this case, the legitimate expectation is that there is no real enforcement if you're below the limit, so any change to that would have to be very persuasively argued. At the risk of a very simplistic guess: reasons 2 and 3 were deemed to be relevant here, and apparently continue to be to this day.

There are certainly downsides to the system, and a good amount of them revolve around the distribution of weed to the 'legal' outlets that everyone knows is probably at least partially linked to organised crime. Predictably, the solutions are pretty polarised, and the party with the most clout (generically right wing big tent-esque party somewhat split on social lines) is pretty cautious, though I believe an experiment was approved in parliament earlier this year. WIP, in other words.

Source is a report from a non-profit government-aided institute for mental health and addiction.

6. Silirt

Silirt Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Why not make it legal then? These seem to be perfectly good reasons not to put people in jail for smoking weed, so why have the law on the books? It sounds like something that would confuse visitors, and occasionally cause someone a bit of trouble for no clear reason. Is it a tourist trap or something? (For reference, this does exist. There are towns in my home state that basically make their entire revenue off speeding tickets. There will be a piece of equipment or a truck that's more or less permanently parked so that you can't see the sign until it's too late to slow down.)

7. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

At a guess, any parliamentary majority would be a pretty big battle. All the Christian parties, plus the original right wing populists, are dead set against legalisation, and the aforementioned right wing big tent party is the only one who's not come out on either side officially, and though our PM is a part of the more social faction, there's a good amount of 'war on drugs'-esque hawks around as well. It'd probably be ugly and all that.

Should also mention that technically, the law that governs cannabis use also governs other drug use, it's just a different class and so on. (List 1 stuff - like cocaine etc - does get regulated.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  8. silentclock

silentclock Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah. I mean, the guy's life was over and so it's not exactly outlandish for him to have done this himself. That being said, considering the contacts he had and the dirt he'd likely be able to share with the world, one can't help but be kinda suspicious. Either way, good riddance.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    I dunno, could have at least waited to share the dirt. No consideration for the entertainment for the masses.

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Imagine expecting someone who made a living as a financial manager for billionaires to consider the masses in any of his doings.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Just shows how much a dick he was.

13. silentclock

silentclock Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, this one is intriguing. I mean, the likeliest answer is just that an old cretin whose life was effectively over saw a way out and took it. But as far as conspiracy theories go, the ones here just seem so plausible. If anybody is gonna get himself offed in jail, it’s the guy with info to potentially sink any number of incredibly powerful people.

Especially if he was taken off suicide watch shortly after a suicide attempt. If anybody ever should’ve been locked into a suicide chair, it has to be this guy. The conspiracy theories write themselves.

14. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I've already had one person explain to me how Epstein is very definitely alive and in Cuba. I want to be annoyed by the amount of batshit crazy about to be loosed upon the world, but it's genuinely hard to imagine more fertile ground for conspiracy theories.

15. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...well? How is he alive and in Cuba?

16. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

To summarize the cogent and well reasoned explanation: something, something, "released him subvertly or some billionaire bribed the guards," fake passport, unmemorable nonsense, Hillary's pedophilia ring.

17. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Honestly, it's that last bit that makes me legitimately think it wasn't actually suicide. He'd already made the attempt once and he was an important link in the investigatory chain, there was zero reason to remove him from suicide watch, so it's throwing up all kinds of red flags. It's entirely plausible that it was all above board and the old man didn't see a way that didn't end with him dying in prison, so he took the shortcut, but it's highly suspicious and more than a little convenient for exactly the kind of people who would be able to pull something like this.

I dunno, I'm hoping we find some conclusive evidence one way or the other, but I doubt we ever will.

18. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It could be that the extent of the interference was having him taken off suicide watch. All the theories that will come of this are nothing more than tittilation for the masses.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Prisoner DLP Supporter

And the rumors that the cameras mysteriously malfunctioned... Not sure if its true, but lol

20. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

In other news, does anyone need ideas for what colour to paint their house?

And because this demands pictures: [​IMG]